You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dry January

Rico1304

I can't speak for your friends about that, but for me, it's a social need rather than an alcohol need. If there are viable alternatives I'll often choose them, but I do enjoy going out and having a laugh. Much more than I would a salsa class or a pottery class. I wouldn't mind a game of badminton or squash, but nobody really plays that on a Saturday evening for example.

It is a cultural thing I agree, and I think the next generation don't seem to be into it anywhere near as much as my generation and the generations before were.

If it's just a social thing, why the alcohol? Why don't we (as a nation) all just go out and do the exact same thing, only with no alcohol? I've been to a few places in England, and the culture seems to be pretty similar to Ireland. The majority of people (myself included) go out and get so drunk they can't remember much, spend a fortune and feel like shit for days after.

I was in my local on xmas eve and had 5 pints, went home at half 12 and had a great night.

I went out on saturday and drank a bathful of captain morgans and Guinness, made a fucking tit out of myself and died for about 3 days. (I am the second coming of Christ, yes)

If i trusted myself to stick to 5 pints, I'd be out every weekend. Unfortunately when I reach the point of no return, bad things happen. I say this as I see that that is not a healthy relationship with alcohol, but its all too common IMO.

Feeling drunk is great. For me though, there's just too much lost to justify doing it every weekend. I'd rather just do something fun that doesn't involve booze.

Anyway, believe it or not, I didn't come on here to lecture people about alcohol so i'll stop now.

Have a good one whatever you do.

No I know where you are coming from - it is deeply socially engrained to have a drink.

I am 35 now and my days of going out for the sake of getting smashed are over. I like going out for a social drink. Occasionally I get a little carried away, but less and less. Fact is though, that that is where my friends and the kind of people I get on with gather socially.

• Upvote 2

It is a cultural thing in this country but I much prefer the approach to drinking on the continent where it's seen as OK to go out and have a few drinks and something to eat rather than going out merely to get pissed (and deal with the aftermath). I've just never seen the point in getting shitfaced and I speak as somebody who likes a few drams of a good whiskey every now and then.

• Upvote 1

It is a cultural thing in this country but I much prefer the approach to drinking on the continent where it's seen as OK to go out and have a few drinks and something to eat rather than going out merely to get pissed (and deal with the aftermath). I've just never seen the point in getting shitfaced and I speak as somebody who likes a few drams of a good whiskey every now and then.

As I said, I enjoyed sitting over 5 pints of good Guinness and having a catch up on xmas eve more than the 24 hour clusterfuck of session that happened on saturday. I also hate the feeling of losing control of myself. Drunk me makes ridiculously bad decisions haha.

Very valid points about many people's relationship with alcohol in this thread.

In my case, in the last three jobs I've had which covers the last 20 years, people have thought I'm stand-offish socially because when they organise nights out and stuff I either don't go or slope off early.  The thing is, the usual stuff that gets organised starts with 'OK book a half day off and we can get out for 12pm'.  They can't get their heads round the fact that I don't have any interest in going out on a 12 hour session and getting falling down shitfaced drunk, because that's the way they drink - it has to be all or nothing.  If anybody suggested just going for a few pints, a bite to eat and a chinwag after work I'd be all over it, I just don't want to go out when it's solely a mission to get pissed, I grew out of that when I was about 22.

• Upvote 2

Wankers this lot.

Stop trying to be 'in' just cos some other shallow uninteresting shitehawk you know, did some other 'zany' thing, to raise money for some charity this year, or last year, by not bevvying. You're not mad or, interesting.

Just get 200 notes out of your arse pocket, and donate it to any charity and just stay on the ale - for every fucking month this year.

Zany, or what!?

Dunno about Dry January or anything organised in that way, but this last year has been a real slog, starting in October 2013, so as I am (subject to snapping myself tonight) entering the New Year all well and good, I'm intending to start a healthy regime of diet, fitness and the rest as of next week, to put a credit balance on for once.

I've gone off the ol' drink in the last 5 months. I haven't stopped intentionally, nor have I started to dislike the taste, I just haven't bothered. Since July I've drunk twice - once in London for the NFL in September and at our Christmas party a few weeks ago, both times it was real ale/craft beer and I didn't have a sniff of a hangover. Last time I went off booze I was off it for four years, no idea why I go through these phases.

I've gone off the ol' drink in the last 5 months. I haven't stopped intentionally, nor have I started to dislike the taste, I just haven't bothered. Since July I've drunk twice - once in London for the NFL in September and at our Christmas party a few weeks ago, both times it was real ale/craft beer and I didn't have a sniff of a hangover. Last time I went off booze I was off it for four years, no idea why I go through these phases.

Yeah similar. I drink for the taste now too or when it's warm rather than as simply part of a night out, there's still few things better than a cold bottle of suds on a hot day.

• Upvote 1