You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Advice for a friend.

Ezekiel 25:17

I'll try and keep it short, my mates bird went in three store looking at ipad contracts, next thing she's walked out with one, now she's home realised they can't nearly afford and desperately wants to cancel it but three are having none of it. They're tefysing saying she's signed the contract and thats that, this was two days ago, is there anything at all she can do ?? Any ideas how to get them to cancel it ?? cheers dudes.

As far as I'm aware there is a cooling off period of at least 7 days for all new contracts. She may have to pay for any data she has used in the mean time. 3 are known for completely disregarding these and distance selling regulations though. Or at least, fighting them all the way.

EDIT: just doing a bit of reading on the subject and mixed reports about whether there is a cooling off period when bought instore. I though all contracts had them!

• Upvote 1

I thought any financially binding agreement had the 7 to 14 day cooling off period, irrespective of whether the item was purchased online or not, so quite surprised to read that it may not be applicable.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-credit-act

This, she needs to look through the small print of the contract she signed, highlight It, go back into the shop and not take no for an answer. 3 are absolute cunts on cancellations. I had a mobile with them for a year and found a better deal, actually had a fella shouting down the phone at me when giving them their months notice.

• Upvote 1

My mums just gone through similar today. Had her handbag stolen in town with her phone, keys, money etc on Sunday and went into orange today to pick a new phone to do the job until her current contract ran out. The twats knew exactly what they were doing and before she knew it was walking out with a £300 iPhone 5c which they set up for her on PAYG. I swear the very second she walked out of the shop she had a call on another phone she'd been using in the meantime saying her bag had been handed in (think the thief shit themselves when I tracked the phone down and text them the address I'd be knocking on if it didn't come back). So within two minutes of walking out she went back and orange told her she hasn't a leg to stand on and because the phone had been activated she's fucked.

I'll be taking a look on there Numero and hopefully get her money back.

Edit - They may get away with it as its not a credit agreement as they sold it as PAYG. They knew what they were doing, my ma's always done contract so selling her the phone for cash may have been the plan.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah she's buggered mate. Only way is if they misrepresented the item or its faulty. That said, try to track down their returns policy. If they have ibe they'll need to stick to it.

Guest Super Sub

With electronic goods such as iPads computers and computer equipment such as memory you aren't protected as the goods can't be resold afterwards. This is because once it has been used it the user leaves a digital history on the device. The only way you are entitled to a refund or to cancel is if the goods are faulty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk