You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Books, films, songs etc that made you cry like a baby. *Amnesty*

Carvalho Diablo

This long lost family programme breaks me every time I see it.

I remember my Ma once asking me what I'd like for Christmas. I told her what I'd really like would be a knock on the door, I'd answer it to an unknown, strange woman, I'd ask her, "Can I help you ?", to which she'd reply, "Son, after all these years, I've found you !"

Don't think my Ma was too happy...

• Upvote 1

I cry at the end of High Noon, when all the rats come out in the street and Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly ride away in disgusted silence.

Also, the ending of The Third Man, when Alida Valli just walks past James Cotton.

Wild Bunch when Robert Ryan just sits there knowing that all the men worth knowing in his life are now dead.

And the final scene of Hair, because it's so well put together.

I almost cried when Bobby Simone died in S5 of NYPD Blue, almost like a sense of personal loss, I didn't see it coming.

Books: last couple hundred pages of Dreiser's American Tragedy, the ending of Flannery O'Connor's story Revelation which has a final passage I think was written by someone who already began transcending human existence. Over every tortured animal in Dostoevsky when I was young.

Hmm, I seem to cry a lot. Better leave listing music alone for now.

• Upvote 1

When Thorin died in the Hobbit (the book, not that monstrosity of a film) really got to me as a 10 year old.

When Magwitch dies in Great Expectations is another choker for me.

Brooks' suicide in Shawshank Redemption.  Have to skip it every time I watch it.

This welled me up a bit the other day:

The birdy song

This almost makes me cry as well, as my flatmate showed me a video a number of years ago, that had a particularly large woman with enormous bingo wings that were flapping up and down during coitus. So now every time I hear that song I think about that now.

The ending of the film, Cemetery Junction where Freddie Taylor gets his girl and they elope together. Although I've been married for more than a decade and I love my wife loads, I never did get my dream girl, as she was already taken.

On the Gervais theme; the bit in Invention of lying where his mum is dying so he invents heaven to make her feel better.

About 12 years ago my son had an abscess behind his eye, he was nearly 3, he fitted and was rushed to hospital where he had many tests and was in for a week, they thought it was a tumour until they actually found out what it was, after being at the hospital for several days with him, my then wife stayed with him whilst I went home to change clothes, shave etc, I put the multi CD player on remote and Elvis came on singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and I broke down, as stupid as it may sound it was like it was a message saying everything was going to be ok, and it was.

Last month my brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, we are close and I'm devastated, I had to make an appearance at my girlfriend's Dad's birthday party last week, going out was the last thing I wanted to do, I made an appearance then dropped in at a pub where my mate, who is in a band was playing, he dedicated "Slide Away" to me, but played it like Noel's acoustic version, I had to go to toilet and lock myself in a cubicle so no one would see me cry.

• Upvote 8

About 12 years ago my son had an abscess behind his eye, he was nearly 3, he fitted and was rushed to hospital where he had many tests and was in for a week, they thought it was a tumour until they actually found out what it was, after being at the hospital for several days with him, my then wife stayed with him whilst I went home to change clothes, shave etc, I put the multi CD player on remote and Elvis came on singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and I broke down, as stupid as it may sound it was like it was a message saying everything was going to be ok, and it was.

Last month my brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, we are close and I'm devastated, I had to make an appearance at my girlfriend's Dad's birthday party last week, going out was the last thing I wanted to do, I made an appearance then dropped in at a pub where my mate, who is in a band was playing, he dedicated "Slide Away" to me, but played it like Noel's acoustic version, I had to go to toilet and lock myself in a cubicle so no one would see me cry.

Oh, mate, I'm so sorry. I can just about get my head round my folks' eventual death but the thought of my brother or sister dying is almost beyond thinking about. I dont know you but your post caught me out. Look after yourself and tell him all the things you never have

• Upvote 1

Oh, mate, I'm so sorry. I can just about get my head round my folks' eventual death but the thought of my brother or sister dying is almost beyond thinking about. I dont know you but your post caught me out. Look after yourself and tell him all the things you never have

Thank you, means a lot, it's awful, I go and see him, he's at home, palliative care they call it, he doesn't want people weeping and wailing, we just talk football (He's a massive Man City fan) and chat shit, it breaks my heart but I don't let him see it.

• Upvote 4

• 1 year later...