You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rickie Lambert

bouncebrigade

Shame I like him but evolution moves quicker. If he raced a chimp it would be human by the time Ricky gets the the finishing line.

Got absolutely nothing against the lad, same with Borini, honest players who try their best, unlike Balotelli, you can't knock that. They shouldn't have been bought but that's not their fault.

I laugh at loads of stuff, but don't dont find the sinking of a passenger ship and the death of innocent men, women and children, remotely funny.

I agree, it shouldn't have happened - should have stayed at Southampton.

Just like Lambert.

It is more sad than funny.

• 2 years later...

Retired.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41471481

Rickie Lambert: Ex-England, Southampton, Liverpool & West Brom striker retires

Former England striker Rickie Lambert has announced his retirement from football.

The 35-year-old ex-Southampton, Liverpool and West Brom forward has been without a club since leaving Cardiff City by mutual consent in July.

He scored 218 goals in 607 league games in a career that spanned 19 years and took in nine clubs.

"I feel lucky to have been involved in this sport for as long as I have," said the Liverpool-born forward.

Lambert scored three goals in 11 appearances for England and came on as a substitute at the 2014 World Cup.

"I have had some ups and downs in my career, but to have represented clubs like Southampton and Liverpool and playing for my country in a World Cup were beyond my wildest dreams," he said.

"Playing and scoring for England is probably my proudest professional moment and I will look back at every aspect of how I got there with fond memories."

His club career started at Blackpool and included spells at Macclesfield Town, Stockport County, Rochdale and Bristol Rovers.

Having spent his early career in in the lower leagues, Lambert realised his ambition of playing in the Premier League, at the age of 30 for Southampton.

Lambert's form for the Saints earned a call-up to the England squad and he scored the winner on his international debut in a 3-2 win over Scotland in 2013.

Some of the players we've signed in the last 10 years must be up there with the worst ever in the premiership, Lambert, Koncheski, Adam, Carroll, and we wonder why we're always also rans. Nobody signs shite quite like us. Other clubs sign players who may turn out to be shite, we sign players who we all KNOW are shite and do in fact turn out to be shite.

• Upvote 2

Some of the players we've signed in the last 10 years must be up there with the worst ever in the premiership, Lambert, Koncheski, Adam, Carroll, and we wonder why we're always also rans. Nobody signs shite quite like us. Other clubs sign players who may turn out to be shite, we sign players who we all KNOW are shite and do in fact turn out to be shite.

It's like seeing a motorway pile up but still driving headlong into it despite seeing all the warning signs.

Always felt a bit sorry for him that his spell here didn't go better.

He was ill advised to move here,  Past his best , which was never good enough anyway, slow and trying to slot into system that he was totally unsuited to play,  There was never a hope in hell he would make a telling contribution, Bought as a squad filler and made a weak bench even weaker. A very good player in the Championship in his prime. 

I don't think he was rubbish, far from it. But never really fit in with the team we had. He was a useful backup option, but nothing more. And it was nice to have a boyhood red return home to the club years after he was let go. Who doesn't like a heartwarming tale like that?

• Upvote 1

He was ill advised to move here,  Past his best , which was never good enough anyway, slow and trying to slot into system that he was totally unsuited to play,  There was never a hope in hell he would make a telling contribution, Bought as a squad filler and made a weak bench even weaker. A very good player in the Championship in his prime. 

He was good enough for Southampton in the Premier League - obviously not proper Liverpool first XI quality, but as a signing, I don't think it was that stupid and from his point of view, he was never going to say no. The team became a total mess that season and I just find it a bit unfortunate for him on a personal level that it went that way given how clearly happy he was when he signed. I don't recall many people saying it was an awful signing at the time either but I might be wrong about that.

He was good enough for Southampton in the Premier League - obviously not proper Liverpool first XI quality, but as a signing, I don't think it was that stupid and from his point of view, he was never going to say no. The team became a total mess that season and I just find it a bit unfortunate for him on a personal level that it went that way given how clearly happy he was when he signed. I don't recall many people saying it was an awful signing at the time either but I might be wrong about that.

Had he not been a red returning to his boyhood club the move would have been derided by many, He was also cheap by today's standards which kept the moneyball obsessives happy.

His goals got Southampton promoted which was no mean achievement when you see the club now ; a well financed and solid premiership outfit , He wasn't good enough for them and the emotional move home suited their purposes