You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Lurtz

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Fans throwing beer.

Fucks all that about?

Cunt behaviour and likely to get beer stopped in the stadiums at other games where some countries fans actually behave.

I will also add that earlier on in the tournament when Germany scored at a fan park I saw none of the fucking idiot behaviour of throwing drinks in the air that you see with English retards in parks & pubs.  Fake over celebration ooh i spilled my pint how great am I. No your just a cunt.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2024 at 23:28, George Costanza said:

Cunt behaviour and likely to get beer stopped in the stadiums at other games where some countries fans actually behave.

I will also add that earlier on in the tournament when Germany scored at a fan park I saw none of the fucking idiot behaviour of throwing drinks in the air that you see with English retards in parks & pubs.  Fake over celebration ooh i spilled my pint how great am I. No your just a cunt.

Given how much it costs for a pint of warm Carling/Carlsberg at these places I'm surprised people can afford to lash their pint into the air.  Unless it's not beer in the cup of course...

Usually by now I am missing footy and like a recovering heroin addict waiting for the chemist to open to get his methadone scrip....

But frankly this summer it isn't the case so far. The thought of being screwed over by the useless gets of PGMOL again and all the other shite, the ridiculous hoops have to jump through to get tickets, the state of the crowd at the game, the joy destroying VAR, the laughable media coverage - although i do avoid that as much as can, the ridiculous scheduling, the constant stream of injuries as a result of that schedule, the international breaks every 5 mins, the shite kick off times, abu fucking dhabi fc.....It really does feel like it has never been less appealing.

• Upvote 1

As Qatar backed PSG seem set to run away with the league again, the rest of the teams face a real battle just to survive. 

Struggle to find TV deal leaves French football clubs fearing bankruptcy (irishexaminer.com)

"My watchword will be ‘unity’,” said Vincent Labrune when he was elected president of the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) – the body that governs France’s top two divisions – in 2020.

But with little over a month until the new season, the former Marseille president finds himself in the line of fire, with several clubs in Ligue 1 facing the prospect of financial ruin owing to his failure to find a new bumper TV rights deal.

When Amazon indicated last year that it would not renew the cut-price deal worth only €250m a season it signed in 2021 after the previous rights holder, Mediapro, pulled out of their €800m deal, Labrune made a bold promise.

Yet his prediction that broadcast revenues could top €1bn a season in the new four-year cycle has come back to haunt the 53-year-old former communications executive.

After months of negotiations during which Canal+ and the Qatar-backed BeIN Sports have turned their backs on French football, there are said to be two offers on the table.

The first, from DAZN, is worth almost €400m a season, although Labrune would favour linking up with Warner Bros Discovery’s Max streaming service – a process that could involve Ligue 1 launching an in-house TV channel and that he has estimated would bring up to €600m a season.

Either way, that is a long way short of his predicted figure and way below the deal signed with Mediapro in 2018.

Some forecasts suggest that, under the DAZN deal, the winners of next season’s title would receive less than the €6m given in the past season to Clermont, who ended up bottom, with as many as eight clubs thought to be at serious risk of bankruptcy as a result.

There is loads wrong with the game,  but I assume most of the 265 fans would be happy with that and remove the hassle of putting in for each ticket separately. In fact knowing away fans I imagine Leeds' biggest problem will be other fans who only missed the odd game through illness etc. kicking off that they haven't been included.

On 11/07/2024 at 12:22, TheBitch said:

https://x.com/FreddyQuinne/status/1811102295548973247

Sorry I can’t embed Twitter links but this is it and for me absolutely fucking nails it word for word. (Apart from the bit about Goldbridge I like that guy)

83FD2F14-05E8-413E-B545-16623D3C7635.jpeg

177BB804-C75C-48C6-8765-2CFC45D8A369.jpeg

62562469-5C67-492D-B5B9-5A1E61B49A20.jpeg

4E838224-3A16-4A75-BB27-F76D7F3340BD.jpeg

Bielsa and Freddy Quinne are right. Klopp’s been saying similar for years too but in a more restrained way. The game will die in its current format. Even worse next season.

On 11/07/2024 at 12:22, TheBitch said:

https://x.com/FreddyQuinne/status/1811102295548973247

Sorry I can’t embed Twitter links but this is it and for me absolutely fucking nails it word for word. (Apart from the bit about Goldbridge I like that guy)

83FD2F14-05E8-413E-B545-16623D3C7635.jpeg

177BB804-C75C-48C6-8765-2CFC45D8A369.jpeg

62562469-5C67-492D-B5B9-5A1E61B49A20.jpeg

4E838224-3A16-4A75-BB27-F76D7F3340BD.jpeg

He's missed the most important point (in my opinion): the money.

The Premier League is no longer competitive; apart from us and Leicester, only the highest-spending teams have won it in the last 25 years.  Most seasons, you know before the first game who is likely to be champions and the one or two (at best) teams that will still be competing after May.

The Champions League has none of the magic of the European Cup.  There was a time that playing Real Madrid or Barcelona was a really big deal, because you had to earn the right to make it to the later stages.  Now* the big teams more-or-less get a bye into the last 16, because they have usually had to finish in the top two of a group with two shit teams. (*This is before whatever the fuck next year's set-up is.)

In both competitions, there's a vicious cycle of decreasing competition: success can be bought by a small number of rich clubs and all the financial rewards of success go to making those clubs richer.