You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO stevebaby

Champ

I would think that taking Steve to Brisbane and adelaide for the games in July would be a fitting send off. Maybe green Jesus could also make an appearance with the local lads.

Also I shared this with Kev earlier but I was sent a message from Robbie a few days ago

He wanted it shared with all his friends ( which unfortunately means us)

" sorry to hear that and nothing can ever say can make it better...

Thinking of you all at this terribly sad time... YNWA"

If there's more of a class act than Robbie Fowler and the lads at 5times I'm yet to meet them

• Upvote 12

Thanks, Kev. And Cev and Alex and Nath.

Right, folks, heads together for (a) fitting tribute(s) to Steve?

Apologies if that came across as a bit 'on with the next thing'; I really didnt mean that at all. You have all been absolutely immense and I know you will say it was a pleasure/nothing really but it was a fantastic gesture and I just wish I could buy you all a pint and give you a great big hug of thanks in person.

But I wouldn't like to let this slip so if there's anything I can do to help organise something in Steve's memory count me in

Apologies if that came across as a bit 'on with the next thing'; I really didnt mean that at all. You have all been absolutely immense and I know you will say it was a pleasure/nothing really but it was a fantastic gesture and I just wish I could buy you all a pint and give you a great big hug of thanks in person.

But I wouldn't like to let this slip so if there's anything I can do to help organise something in Steve's memory count me in

I don't think anyone took it the wrong way, and you're right, this shouldn't slip. His life has touched us all (some in a more pervy way than others) and it would be fitting that we recognise that. The suggestion from Furmege is fab, and if not in the program maybe in the fanzine if Dave is ok with it?

Same as you, what ever is decided, count me in.

I'm just back from a 5 day trip to Melbourne with the out laws Cath so a bit jaded at the minute, whatever anyone wants to come up with is sound by  me. It could be a really good article for Usher on one of his media conglomerates, short story about the power of the fanzine and the footy communities. 

I spent a good 20 minutes in the Jacuzzi this morning wondering how likely it is we could "borrow" green Jesus and get him to Adelaide or Brisbane, would be a heist Steve would appreciate, just not sure on ending up on the news for nicking a statue from a palliative care garden! 

• Upvote 2

Thanks, Kev. And Cev and Alex and Nath.

Right, folks, heads together for (a) fitting tribute(s) to Steve?

Just an idea but James Pearces 'Blood Red' collumn in the football echo of a Saturday (pink pullout bit in the main Liverpool Echo) is usually good for mentions on this sort of thing.

I'd happily get in touch with him myself but I don't think I know half the full story of what has happened with Steve and have only flitted in this thread from time to time.

His twitter handle is @jamespearceecho, and by all account seems a good red.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho 

Banner with a photo of Green Jesus on one flank, and Gandy's head 'shopped onto Gandhi's body on the other. In the middle - SURRENDER, FOR WE CARRY THE POWER OF GREEN JESUS AND THE WISDOM OF GANDY WITH US!

I love the banner idea. How do we make it happen.

Just an idea but James Pearces 'Blood Red' collumn in the football echo of a Saturday (pink pullout bit in the main Liverpool Echo) is usually good for mentions on this sort of thing.

I'd happily get in touch with him myself but I don't think I know half the full story of what has happened with Steve and have only flitted in this thread from time to time.

His twitter handle is @jamespearceecho, and by all account seems a good red.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho

I like the idea of this too.

I am gutted Steve didnt have much of a family. Who knows what happens in families but from where I'm sat it feels very much like their loss. But I would so love to have been able to show them what he inspired in us

Would it be in bad taste to share Ste's story (what little of it I know) with people I know on FB?

I'd just like more people to know about this sad yet wonderful tale.

Gandy was an inspiration to many of us on here, and many more people who actually knew him (I'm sure), I certainly don't think sharing Steve's story would be in any way disrespectful.

• Upvote 1

Gandy was an inspiration to many of us on here, and many more people who actually knew him (I'm sure), I certainly don't think sharing Steve's story would be in any way disrespectful.

This.

It's a story of great kindness, amazing will and fight from a dying man and lots of both laughter and tears.

It's a story I'm proud to have read, let alone spoke to the guy.

• Upvote 4

Just saw a post on Gandyji's FB page from his aunt I think it is.

Ste's funeral service will be on Monday at 3pm Sydney time (4am GMT) at Rookwood Cemetery.

I have also called Sacred Heart which was the palliative care hospice that Ste was staying in. The lady told me it is publicly funded through St

Vincents hospital but they do accept donations.

I thanked all the staff, nurses and doctors for everything that they did for Ste and how appreciative we all were for their efforts in looking after him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just saw a post on Gandyji's FB page from his aunt I think it is.

Ste's funeral service will be on Monday at 3pm Sydney time (4am GMT) at Rookwood Cemetery.

I have also called Sacred Heart which was the palliative care hospice that Ste was staying in. The lady told me it is publicly funded through St

Vincents hospital but they do accept donations.

I thanked all the staff, nurses and doctors for everything that they did for Ste and how appreciative we all were for their efforts in looking after him.

Thanks for letting us know.

Are you going to go to the service, Kev?

Would it be in bad taste to share Ste's story (what little of it I know) with people I know on FB?

I'd just like more people to know about this sad yet wonderful tale.

Not at all.  There cant be a single person who has read this and the cancer thread that hasnt been moved by the way Steve faced his illness and his own mortality. When there is so much fear about cancer and death I think its a story that ought to be told. No better tribute to the man, I'd say