You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dry January

Rico1304

I've just had a few pints with an old mate, we used to hammer it. Proper hammer it, 90's in Manchester - work the rest out.

To be honest when I started dry January it was fucking hard. Now it's almost a pleasure.

you used to rim him in french? 

Yeah similar. I drink for the taste now too or when it's warm rather than as simply part of a night out, there's still few things better than a cold bottle of suds on a hot day.

That's true, that's why I like real ale/craft beer so much. Can't beat a tasty pale ale on a warm day.

Done two days so far, not bloody sleeping and feeling terrible - and they say this is good for you?!

Alcohol is a depressant so it reduces brain activity. When you stop drinking your brain 'wakes up' so you have increased brain activity and less sedative, so you can't sleep. Wait until about Monday when you will feel like going to bed at about 9 o'clock and sleeping for 12 hours. Then after about ten days you'll feel great.

I am starting back in the gym later on, so I will sleep like a log tonight.

• Upvote 1

Done two days so far, not bloody sleeping and feeling terrible - and they say this is good for you?!

Think of it as 4 weekends:

First weekend is usually not too bad as you've been hammering it over Xmas

Second weekend is tough as you feel great after 10-14 days of no booze and good sleep

Third weekend you should think "well I've come this far"

Forth weekend you nigh even feel guilty about having a beer.

• Upvote 1

I got so drunk on friday night that yesterday was a write off, slept till about 5/6 (on and off) and then went to bad last night earlyish and just tossed and turned all through the night. I'm having a bit of time off it, not because it is January but because I fucking need it. 

I slept for 12 hours last night. Just been for a carvery and a pint (of lime and soda) and I'm ready for bed again.  I tend to drink like a diabetic eats - little and often! So I notice a difference straight away. I am now in sleepy phase.

I think this time will be a lifestyle change for me. I'm not going to give up drinking, but it's going to become a lot less common.