You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher and Neville analyse Dejan Lovren and Liverpool’s defensive issues

smokinstu

its a good question, why is not on the phone offering Rogers his assistance? Wonder if Carra likes Rogers, could be why he left in the first place. 

He wasn't offered to be kept on, said so himself. Rodgers doesn't like anyone with an opinion, only yes men like Pascoe and marsh who are just made up to be there.

Problem with Carragher is he has no coaching experience (we've got enough like that on the staff) but one thing for sure he wouldn't be afraid to tell Rodgers when and where he's going wrong. That's what he needs.

So a highlighted weakness in Liverpool's game (but somewhat compensated for by a glut of goals down the other end) last season is also a weakness of Lovren's individually, which this season is not being covered by goals at the other end? 

No doubt there are plenty far more educated than me on this subject, but that is what I gleaned from two pretty good defenders of their day on that video. 

The differential in individual errors from Lovren this season compared to last suggests coaching  (or lack of) is definitely playing its part in the problem though. 

So a highlighted weakness in Liverpool's game (but somewhat compensated for by a glut of goals down the other end) last season is also a weakness of Lovren's individually, which this season is not being covered by goals at the other end?

No doubt there are plenty far more educated than me on this subject, but that is what I gleaned from two pretty good defenders of their day on that video.

The differential in individual errors from Lovren this season compared to last suggests coaching (or lack of) is definitely playing its part in the problem though.

Does it not concern you that they can point out something so glaring in rodgers 3rd season which could be so easily addressed but seemingly not by rodgers and his team?

It wouldnt take away from any facet of our attacking game so its not a case of not doing it due to style. Its purely that they hadnt even noticed this despite youd imagine watching and analysing games. For hours on end. It never occurred to them as they blankly stared at replay after replay.

Then the idea you sign a cb who has the same tendencies that was causing us to let in a few goals last year confirms we arent aware of this and our coaching team need to watch sky sports to find out what is wrong after all theyre paid.

It's all a bit after the horse has bolted this analysis.

Carragher and Neville were talking of Lovren as captain fantastic, a vocal player and leader last season. 

I'd put money on Rodgers watching that and wanting to buy him off the back of it. He's got no eye for a player. 

Still think all of defenders would be much better if we had a class DM in front of them. Rodgers stayed way too long with Gerrard in that position and it contributed to the haplessness of Lovren, et al.

Spot on this.

We desperately need a good DM. Just like last season. Just like every season.

With our curerent system Baresi and Maldini, even Alan hansen and Sam Hyypia would look shit.

I'd put money on Rodgers watching that and wanting to buy him off the back of it. He's got no eye for a player. 

What was more worrying was that Rodgers thought sticking Lovren in the backline would remedy all defensive issues that have arisen under his watch. Like his line of " I like my defenders to defend", spiel he spouted. The defending errors and mistakes are nothing to do with me. I use the media to blame Reina, Agger, Mignolet Sakho, Moreno, Skrtel and on and on. Buy more defenders and keepers and we still have groundhog day. 

I'm shocked that a CB who's flanked by under-performing / makeshift fullbacks, and given the protection of a flappy keeper behind him and no dedicated DM in front, looks nervy as hell. Must be the player. Time to buy more CBs in January.

If only we had some young highly rated international CB bought from a CL club sat on the bench.

What was more worrying was that Rodgers thought sticking Lovren in the backline would remedy all defensive issues that have arisen under his watch. Like his line of " I like my defenders to defend", spiel he spouted. The defending errors and mistakes are nothing to do with me. I use the media to blame Reina, Agger, Mignolet Sakho, Moreno, Skrtel and on and on. Buy more defenders and keepers and we still have groundhog day. 

It was also the whole "Lovren is going to the be the leader and organiser" shite over the summer which Rodgers was coming out with (and Carragher as well).

Well he hasn't been at all, but why can't Rodgers and his minions organise the defence? If he's this superstar coach he's billed as (as opposed to a glorified Kevin Keegan) why can't he get his defenders to defend?

It's not just the defence either, you defend from the front and you need a DM. That great Barca side he tried to base his career on defended from the front better than anyone you'll see with their pressing; they also had Busquets sat in front of Puyol and Pique. You could rarely score against them because you could rarely get the ball off them and when you did they won it straight back. 

• Upvote 1