You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Soup Tribute Thread - nectar of the gods

PestiRed

Soup. Possibly one of the greatest inventions ever. Filling without the calories of a full meal (mostly). Available to make in almost any flavour ever. Easily digestable by anyone, even if you've had your teeth kicked out or your intestines removed. You can have it as a starter that doesn't stop you eating a full main course, or you can have it as a full meal. It warms you in the winter and refreshes you in the summer. It comes as hot or cold. Let's face it, it's amazing and deserves a tribute thread.

I make at least three soups a week and today I will be making this soup.

http://www.knorr.co.uk/recipes/detail/8423/1/bacon-lentil-and-cabbage-soup

Btw, anything canned or that comes in a sachet can fuck right off.

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke

What we call Hochzeitssuppe - "Wedding Soup" - is one of my all time favorite dishes.

Bramstedt_Hochzeitssuppe_01_(RaBoe).jpg

A very popular soup over here in Germany. Not my cuppa tea though, the egg squares  in it are a bit off putting, i like my eggs runny and on a slice of toast. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Covent Garden do a great book which is a soup for every day of the year, featuring what's seasonal.

Made their butternut squash, onion, garlic, ginger, chili and creamed coconut (I used coconut milk) the other day and it's a reet bobby dazzler.

Sounds very nice. I put a bit of curry powder in the one I made above, made two fuck off pans, one with and one without the curry powder. I also roast off all the veg in the oven with red onions in large wedges and the spices before blending it. 

Cumin and squash

Pea and spring onion

Beetroot and goats cheese

All are made very regularly.

If you're cooking on a budget the supermarkets do a stew pack for a couple of quid this time of year, add garlic and a bit of stock and blend.

It'll give you lunch every day for a week for about 20p a portion.

• Upvote 2

Just ordered it in hardback for 79 cent..hahaha. better be good or i'll neg you...Seriously, the postage was 4 times the cost of the book.

I couldn't believe it was so cheap.

Just one word of warning. I recently made the pea soup for the first time. The recipe said 50g of split peas. It seemed a bit odd but I wasnt going to argue. It turned out like grey dish water. I then added another 450g of peas to make it 500g to make another excellent soup.

Guest Pistonbroke

I couldn't believe it was so cheap.

Just one word of warning. I recently made the pea soup for the first time. The recipe said 50g of split peas. It seemed a bit odd but I wasnt going to argue. It turned out like grey dish water. I then added another 450g of peas to make it 500g to make another excellent soup.

I ordered it over German Amazon, it is a used book in very good condition. To buy it new would have cost 114€!!!! That is a huge difference between 79 cent and 114€, crazy World we live in. 

I ordered it over German Amazon, it is a used book in very good condition. To buy it new would have cost 114€!!!! That is a huge difference between 79 cent and 114€, crazy World we live in.

Uk Amazon was showing £0.01 for the paperback version. Paperback cookbooks are generally rubbish, though, because they dont stay open at the page without been clamped down

Anybody else like a fishy soup? I love a cullen Skink & I used to go into a tapas place that made a seafood soup which if they'd charged £20 a bowl I would've happily paid it. Looked a bit like this...

186286416.jpg

I made a fine Cullen Skink last week with cheese scones. Fuck me, smoked haddock is expensive though

• Upvote 1