You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Little Things That Brighten Your Day

AngryOfTuebrook

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2019 at 21:36, paddyberger said:

I had a similar experience few weeks back. Old girl up the road from me was looking a bit confused and lost. She‘d missed her neighbour who she wanted to bring some bread in for her.

No problem, give me 20 mins and I’ll be back. I spent about an hour with her, just chatting with her about her family and her husband who’d passed. 89 years old, lovely old girl called Gloria Did exactly the same thing, broke down and said it just makes me cry when somebody does something nice for me. 

On the way out, she grabbed my hand and kissed it. Broke my heart I can tell you.

I pop in every now and then just to check in, she’s 90 on Monday so I’m going go up there with the kids and make a fuss of her.

Gloria passed away yesterday. She’d been struggling and had lived with her son most of this year, she told me she was ready to go and had had enough.

Absolutely gutted.

• Upvote 14

15 hours ago, paddyberger said:

Gloria passed away yesterday. She’d been struggling and had lived with her son most of this year, she told me she was ready to go and had had enough.

Absolutely gutted.

Good on you for being kind enough to give an old lady some of your time, something which made a difference and she obviously appreciated.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, paddyberger said:

Absolutely gutted.

Its quite weird when older people pass away. I remember when Nan passed away in hospital in 2002 after a long stay there. She passed away around 6 or 7 am and asked for her Rosary Beads shortly before actually dying. It seems people often just know their body is shutting down for good.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its quite weird when older people pass away. I remember when Nan passed away in hospital in 2002 after a long stay there. She passed away around 6 or 7 am and asked for her Rosary Beads shortly before actually dying. It seems people often just know their body is shutting down for good.

Yeah, i see that.

My grandmother, raised me as her own, walked off a fucking heart attack!

She eventually has to be convinced to go to hospital as she's quite clearly fucked.

Spends a day in bed entertaining us all.

I go in to say goodnight at seven pm and she say's something along the lines of 'That's it I'm done, I'm dying aren't I'?

'Yes' i reply.

She sits up in bed and says 'Alright, send them in'

She said nothing about death, or dying or anything or the sort, or even let on she knew what was happening.

She told them all nice things she loved in them and joked.

She was dead within the hour of the last one leaving.

• Upvote 7

Starting a new job next month, so this month I keep phoning in sick at least once a week because they can't be arsed to sack me and even if they did it wouldn't matter now anyway 

That Beatles documentary on Disney + is fantastic 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to watch Harrogate Town yesterday with the lads I play 5-a-side with as a Christmas social and about halfway into the first half one of the Northampton defenders hit a long clearance up there like which drifted out of play and headed in the direction of two stewards stood at the front of the stand we were in, and it hit one of them clean on the top of his head. Absolutely perfect placement. Doink.

Working with people who genuinely want to help when they realise you're new in that area.

Friday was a "different" day at work as we had to cover the packing side. When the aircraft section is finished, it's packed ready for export to America. We have to use a SAP system and being new to it wasn't ideal. The lads on the shop floor, inspectors and QCs were brilliant; all came in to help and explain the processes.

• Upvote 1

On 24/11/2021 at 19:48, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, i see that.

My grandmother, raised me as her own, walked off a fucking heart attack!

She eventually has to be convinced to go to hospital as she's quite clearly fucked.

Spends a day in bed entertaining us all.

I go in to say goodnight at seven pm and she say's something along the lines of 'That's it I'm done, I'm dying aren't I'?

'Yes' i reply.

She sits up in bed and says 'Alright, send them in'

She said nothing about death, or dying or anything or the sort, or even let on she knew what was happening.

She told them all nice things she loved in them and joked.

She was dead within the hour of the last one leaving.

Beautiful story mate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 09:12, Preston Red said:

Working with people who genuinely want to help when they realise you're new in that area.

Friday was a "different" day at work as we had to cover the packing side. When the aircraft section is finished, it's packed ready for export to America. We have to use a SAP system and being new to it wasn't ideal. The lads on the shop floor, inspectors and QCs were brilliant; all came in to help and explain the processes.

SAP is a cunt

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

Watching one of the cats drinking from their bowl of water.

I'm not sure why but it fills me with joy, the ridiculous way they poke their tongue in and out of the water.

I remember the first time our cat licked my hand, I nearly shit myself, I wasn’t expecting it to feel like sandpaper.

• Upvote 2