You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where do we go from here?

Barnesey

I'm happy if Rodgers has to the end of the season. I reckon it will 'click' for us and we'll start stringing wins together. It has to.

I won't be happy but I'm sure he'll get to the end of this season. As for clicking, what is the sound that shite makes when it clicks? If the players he bought really are that bad, then nothing will happen.

I think I've reached the end of the road with Henderson and Allen.

On their day they are excellent industrious players but we're seeing so little quality from them now, virtually nil, and that's NOT overstating it. I wish it was, but it isn't, they are passengers when they should be match-winners.

I can tolerate Lucas for the moment, but it's so short-term, I'm talking May 2015 we need to close the chapter on Lucas.

See, I have a difficult time rationalising something. Someone like Skrtel, he's a wank defender for us. For us.

Now, if he played under Mourinho, would he be a much better defender, a top defender? Is our problem one of average players, or is it one of having coaches and managers who cannot 'get through' to our wank players? Johnson, Skrtel, Mignolet, Enrique, Sakho, Lovren, almost the entire team, are we doing them a disservice by not having a proper management team in place, or are these players so mentally weak and lazy that they would not respond to any top coaching?

I think there's a lack of professional integrity at the club, it all seems like a laugh. Whereas you look at Chelsea, or Madrid, or Bayern, and it's very business-like at training and matchday, it's just intensity and excellence, the players don't seem to smile, it's just gritted teeth and putting everything on the line. I don't get that impression with us, the defeats don't seem to hurt, there seems to be no psychological fall-out from defeat, which is worrying because I don't think it hurts them enough.

And it all flows into one. So, the manager comes out in front of the cameras and offers sweet nothings, excuses, possible reasons why the team isn't performing. And from there, the players seem impervious to defeat, it's 'just a job' to them, they 'go again'. Well, no, how about stopping a minute, looking around at the fans, and seeing what yet another shitty display of moral fibre and professionalism has led to again. Kids crying on the Kop, weekends ruined for grown men, a growing layer of dust on our mighty trophy cabinet, it's all so fucking upsetting and frustrating and demoralising for millions of people around the world who follow the reds, and those who pay the money each week to go the game. Do our players even pay attention, or are they too busy tweeting fucking garbage and trying to get a new contract with us. It's disgusting behaviour.

So, where do we go from here?

First question has to be, 'are these players good enough'?

Second question has to be, 'who decides that'?

Personally, I'd have a firesale this January. Fuck the Summer, we do our shopping now and steal a march on our 'rivals' by being ready to go in August, with 8 months of games and training behind a new set of players, and possibly a new manager.

Skrtel, Johnson, Enrique, Mignolet, Gerrard, Lambert, Borini, Balotelli, Jones, all should be sold on this January. I don't really care how much we get for them, since when has anything we've done been about balancing the books? We've shit the bed and we can't keep on changing the sheets, it's time to throw the fucking mattress out and buy a new one. Costly, yes, but at least it's not covered in fucking shit.

I'd then be assessing Sakho, Flanno, Henderson, Allen, Lallana and Sturridge over the next few months to decide on their futures, because you can't build a squad around flaky players, be it from an injury point of view or otherwise. I think Allen could kick on with a proper team around him, and I think Henderson could be a quality right back, but I don't see his future in midfield for a top side, like we should be aiming to be.

So what you proposing is selling half our squad for nothing, discarding one of our greatest ever players like a piece of rubbish, then building a team around Joe Allen? 

I don't think Gerrard can play with his back to goal. Never have. He hasn't got the legs to play his traditional role and dropped back to great effect last season when there was some movement in front of him. I think he would make a very good centre back.

Aren't they the wrong way round?

Gerrard did not play well for 75 minutes last night, and thats solely down to his body physically not being able to do what it could, nothing he can do about that. However, when we finally got on top it was Gerrard dictating things, it didn't always come off, but it was him playing the incisive passes, pushing on his teammates, scoring the goal that no one on our team could score in a million years in a pressure situation. He eeked something out when there isn't much left in him.  Talent wise he is obviously superior to the rest of them, and mentally, he is on a completely different planet to the rest of them.

I wouldn't sell him unless he wants to be sold. He deserves at least that much.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Gerrard can play with his back to goal. Never have. He hasn't got the legs to play his traditional role and dropped back to great effect last season when there was some movement in front of him. I think he would make a very good centre back.

Aren't they the wrong way round?

Maybe, but isn't that the whole problem now? Is it the players or the manager?is he being let down by them, or is he himself the obstacle between them being shit or good?

Always easier to replace a manager than a load of players, but not always the right solution.

If I could I'd shut the club down for six months pending an investigation. Far too much skullduggery between committes, Rodgers, FSG, we haven't a clue whos got the final say in what, and who benefits from that lack of clear culpability?

