You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Books, films, songs etc that made you cry like a baby. *Amnesty*

Carvalho Diablo

I'll tell you something else which got me tearing up, seemingly from out of nowhere, was the Olympic opening ceremony.

I'd rolled in from the pub, and that was only because Danny Boyle (who I think is a great director) had taken ownership of the ceremony; I normally hate shit like that but I thought it was absolutely awesome. Completely loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4As0e4de-rI

Edit : Just started watching that again for the first time in years and when the bairns start to sing Jerusalem, Danny Boy, Flower Of Scotland and Bread Of Heaven, fuck me, I'm welling up again !

The death of Mickey in Rocky III. The loss of Wilson in Castaway. An episode of Deep Space Nine called 'The Visitor', where Sisko dies and his son grows up without him, but realises if he kills himself his father will not die in the past. There's a beautiful scene where Sisko is with his son who's now about sixty years older than him (time travel shit) and he realises he's poisoned himself, and he says 'I had to, that boy needs you more than you'll ever know'.

The bit in Schindler's list where he breaks down at the end, the baseball game at the end of Band of Brothers where it tells you what happens to them all.

The death of Mickey in Rocky III. The loss of Wilson in Castaway. An episode of Deep Space Nine called 'The Visitor', where Sisko dies and his son grows up without him, but realises if he kills himself his father will not die in the past. There's a beautiful scene where Sisko is with his son who's now about sixty years older than him (time travel shit) and he realises he's poisoned himself, and he says 'I had to, that boy needs you more than you'll ever know'.

The bit in Schindler's list where he breaks down at the end, the baseball game at the end of Band of Brothers where it tells you what happens to them all.

Great episode that. DS9 was great and easily my favourite Star Trek series. The longer story arcs really made the world more real. Sisko was superb.

The end of Toy Story 3 were the kid has grown out of the toys stage.

Quite poignant as when the first one came out my kids were all in Junior school and by the end of Toy Story 3 they were young adults and way too old to watch anything with their Dad!

This gets me, too. Guardians of the Galaxy scene where Drax strokes Rocket's head. The end of Life is Beautiful. Futurama: Jurassic Bark and Leela's Homeworld (Baby Love Child by Pizzicato 5 at the end). 

Someone recommended The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas for my daughter to read when she was about 10. Now, I'd heard that it was a bit 'tough' so when I saw it coming up on tv I suggested we watch it together to see if it was a suitable bedtime read. As it went on I could see exactly where it was heading and she was getting upset, I was getting upset for myself and her and there was no way my stock in trade, 'its ok, it'll all turn out in the end' was going to work this time. It was horrible. We both cried. And we never read the book

• Upvote 1

Someone recommended The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas for my daughter to read when she was about 10. Now, I'd heard that it was a bit 'tough' so when I saw it coming up on tv I suggested we watch it together to see if it was a suitable bedtime read. As it went on I could see exactly where it was heading and she was getting upset, I was getting upset for myself and her and there was no way my stock in trade, 'its ok, it'll all turn out in the end' was going to work this time. It was horrible. We both cried. And we never read the book

The film never worked for me on the basis of it being filmed in England,i think? and the English accents.

If it was done with the appropriate accents and subtitles it would have hit home a lot more. Just didnt seem anywhere near real enough.

I'm sure the book is a tear jerker though.

The end of Toy Story 3 were the kid has grown out of the toys stage.

Quite poignant as when the first one came out my kids were all in Junior school and by the end of Toy Story 3 they were young adults and way too old to watch anything with their Dad!

The scene were they are all holding hands and looking at the prospect of death is enough to take the hardest man down.

When blokes cry it always reminds of this song (in work so can't post the YuTube vid)

So you're leaving?

I can tell because I can see you're leaving

But if you're trying to break my heart

Your plan is flawed from the start

You can't break this heart, it's liquid

It melted when I met you

And as you leave, don't turn back to me

Don't turn around to see if I'm crying

I'm not crying, not crying, not crying

I'm not crying, it's just been raining on my face

And if you think you see some tear tracks down my cheeks

Please, please don't tell my mates

I'm not crying, no, I'm not crying

And if I am crying, it's not because of you

It's because I'm thinking about a friend of mine

You don't know who is dying, that's right, dying

These aren't tears of sadness because you're leaving me

I've just been cutting onions, I'm making a lasagna for one

Oh, I'm not crying, no

There's just a little bit of dust in my eye

That's from the path that you made when you said your goodbye

I'm not weeping 'cause you won't be here to hold my hand

For your information, there's an inflammation in my tear gland

I'm not upset because you left me this way

My eyes are just a little sweaty today

They've been looking around and are searching for you

They've been looking for you even though I told them not to

These aren't tears of sadness, they're tears of joy

I'm just laughing, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

I'm sitting at this table called love

Staring down at the irony of life

How come we've reached this fork in the road

And yet it cuts like a knife?

I'm not crying

I'm not crying

I'm not crying

• Upvote 2

The bit in The Invention of Lying where Ricky Gervais grandma is dying and he lies that he knows for a fact she's going somewhere better after she dies.

"When you die you’re going to go to your favorite place in the whole world. And you’re going to be with all of the people you’ve ever loved and who have ever loved you. And you’re going to be young again, and you’ll be able to run through the fields and dance and jump, and there will be no sadness, no pain, just love and laughing and happiness. There will be ponies made of gold, and everyone will live in giant mansions, and everything will smell like cookies. And it will last for an eternity, Grandma. An eternity."

• Upvote 3