You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Time to upgrade to SSD?

Rotpeter

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Its a late 2010, so the thick aluminium one. The glass is held on by magnets,  which from a few youtube videos suggests you can get them off with the suction cups from the body scrubber things in your shower.

Yeah, that's a stroke of luck. They take some tugging, from what I read at the time. Better than the old white ones, though. I think they were all glued up and that. Maybe have a look at the proper suction cups. £2.50 on Amazon. Can't knock that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-2-inch-Mini-Suction-Cup/dp/B0036W70BG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418854269&sr=8-2&keywords=suction+cups

With a fresh install of OS X and an SSD, you should feel a huge bump in general use. What CPU did that one come with? The 3.06 core 2 duo? or was it an i5 by then?

Yea that's the video I watched. They don't replace the hard drive though, just install a second one. Would I just follow that, but dump the old one out and slide the new one in it's place? Same cables and everything I assume? They sell the hard drives, and the kits to install too.

I think it was the i5 one, but I'm not sure. Can't even turn it on to check either.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I added a second one, which is swapping the HD for an SSD. Is yours the 27 or the 21?

I'd just buy a SSD (something like the Samsung 840 EVO) from Amazon and throw it in there using that guide. Then you'll need to reinstall the OS, either using a CD that came with it, or you can make a USB which is much easier and quicker. That said, if you've no mac you'll have to do the CD that came with it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's a 27. And I have a macbook too, which I've managed to download the OS from the app store and stuck it onto one of my externals to give it a test run, but running it through the usb connection sucks.

Yeah, big time. If you download the os from the App Store onto your macbook, then make a USB stick with Unibeast following the step by step, you'll be able to install it via that. I checked and Mavericks (10.10) works on your iMac. Should be all sorted after that.