Fucking bullshit, there's nothing left to love. It's just grown men playing fucking games.

So what you proposing is selling half our squad for nothing, discarding one of our greatest ever players like a piece of rubbish, then building a team around Joe Allen?

I'm proposing doing the groundwork for the next ten years now, and not in the Summer as it would write off next season already. Whereas this season is already a write-off, so let's get on with it.

Gerrard still needs replacing. Nice free kick, but he was fucking nowhere for 70 minutes, again. Great impact sub, and that's the end of this rediculous conversation. He's almost 35, fucks sake.

Allen COULD be a future starter, but I'm not saying that's definite, it's upto him and what's built around him. It won't break my heart to sell him to Fulham if it duesnt work out, but let's keep him until we definitely know.

Gerrard did not play well for 75 minutes last night, and thats solely down to his body physically not being able to do what it could, nothing he can do about that. However, when we finally got on top it was Gerrard dictating things, it didn't always come off, but it was him playing the incisive passes, pushing on his teammates, scoring the goal that no one on our team could score in a million years in a pressure situation. He eeked something out when there isn't much left in him.  Talent wise he is obviously superior to the rest of them, and mentally, he is on a completely different planet to the rest of them.

I wouldn't sell him unless he wants to be sold. He deserves at least that much.

He wasnt alone in that fact. The other players are 10 and more years his junior, what's their excuse?

Gerrard's contract is up in July, so he wont be sold and I cant see him leaving in January.

TBH, if I was Stevie I'd say fuck it and leave.

Funneeee's pathological hatred of Gerrard aside,  he is right that a lot of players need to be hooked.  Not the players he suggests, necessarily.  

There is a pervasive sense of failure amongst this lot.  No-one wants to take responsibility.  I think Coutinho's been poor this season, but as next to useless as he has been, you cannot accuse him of lacking guts and willingness to take the bull by the horns.  

The same with Allen, and Lallana.  They aren't afraid to play the ball that creates an opportunity.   Sterling has withdrawn into his shell, Lambert is only going to benefit with service in the right area, and Lucas and Henderson are not good or brave enough.  That back four last night should be joining those two, Borini and Balotelli in the January sales.  

Clearly, that's not going to happen, but it would be inject a bit of energy and positivity if it did.  

The biggest decision to make, imo, is whether to go all out and try to win the El, or slide out of that competition and try to move up the table in the PL.

Based on his own statements, Rodgers can't manage both competitions, worse now there'll be 

even less time between matches. By the first week in January we may be so far behind 4th place that the decision will be made for him.

The biggest decision to make, imo, is whether to go all out and try to win the El, or slide out of that competition and try to move up the table in the PL.

Based on his own statements, Rodgers can't manage both competitions, worse now there'll be 

even less time between matches. By the first week in January we may be so far behind 4th place that the decision will be made for him.

If his target was top 4 qualification, then he can achieve that by being in both competitions, so he can't really put his eggs in one basket.

He wasnt alone in that fact. The other players are 10 and more years his junior, what's their excuse?

Gerrard's contract is up in July, so he wont be sold and I cant see him leaving in January.

TBH, if I was Stevie I'd say fuck it and leave.

I don't want him sold or pushed out. He is still an excellent footballer and is suffering like the rest of them from having no strikers. If they let him leave it would be one more fuck up to add to the litany of fuck ups we have seen since the end of last season

I don't hate Gerrard, I hate that we have a 35 year old who's integral to our side. No other top club is doing this and there's a good reason why, he's not as fit as a 20-30 year old, it's impossible. The only one who came close to it in recent years is Giggs, but he was naturally a superb athlete, through genetics, a freak if you will.

You look at Lampard, he's not starting every game for City. Mourinho let him leave Chelsea, there's a big clue that age becomes a big problem in terms of fitness and athleticism. Xavi at Barca? Even he's starting to wane, and he was in the FIFA World XI last year. But even he was ready to realise that his time was up, he almost retired to the MLS or Qatar this Summer, but was convinced to sign a 1 year extension, and that runs out this Summer.

There's nothing sordid or 'out of order' about suggesting that our captain needs replacing. I find the whole counter-argument to be fucking childish and immature. You run a club with your head, not your heart.

If the yanks aren't willing to give him any money to sign some players in January then sack him now please because it's ultimately pointless otherwise

I agree.

Not only does it seem madness to “go again” when so many of our transfers have been poor, but on a practical level, trying to assimilate even more players compounds our difficulties.

I’m all for backing managers and giving them time, when there is a case, equally, there are occasions when a managers tenure is doomed, Scholari and AVB at Chelsea, Gross at Spurs, Gollum at Man u spring to mind.

