You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ludogorets v Liverpool UEFA CL Wed 26 Nov

Guest davelfc

Based on last night I think we can discount Kolo Toure replacing Lovren having much of a positive impact on our defense . All down to Sakho now and I am not holding my breath .

I always thought with Kolo it was a case of his enthusiasm overwhelming his judgment.

As for Sakho, there's no point putting it all on his shoulders, he'll be as crap as everyone else because clearly the problems are not all down to players being crap.

The fullbacks need to dialed back, the CHs stop splitting, the midfield needs to relearn how to press as a unit, not runaround randomly closing down as individuals creating gaps all over the place, etc, etc, etc.

• Upvote 2

I always thought with Kolo it was a case of his enthusiasm overwhelming his judgment.

As for Sakho, there's no point putting it all on his shoulders, he'll be as crap as everyone else because clearly the problems are not all down to players being crap.

The fullbacks need to dialed back, the CHs stop splitting, the midfield needs to relearn how to press as a unit, not runaround randomly closing down as individuals creating gaps all over the place, etc, etc, etc.

I have to agree that Kolo, even being Kolo, showed just how bad the Lovren-Skrtel partnership is. Kolo should get a run, and Lovren make his way back on merit the old fashioned way. Same for Balotelli.

Theres definitely a whole lot of truth to the defence just being really poor regardless of individual mistakes. 

But as dodgy as Kolo can be Lovren has been a nightmare thus far, Kolo just about gets all the basics right without excelling as hes at that point of his career anyway. 

Lovren can't even do the basics. Every part of his game has been really poor since hes come in. I think keeping him in the team will do us no favours at all and he'd be better off being gradually reintroduced to a team in better form.

Which hopefully we'll be at some point! 

I have to agree that Kolo, even being Kolo, showed just how bad the Lovren-Skrtel partnership is. Kolo should get a run, and Lovren make his way back on merit the old fashioned way. Same for Balotelli.

Isn't the bottom line though that none of the CHs are being put in a position from which they can succeed?  I need to see Brendan doing the Rafa squeeze hand signal before I believe anyone has a shot as deserving anything on merit.

You seem to be advocating scrapping "the system".  We've played quite a while with CHs splitting, DM collecting the ball, and trying to start something.  Gerrard or Lucas, it was like that last season and up until now this season.

Changing that would require change in personnel.  We do not have FBs who can defend like e.g. Arbeloa was.  Ours like going forward.  And we do not have CHs who can pass well, like Agger  or Hyypia was, also Carragher was never given enough credit there.   Then the keeper would have to be mobile, so that we could squeeze the area where the match is played which would enable the midfield to play more as a unit.

Not going to happen with the present personnel.  

You seem to be advocating scrapping "the system".  We've played quite a while with CHs splitting, DM collecting the ball, and trying to start something.  Gerrard or Lucas, it was like that last season and up until now this season.

Changing that would require change in personnel.  We do not have FBs who can defend like e.g. Arbeloa was.  Ours like going forward.  And we do not have CHs who can pass well, like Agger  or Hyypia was, also Carragher was never given enough credit there.   Then the keeper would have to be mobile, so that we could squeeze the area where the match is played which would enable the midfield to play more as a unit.

Not going to happen with the present personnel.  

Very true, but this is not about perfection or being as good as some past team, it's about getting to a baseline from which we can build, about taking a step forward to get out of a downward spiral.  Far worse players than ours have managed what I'm suggesting.

A prerequisite for progress is to stop shooting yourself in the foot.

Doesn't matter what defenders we have. The team has zero structure, half the time I didn't know who the fuck was playing where it was like swapsy's except for the centrebacks who were just centrebacks and fullbacks. I think rodgers took some ayahuasca when his philosophy took hold because it's pure bedlam and not the entertaining kind it's then kind when you find out Santa has cancer.

Very true, but this is not about perfection or being as good as some past team, it's about getting to a baseline from which we can build, about taking a step forward to get out of a downward spiral.  Far worse players than ours have managed what I'm suggesting.

A prerequisite for progress is to stop shooting yourself in the foot.

Yeah we have to find something to build from. What we've been doing up to this point hasn't been working this season so it has to change. 

I think Rodger's found something that worked(to some degree) last night. So to abandon it would be madness. If that means the centre halfs have to stay a bit narrower and the full backs don't bomb on with such abandon then so be it. 

• Upvote 1

Doesn't matter what defenders we have. The team has zero structure, half the time I didn't know who the fuck was playing where it was like swapsy's except for the centrebacks who were just centrebacks and fullbacks. I think rodgers took some ayahuasca when his philosophy took hold because it's pure bedlam and not the entertaining kind it's then kind when you find out Santa has cancer.

mignolet

manquillo skrtel toure johnson

lucas allen

hendo gerrard sterling

lambert

that was how we lined up last night and it was pretty rigid.

Tonight has to be the proof that we need one in there. Lucas isn't a world class player, we all know that. But he cut out a decent number of opposition moves tonight. The type of moves that have been cutting us to pieces all season long thus far.

Our only world class player is injured?? And hes only potential. Luxas is a brazil regular up against hendo or marko or wales 5th best player. Lets be real dikhed.