You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Soup Tribute Thread - nectar of the gods

PestiRed

Guest Pistonbroke

Uk Amazon was showing £0.01 for the paperback version. Paperback cookbooks are generally rubbish, though, because they dont stay open at the page without been clamped down

Totally agree, only buy hardback when it comes to cook books. my dear mother bought me this one years ago, a very good cook book which gives the various timings for different kinds of roasts with variable taste...like medium well done etc. Packed with simple meals, soups, main meals, pastries, etc etc etc. You can also get it for 1p.....  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dairy-Book-Home-Cookery-Nineties/dp/1860194850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416838078&sr=8-1&keywords=The+dairy+cookbook

The cabbage, bacon and lentil soup turned out to be great. Will last a few days. First time I've used goose fat in a soup rather than my usual mangalica - adds a very comforting taste to the lentils.

Also knocked together a mushroom soup with leek and thyme to keep the veggie missus happy.

I made a fine Cullen Skink last week with cheese scones. Fuck me, smoked haddock is expensive though

I had an amazing mulligatawny soup with prawns once but have never been able to make a really good home-made version. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but the coconut/fish balance is never right

Anybody else like a fishy soup? I love a cullen Skink & I used to go into a tapas place that made a seafood soup which if they'd charged £20 a bowl I would've happily paid it. 

Quality fish soup is fantastic. With a bouillabaisse, or Thai/Vietnamese style with chillis, lemongrass etc for example.

I made a fine Cullen Skink last week with cheese scones. Fuck me, smoked haddock is expensive though

I had Cullen Skink once having seen it on a Rick Stein show, and I thought it was far too fishy. Perhaps the quality of the smoked haddock wasn't that great (it looked dyed too). I'm not keen on chowder-type soups though.

I had an amazing mulligatawny soup with prawns once but have never been able to make a really good home-made version. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but the coconut/fish balance is never right

Is it too coconutty? The flavour of coconut milk can dominate so you need to start with a base spicier than you'd think is right, and then calm it down with the coconut milk. That is basically how they balance it out in the Far East.

Is it too coconutty? The flavour of coconut milk can dominate so you need to start with a base spicier than you'd think is right, and then calm it down with the coconut milk. That is basically how they balance it out in the Far East.

Tends to be too fishy when I make it. I sometimes have that problem with other fish soups as well. There's a local paprika-based pike-perch soup that is delicious in every restaurant in Hungary but completely shit in my house - even when I get the recipe straight from one of the local chefs.

For some reason I can make a decent bouillabaisse but struggle with anything that has a more delicate fish taste

Kumera and Celery Soup.

It's dead easy. Saute the chopped celery including leaves in BUTTER. While they are busy on heat, add chopped Kumera, for a wee while more.

Add your favourite vege stock - dissolved in 2 cups of water - add black pepper and a small amount of Tamari Sauce...about a tablespoon.

When soft and whizzable, do just that - with one of those mignolets.

Return to minor heat, adding FRESH CREAM to taste, for roughly 5-10 minutes.

Yum.

• Upvote 1

Kumera and Celery Soup. It's dead easy. Saute the chopped celery including leaves in BUTTER. While they are busy on heat, add chopped Kumera, for a wee while more.Add your favourite vege stock - dissolved in 2 cups of water - add black pepper and a small amount of Tamari Sauce...about a tablespoon.When soft and whizzable, do just that - with one of those mignolets.Return to minor heat, adding FRESH CREAM to taste, for roughly 5-10 minutes.Yum.

Not sure if kumara is widely available in the northern hemisphere, so you might be falling on deaf ears here mate. I might give it a go though.

Not sure if kumara is widely available in the northern hemisphere, so you might be falling on deaf ears here mate. I might give it a go though.

So the least you could have done would have been to describe it to us heathens, no?

If you can't get it, what's the point.

Its a root veg bit like potato, but more starchy. Have you still not learnt how to Google things?

Edit : apparently its sweet potato. You live and learn, I thought it was something different. As you were.

Of course I can google but that doesn't give the all important personal response.