You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

• 2 weeks later...

Saw The Last Jedi (4/10) recently, was shocked at how bad it was. I'd given up on Star Wars being good again after the shit prequels, then got sucked back in by Rogue One (8/10) which was boss, then this film comes out and its back to square one. Who is suppposed to be the main 'baddie'? The Darth Vader equivalent? Its truly awful. In both the force awakens and The last jedi, every single new character is terrible. Its not that they're acted badly, far from it, they just have nothing. No gravitas, no personality, nothing.

Also, this new Solo film. They're making a film about a 'young' han solo, but they don't seem to realise that we've already had 3 films with a young Solo in, and he was played by harrison ford. How is this new fella supposed to live up to that?

I'm sure when the film makes about half a billion dollars in profit the fact that Solo has been young more than once will become a far smaller factor in their decision.

Also, this new Solo film. They're making a film about a 'young' han solo, but they don't seem to realise that we've already had 3 films with a young Solo in, and he was played by harrison ford. How is this new fella supposed to live up to that?

The start of the film is set 10 years before a New Hope apparently when he’s in his 20’s.

Not that keen on it myself but it’s Disney. Sure it won’t be completely awful.

My main issue with the current state of affairs is that the main protagonist and antagonist are fucking amateurs.

In the original trilogy you had darth vader being a big badass dark Lord who's obviously a master of his craft.

Luke starts off knowing fuck all but after a fuckload of training from the jedi master yoda he becomes a jedi himself and then we get the big payoff that we've been building up to for 3 full films where vader finally fights a fully trained Luke.

Right now we have Ben who's a half trained petulant child, and he killed the only person with the skills to train him to be a full on sith Lord. So he's shit and not intimidating at all.

And Mary sue who for some reason can use the force without any training, gets a small boot camp with Luke for a few weeks, but now Luke is dead, so we're left with a half trained bird who is also shit, and not heroic at all.

So why exactly should I be excited for when they eventually fight each other in the third film? Neither are masters of whatever side they're on, and they never will be because the would be potential teachers are dead.

Am I supposed to believe that Rey will become a self trained jedi just by reading the books she stole? Further pushing the strong independent woman who doesn't need no man to train her propaganda.

It's shit, all of it.

Rogue one was good though, we need more like that.

• Downvote 1

My main issue with the current state of affairs is that the main protagonist and antagonist are fucking amateurs.

In the original trilogy you had darth vader being a big badass dark Lord who's obviously a master of his craft.

Luke starts off knowing fuck all but after a fuckload of training from the jedi master yoda he becomes a jedi himself and then we get the big payoff that we've been building up to for 3 full films where vader finally fights a fully trained Luke.

Right now we have Ben who's a half trained petulant child, and he killed the only person with the skills to train him to be a full on sith Lord. So he's shit and not intimidating at all.

And Mary sue who for some reason can use the force without any training, gets a small boot camp with Luke for a few weeks, but now Luke is dead, so we're left with a half trained bird who is also shit, and not heroic at all.

So why exactly should I be excited for when they eventually fight each other in the third film? Neither are masters of whatever side they're on, and they never will be because the would be potential teachers are dead.

Am I supposed to believe that Rey will become a self trained jedi just by reading the books she stole? Further pushing the strong independent woman who doesn't need no man to train her propaganda.

It's shit, all of it.

Rogue one was good though, we need more like that.

I don't think the fact that rey is a woman has any relevance whatsoever, the main protagonist in rogue one was a woman and she was a really good character i thought. The problem with the last jedi is that the writing is terrible. Everything else you say is spot on, however.

I don't think the fact that rey is a woman has any relevance whatsoever, the main protagonist in rogue one was a woman and she was a really good character i thought. The problem with the last jedi is that the writing is terrible. Everything else you say is spot on, however.

I agree the fact she's a woman shouldn't matter.

I'd be happy if she just got on with it though.

Instead I feel like they are constantly pushing it in my face, it's really forced and unnatural, like you said down to bad writing.

• 3 weeks later...