You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ludogorets v Liverpool UEFA CL Wed 26 Nov

Guest davelfc

All ill say is we can take some positives away from that game and we havnt been able to say that much over the past 2 months. We need to try that same setup at the weekend though. Reverting back to the previous stuff would be fucking ridiculous.

The problem with this is, and its the reason i started the "other  season" thread last year, is that Rodgers never really builds on what the previous game has shown him.

Tonight he mentioned how outstanding Lucas was in Madrid, anyone seen him start in the Premier League since?

He's chased Lallana up hill and down all summer, then won't play him despite him looking like the only glimmer of hope from all the summer signings.

So many mixed messages, i think hes out Brendaned himself somewhere.

I genuinely don't think he has the first idea of what his best side is.

Probably a good time to pick a defence and stick to it. Though i wish hm the best of luck with that.

Has he played the same line up in 2 games on the bounce?

All over the pitch, he needs to very quickly work out a baseline and go from there.

That's the thing, thompsonsnose, I don't think some of the problems are beyond him, they're easily rectifiable in fact. He quite clearly doesn't know his best team and our defending on set pieces is a joke. Those two glaring issues as a first step can be easily sussed on the training ground. Identify a suitable way to play, select them and then drill them hard so they don't concede soft goals on corners. It's as fucking simple as it is obvious.

I know that point sounds pure Allardyce, but let's get the simple shit nailed and then go from there.

• Upvote 1

No real surprise with the result. They scored 2 at Anfield and we only just scraped home, so they were always going to be tougher at home. They deserved their point. We didn't deserve 3.

Bit harsh. That would have been a result ground out as they say if (yes, I know) we'd have held on.

In terms of a controlling sense, it's the best we've played in a while. We didn't threaten to a ridiculous degree up front but we had a balance about us which I don't think has been there for a while. 

Yeah we conceded two soft enough goals, but we looked slightly better at the back which at least is an improvement. And we actually protected the back 4 with Lucas and Allen playing the roles they did. 

If we can take that blueprint into the next game I reckon we'll at least see an improvement from the Palace game. 

Keep Lovren and Balotelli out of the team, play Lucas as the anchor with Allen and Henderson either side of him.

We'll at least put up a fight I reckon.   

• Upvote 2

He played well tonight but essentially what we're saying is that our best team includes Lucas. Crazy

To be fair, at least he isnt calling it a great performance like the manager

Lucas Leiva @LucasLeiva87 10m10 minutes ago

Not the best performance but fighting and commitment will help the team to get back on the winning ways. Thanks for your messages. YNWA

• Upvote 1

He played well tonight but essentially what we're saying is that our best team includes Lucas. Crazy

How could our best team not include Lucas? Hes the only defensive midfielder in the squad. The problem is that Rodgers seems to think of last season as proof that you don't have to play with one despite us conceding ridiculous amounts of goals.

• Upvote 1

How could our best team not include Lucas? Hes the only defensive midfielder in the squad. The problem is that Rodgers seems to think of last season as proof that you don't have to play with one despite us conceding ridiculous amounts of goals.

Tonight has to be the proof that we need one in there. Lucas isn't a world class player, we all know that. But he cut out a decent number of opposition moves tonight. The type of moves that have been cutting us to pieces all season long thus far.

• Upvote 1

Brigant, I've never known anyone who buzzes off Liverpool being shite as much as you, lad.

have to say I sometimes love the mood here when we're shite, I can unleash the Legion and swim in my "Told ye so" hot tub hah. And I really think being mad/upset/depressed is pointless, finding reason to smile a little bit in 7th circle of hell is much more healthy.

Ancelotti thinks we're going out.

But Real boss Ancelotti does not believe Brendan Rodgers' side are fit enough to beat the Swiss champions and expects to see Basle in the last-16 draw.

Speaking after the win, he said: 'They're (Basle are) in better shape than Liverpool at the moment, they are in very good physical condition.

'At this moment Basle have a slight advantage.'

'They caused us some problems in the second part. We fought hard and that's why we won.'

At 70 mins you take off Lambert and Gerrard and bring on Borini and Lallana.  Leave Sterling on and do nothing else and the game was won. We could even have got a 3rd with the holes that were appearing in Ludo's defence. They were pushing up so much we could have picked them off with a bit of patience and nous. Instead we shrank into our chocolate egg strength shell and melted.  

The key to a man like Ancelotti is in the last part of his statement. The bit that says "We fought hard and that's why we won." That's in his mentality and he transmits that to the players. On the other hand, we pussied it, so that's why we got fucked. Simple. 

We have no leaders on the pitch. Good teams have an overall leader but then they also have leaders in the different zones. Our keeper doesn't boss it. The central defender boss - who is he? Midfield don? Striker who says give me the ball we need a goal now!! No one. It's dead out there. 

The team needs an injection of life somehow. Something has to happen to turn this shithouse of a season around. Where was Turkish Charles tonight? Is he injured? 

It was a very poor performance that seemed a little better because we've been even shitter previously. Clutch at straws that we were better defensively even though we conceded two goals but we have to kid ourselves it was better because there were some changes in personnel. Watching that just looked like two very poor teams. Positives are we actually managed to score two goals and that's about it. So far this season this is the worst liverpool side I can remember.

He needs to stick with lucas even though I don't rate him that highly he needs to drop gerrard as much as it pains me but he's a passenger. He needs to pick his first 11 and stick with it for a while because the more hes fucking around the less time he has to turn it around. I want him to turn it around there is no pleasure going from last season to this.