In the absence of obvious candidates, Stevie G might “do a Giggs” and perform a player manager role till the end of the season.

I don't hate Gerrard, I hate that we have a 35 year old who's integral to our side. No other top club is doing this and there's a good reason why, he's not as fit as a 20-30 year old, it's impossible. The only one who came close to it in recent years is Giggs, but he was naturally a superb athlete, through genetics, a freak if you will.

You look at Lampard, he's not starting every game for City. Mourinho let him leave Chelsea, there's a big clue that age becomes a big problem in terms of fitness and athleticism. Xavi at Barca? Even he's starting to wane, and he was in the FIFA World XI last year. But even he was ready to realise that his time was up, he almost retired to the MLS or Qatar this Summer, but was convinced to sign a 1 year extension, and that runs out this Summer.

There's nothing sordid or 'out of order' about suggesting that our captain needs replacing. I find the whole counter-argument to be fucking childish and immature. You run a club with your head, not your heart.

You run a team with your best players, not their fucking age.

It aint gerrard's fault no previous manager has found a suitable replacement for him.

I'll say it again, who's better at the club than Gerrard? Its fine banging on about buying a replacement but who's his quality who's going to come here?

We're a basket case club living on former glories and tradition

Where do we go from here?

It's a question that isn't going to go away, look forward 5/6 months and the chances are we won't be in Europe next season, not even Europa League, then what? we'll have a quite a big squad full of averageness again with plenty of loan players coming back, some promising ones too who should really be getting a chance in the first team during next season, how are all these players going to be getting games along with whatever summer signings we make?

I still think these things are fixable....but name me one club that built itself on a completely wide open, attacking style of play and actively competed, every year, for their domestic title and the CL, while giving up goals in almost every game. I can't think of any. If you can name me a squad like that, then show me the year they decided to go into games playing a single striker and carrying ZERO strikers on the bench.

Every single club out there that is at a level we should be aiming to build towards, has one of the top 10-20 goalkeepers in the world and at least one or two world class defenders. It's not just about "building from the back" or playing conservative football.....it's about at least being able to control a game when plan A isn't working and generally having a balanced team. 

The biggest indictment is the fact that most of us can't even name a clear first 11, or their strongest formation. 

So where do we go?

If you're one of the ones who thinks everything will be ok if we just wait it out - I think you're delusional, but I admire the confidence, really. 

If BR stays, I hope there are serious changes to the management structure. Introduce a DOF, a defensive coach, overhaul the transfer committee, anything that will concretely address his weaknesses. If I were him and FSG offered me that instead of being fired, I'd take it in a heartbeat (surely even he has to realize he needs help and if things stay the same he'll be out by summer).

If he's replaced, I think we're in for another "re-building" phase....As much as I've lost confidence in Rodgers, I don't think more change is good for the club right now. This could be an incredibly stupid suggestion, but if BR goes, why not give Pascoe a shot. It might be a fresh perspective without having to completely throw away the side (which is what I think would happen if Rafa or Klopp or any other big name came in). 

If you read all that, that was me saying I don't have a clue where to go from here  :mellow:

I still think these things are fixable....but name me one club that built itself on a completely wide open, attacking style of play and actively competed, every year, for their domestic title and the CL, while giving up goals in almost every game. I can't think of any. If you can name me a squad like that, then show me the year they decided to go into games playing a single striker and carrying ZERO strikers on the bench.

Every single club out there that is at a level we should be aiming to build towards, has one of the top 10-20 goalkeepers in the world and at least one or two world class defenders. It's not just about "building from the back" or playing conservative football.....it's about at least being able to control a game when plan A isn't working and generally having a balanced team. 

The biggest indictment is the fact that most of us can't even name a clear first 11, or their strongest formation. 

So where do we go?

If you're one of the ones who thinks everything will be ok if we just wait it out - I think you're delusional, but I admire the confidence, really. 

If BR stays, I hope there are serious changes to the management structure. Introduce a DOF, a defensive coach, overhaul the transfer committee, anything that will concretely address his weaknesses. If I were him and FSG offered me that instead of being fired, I'd take it in a heartbeat (surely even he has to realize he needs help and if things stay the same he'll be out by summer).

If he's replaced, I think we're in for another "re-building" phase....As much as I've lost confidence in Rodgers, I don't think more change is good for the club right now. This could be an incredibly stupid suggestion, but if BR goes, why not give Pascoe a shot. It might be a fresh perspective without having to completely throw away the side (which is what I think would happen if Rafa or Klopp or any other big name came in). 

If you read all that, that was me saying I don't have a clue where to go from here  :mellow:

Pascoe ehhhhhhhhhhh