Quantcast
Chromecast question - TNF - Techy Nerd Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Midnight Rambler

Chromecast question

I got one of these in hope that I could watch films I buy off iTunes on my tv. I've just installed it and can watch YouTube & iplayer fine but is it possible to just stream a video you've bought directly off iTunes?

You can push anything running in a chrome browser to it, so if you have the movie file, it's no problem and I do that all the time, not sure about iTunes though as I've never bought a movie through it. As far as I know though if you use Mac Osx or Chrome OS there's beta functionality of chromecast that allows you to push the entire contents of your screen. I tried it on my Mac once and it was kinda ok, but clearly buggy and beta.
  • Upvote 1

Not had any problems myself. What speed's your internet? Then again, even when I had 2mbps it was running smooth. Interference with the WiFi maybe?

Ive had problems streaming from my phone in good quality and throwing it up on the chromecast, it studders.

is this when the media file is on your phone? in which case could the problem not be your phone? i know apps like netflix, even if you cast from your phone, once running your phone is then pretty much excluded from the IP traffic - the chromescast at that point talks directly to netflix, even thogh you can pause etc from your phone. i have watch HD from netflix - so effectively internet to chromecast and never seen that type of issue. 

no thats when  im streaming files (showbox) onto my phone, i can watch the files easy on my phone, but when i put the streaming through my phone and up on chromecast it studders. 

Been having a play with one this week and I like it. Xbmc works fine just casting the screen from my Oneplus One using the Chromecast app. Showbox and Localcast works great on a Nexus tablet.

Got one of these the other day but wifi is shit in the living room so not been able to use it yet. Looks like I need to invest in a wifi extender as well now

Got one of these the other day but wifi is shit in the living room so not been able to use it yet. Looks like I need to invest in a wifi extender as well now

you deffo need good wifi - even if it is a bit patchy, things like netflix will automatically run in SD I think. 

Been having a play with one this week and I like it. Xbmc works fine just casting the screen from my Oneplus One using the Chromecast app. Showbox and Localcast works great on a Nexus tablet.

How have you got your xbmc to work with Chromecast? I cant work it out. It doesnt work with the 'cast the whole page' option for me.

How have you got your xbmc to work with Chromecast? I cant work it out. It doesnt work with the 'cast the whole page' option for me.

It seems to depend on what device you are using. It works great from my Oneplus but seems a bit blocky occasionally on a Nexus tablet. My Hudl did not give me the option to cast screen. Not tried it with a computer.

I am seriously contemplating getting one of these but kids hamper the time on the TV. I have an old xbox 360 in the bedroom so if I plugged it into that would it work on the TV?

I am seriously contemplating getting one of these but kids hamper the time on the TV. I have an old xbox 360 in the bedroom so if I plugged it into that would it work on the TV?

The Chromecast just plugs straight into the HDMI socket on your telly.

I got one of these for Christmas but have no great use for it as I'm shite with tech. We have a smart TV downstairs so can already watch Netflix, YouTube and iPlayer on that. It's handy for putting BT Sport on the telly as I normally just use my mates login and watch the game on my phone/laptop. Can stream Netflix to the telly in bed through my phone too which is alright.

What else should I be doing with it? Is there an easy way to stream new films and stuff through my phone onto the Chromecast? Or even from the Mac without having to download loads of stuff?