You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Toshack

Gnasher

I've bored people on here before about winning the title at Molineux , Easytoslip.

Tosh was involved in the Keegan goal as I remember & that game is probably my favourite non-European night memory.

A brilliant night after being 1-0 down. That was the first time Id ever run on a pitch. There were so many of us the coppers didnt know which ones to catch!

Only got in at three-quarter time when the gates opened & managed to cop for all of our 3 goals

Real old school with Reds sat all around the cinder track around the pitch ( & on the pitch after each goal.)

Still get goose pimples when I think of being stuck on the M6 coming home and hearing YNWA floating the length of the traffic jam out of all the car windows.

Great player how many players could change the course of a final by being left out like he did in 73 when Monchengladbach were pretty comfortable till it was abandoned ...

The following day Bill dropped Hall put Tosh in and the Germans suffered their worst ariel bombardment since Hamburg....the rest is history as they say.

Also scored the winner v Barcelona with Cruyff and co at the Nou Camp to become the only English side to win there till erm we did in 07. And should have scored the most dramatic league goal in our history that would have won the league in 72 against Arsenal till a twat of a ref disallowed it with two minutes to go.

Fantastic player and an insult to even mention Lambert in the same thread as him..Keegan and Toshack were the best double act of the seventies pushed close only by Morecambe and Wise

That UEFA Cup Final was great. Couldnt get to the first game so was well pleased when it got rained off. Admission for the second game was something like 18 swiss francs or 10p in our money!

First time Id ever seen a side out warming up 30 minutes before kick off too. Always used to be a 5 minute run around and chuck a few crosses over for the keeper to catch and that was it.

Hall was pissed off at being dropped but yes, it was a masterstroke by Shankly. Remember keegan and Netzer going down in the box in front of the Kop and Keegan offering his hand to help Netzer up. Only Netzer was a heavy chap and Kev had to put his back into it to get Netzer's arse off the ground.

• Upvote 1

Hes not the kind of football man our fanbase would appreciate as we can see from reactions this season.

Look what he done as wales manager, he stuck to a footballing philosophy instead of playing defensive football which was easier for his players to play.This would not work at our club as as soon as results dip most would want us to revert to a defensive style as shown.

That bit does my head in. It's just so mind-numbingly facile. You could write about the expectations of the club, on the inside of Balotelli's fucking eyelids, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

If there is one thing this club actually knows how to do, it's bombard new players with our history, but this is meaningless bollocks. Just like pashun. If we only had more pashun than the other teams we'd win. A nice easy line that means fuck all but can be repeated up and down the country on forums, rags, and studios ad nauseam.

That bit does my head in. It's just so mind-numbingly facile. You could write about the expectations of the club, on the inside of Balotelli's fucking eyelids, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

If there is one thing this club actually knows how to do, it's bombard new players with our history, but this is meaningless bollocks. Just like pashun. If we only had more pashun than the other teams we'd win. A nice easy line that means fuck all but can be repeated up and down the country on forums, rags, and studios ad nauseam.

In fairness to Toshack i think he was making the point of the then Liverpool boot room making sure you were mentally tough and ready, so you would not be a bottle job once hitting the pitch. I think it was a nice way of saying a lot of Liverpools recent signings are a load of spineless bastards.

I remember he once scored a hatrick for Wales against a very good Scotland side, Toshack was awesome that day, the centre half for Scotland was a young Alan Hansen. To compere him to Rickie Lambert,(who i like) because he didnt run very fast is ludicrous. Toshack scored 97 goals for Liverpool, and many in big games, assisted god knows how many.

Toshack said when Shankly picked him up from the train station on the first day he joined Liverpool how he felt? Toshack replied he felt like a kid on the first day of Sunday school, Shankly replied no son you're at the Vatican now. I think that's what Toshack was talking about when he said some of our players should realise what the expectations are, our signings are not strong enough mentally. It's not some lazy soundbite, its something that should be drummed into them.