You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Toshack

Gnasher

Just heard him speaking on the radio, he deserves his own thread. On the board at Swansea, Often Commentates on Spanish football,, speaking good football sense as always, saying Brendan needs a more knowledgeable football set up around him, spoke of how the man above him must take some of the blame (Ayre ?) said how he never signed a player without speaking to Shanks, and at the time he was top of the table. Said every new player should be reminded of the expectations when joining a club as massive as Liverpool.

I'd have him as director of football tommorow, and judging by his interview with radio Wales he'd take the job. I don't know why Rodgers didnt bring him with him. The mans a winner.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Was Toshack at Swansea when Rodgers was there? In any case, when have you ever heard of a manager being appointed and then getting to choose his director of football? The point about the relative inexperience of Rodgers and his coaching staff is a valid one though.

I remember i saw him dining in Cardiff docks when he was manager of Wales, they got battered that night against some non entities and he was with Roy Evans and a young blonde side piece who i think was with Roy. Toshack spent the whole time looking like he was trying to get into some bird who was the manager of the restaurant, sexy older woman, even my bird acknowledged she was fit. A bit of a champagne charlie with the drinks and the meals like, looked like he'd be a good laugh.

Was Toshack at Swansea when Rodgers was there? In any case, when have you ever heard of a manager being appointed and then getting to choose his director of football? The point about the relative inexperience of Rodgers and his coaching staff is a valid one though.

I'm not sure if Toshack was there with Rodgers. I know he's very good friends with Huw Jenkins, the Cheif Executive main man at the club. It's been thought for a long time that Toshack has been the brains behind Swansea's success.

As an aside, I love how when he was in Spain, he used to translate British sayings directly into Spanish, ensuring they came out as gobbledegook. Getting blank looks from saying "He couldn't trap a bag of cement" in a press conference from the assembled Spanish media.

I remember reading that Real Madrid were facing one of those mad permutations ahead of their last Champions League group game one year and Toshack was reminded of this in his pre-match interview and replied "There's more than one way to skin a cat." Camera cuts back to the anchor and pundits aghast in the studio at the prospect of the Real Madrid manager going off to murder a cat.

• Upvote 1

As an aside, I love how when he was in Spain, he used to translate British sayings directly into Spanish, ensuring they came out as gobbledegook. Getting blank looks from saying "He couldn't trap a bag of cement" in a press conference from the assembled Spanish media.

I remember reading that Real Madrid were facing one of those mad permutations ahead of their last Champions League group game one year and Toshack was reminded of this in his pre-match interview and replied "There's more than one way to skin a cat." Camera cuts back to the anchor and pundits aghast in the studio at the prospect of the Real Madrid manager going off to murder a cat.

haha!  excellent

Somebody like Tosh would be great to oversee Rodgers at the club.

Always remember the Swansea game at Anfield just after Shanks died and Toshack came back as their manager and they were league leaders. Toshack was gutted but the game was fit for Shanks,a 2-2 draw after we were 2 down I think?

One of the most emotionally charged games Ive ever been to.

Loves our club too.

• Upvote 3

Said how he never signed a player without speaking to Shanks, and at the time he was top of the table. 

There was an interview I remember reading somewhere with Shanks after he retired and the journalist had said Shankly was always getting phone calls and talking about players and at some point while the guy was there had put the phone down and said something along the lines of "I'm running half the clubs in the country" because he was asked for advice so much.