You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Toshack

Gnasher

Just heard him speaking on the radio, he deserves his own thread. On the board at Swansea, Often Commentates on Spanish football,, speaking good football sense as always, saying Brendan needs a more knowledgeable football set up around him, spoke of how the man above him must take some of the blame (Ayre ?) said how he never signed a player without speaking to Shanks, and at the time he was top of the table. Said every new player should be reminded of the expectations when joining a club as massive as Liverpool.

I'd have him as director of football tommorow, and judging by his interview with radio Wales he'd take the job. I don't know why Rodgers didnt bring him with him. The mans a winner.

That bit does my head in. It's just so mind-numbingly facile. You could write about the expectations of the club, on the inside of Balotelli's fucking eyelids, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

If there is one thing this club actually knows how to do, it's bombard new players with our history, but this is meaningless bollocks. Just like pashun. If we only had more pashun than the other teams we'd win. A nice easy line that means fuck all but can be repeated up and down the country on forums, rags, and studios ad nauseam.   

• Upvote 1

John Toshack is always scoring.....

I remember a game many moons ago when Toshack went on a mazy run beating 3 defenders before falling over, the astonished Kop loved it and broke out into the song. Great player.

haha!  I remember that as well.  It was the way he'd fall down that used to do me in.  He'd go down like a tree.  

First of all, forcing someone like this on top of Rodgers would be stupid in my opinion.

Second of all, he's been out of the game at the top level for quite a while. It wouldnt end well.

it won't happen Robbie, it's just a fanciful what if.  

The only one sitting on top of Rodgers will be his hot bint.  

• Upvote 2

I'd wager Keegans movement would still be better than Balotelli's even now.

Keegan was immense, our most underrated player of all time for my money. Over time it's become a myth that his enthusiasm made up for his lack of ability, astonishingly Keegan himself has even subscribed to this theory, it's utter nonsense, wonderful player.

• Upvote 4

Somebody like Tosh would be great to oversee Rodgers at the club.

Always remember the Swansea game at Anfield just after Shanks died and Toshack came back as their manager and they were league leaders. Toshack was gutted but the game was fit for Shanks,a 2-2 draw after we were 2 down I think?

One of the most emotionally charged games Ive ever been to.

Loves our club too.

I'm sure Brendan would love the manager of Wydad Casablanca coming in to oversee everything he does. 

Stevie Heighway's always running
John Toshack is always scoring
Then you'll hear the Koptites roaring
Toshack is our king
Men of Anfield here's our story
We have gone from great to glory
We're the greatest team in Europe
Toshack is our king !

Toshack! Toshack! Toshack!

Not sure of some of those lyrics though! Seem to think they were different.

• Upvote 1

Great player how many players could change the course of a final by being left out like he did in 73 when Monchengladbach were pretty comfortable till it was abandoned ...

The following day Bill dropped Hall put Tosh in and the Germans suffered their worst ariel bombardment since Hamburg....the rest is history as they say.

Also scored the winner v Barcelona with Cruyff and co at the Nou Camp to become the only English side to win there till erm we did in 07. And should have scored the most dramatic league goal in our history that would have won the league in 72 against Arsenal till a twat of a ref disallowed it with two minutes to go.

Fantastic player and an insult to even mention Lambert in the same thread as him..Keegan and Toshack were the best double act of the seventies pushed close only by Morecambe and Wise

• Upvote 3

Great player how many players could change the course of a final by being left out like he did in 73 when Monchengladbach were pretty comfortable till it was abandoned ...

The following day Bill dropped Hall put Tosh in and the Germans suffered their worst ariel bombardment since Hamburg....the rest is history as they say.

Also scored the winner v Barcelona with Cruyff and co at the Nou Camp to become the only English side to win there till erm we did in 07. And should have scored the most dramatic league goal in our history that would have won the league in 72 against Arsenal till a twat of a ref disallowed it with two minutes to go.

Fantastic player and an insult to even mention Lambert in the same thread as him..Keegan and Toshack were the best double act of the seventies pushed close only by Morecambe and Wise

It's a fantastic story that game in 73.  The ultimate game-changer.  Toshack was (and to some of us, still is) a hero.  

Used to watch Sgorio on S4C as they were the only people who ever showed highlights of La Liga and Serie A. Toshack was the manager of Real Madrid when they had a really good side.

It was like watching a Welsh version of Channel 9 off the Fast Show. Just a load of people sounding like they were coughing phlegm up then "John Toshack A Real Madrid" then back to the phlegm again.