You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any suffer with lower back problems?

Elite

I have had a bad lower back for a few years and it's getting worse. Not sure what I can try that may help.

I may even start doing plunge pool sessions after I have been in the gym (I lift weights but avoid exercises that put pressure on my lower back.)

I have had a bad lower back for a few years and it's getting worse. Not sure what I can try that may help.

I may even start doing plunge pool sessions after I have been in the gym (I lift weights but avoid exercises that put pressure on my lower back.)

I've had a weakness in my lower back since I worked in a stock room for a while in my teens and knackered it hoying crates and pallets around.  Around once or twice a year it plays up and becomes fairly incapacitating for days-weeks, other than that it mostly ticks over alright.  When it's bad, aside from good quality pain killers to allow the whole unit to stop tensing up and therefore repair itself, I go to see my Osteopath.  Worth their weight in gold in my experience, one of those would also provide best advice for how to maintain it as well as possible.  Can recommend a brilliant one, but not much use unless you live in Dorset!

Get it seen professionally. If Devon's no help I can recommend a fabulous physio in Edinburgh. In my experience its better to go to someone outwith the NHS, if you can afford it, they seem to have much greater ambition for the results of their treatment

Not yet. I think the NHS physios will just give me ineffective exercises.

Which is what happened when I was seeing one for the problem I have at both ends of the spine - neck and lower back.

But you don't know until you try and there is a good chance they'll treat you with acupuncture as well.

Which was frustrating when I had it because it did work but, only temporarily which sort of tormented me tbh.

But for plenty of other people it results in very good levels of pain relief.

Which is what happened when I was seeing one for the problem I have at both ends of the spine - neck and lower back.

But you don't know until you try and there is a good chance they'll treat you with acupuncture as well.

Which was frustrating when I had it because it did work but, only temporarily which sort of tormented me tbh.

But for plenty of other people it results in very good levels of pain relief.

It feels more spinal than muscle to be honest, but then again I wouldn't really know the difference.

It feels more spinal than muscle to be honest, but then again I wouldn't really know the difference.

It could be as simple as joints getting out of alignment that need manipulating back into place, horrifying but weirdly satisfying, and then strengthening through Pilates or running like the man said

It could be as simple as joints getting out of alignment that need manipulating back into place, horrifying but weirdly satisfying, and then strengthening through Pilates or running like the man said

Will have to see. They can manipulate my back as much as they want as long as it helps!

See a physio. I have a herniated disc in my lower back which bothers me every now and again. Basically its a tear in the disc which allows the middle part of it to bulge out and put pressure on the nerves around it.

The physio I saw put a TENS machine and heat treatment on it which cleared up the inflammation and got rid of the pain. The ongoing treatment is exercises which strengthen your bodies inner core of muscles from your abs round to your back which support the spine. I'm a bit slack with the exercises, so I still get pain now and again. Really must get onto it.

I'm another fan of Osteopathy, I fell out of a tree when I was 15 and my spine was out of alignment. Osteopathy not only put everything back in alignment but I now have excellent posture as a result and never have back issues. Granted I was lucky to get the treatment while I was so young, but nearly 20 years on the benefits are still there for me.

I know you said you can't afford it, but shop around and reassess your priorities because I doubt there is anything more important than your health to spend money on, even if it's one or 2 sessions in a blue moon. Groupon often have vouchers for this sort of thing.

I've had back problems since I was 17 yrs old.

I've controlled the pain and loss of movement with various exercises over the decades - including Yoga which I still do.

There is one technique which I would never be without, and it's called 'Alexander Technique' which some of you may have knowledge of.

It's incredibly simple.

You lie on the floor in such a way as to have your whole spine in a straight line.

This entails stacking enough books under your head to lift the top of the spine, and to raise your knees with legs together and soles of the feet flat on the floor, which brings the whole spine from the tailbone to the top vertebra completely into straight alignment. Lie in this position for 20 minutes every day of your life for total relaxation of the muscles of the back surrounding the spinal column. Arms can be laid at the sides, palms up or down, depending on personal choice.

The above exercise WONT help if you have uneven lower vertebra (thicker on one side than the other-a common problem)

I snapped my quadricep tendon (the one that goes behind your knee) about 4 years ago and was about 3 months in an ankle to hip pot. Not being the type to use crutches I walked around like John Wayne. This then affected my lower back.

I went to the doctors who eventually sent me for physio (waste of time), electric pulse treatment (waste of time) acupuncture (more waste of time) and eventually I had a scan (should have had in the first place).

I was diagnosed with Lumber Canal Spinosis which is treatable by an operation but deemed to be too risky and something I have to get on with. Its now not so bad and on a bad day I take 2 paracetamols and can still go to the gym and play sport.

I  guess what I am trying to say is, push for a scan, until you get one you could be wasting your time.