You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

The way that the La Liga program on Sky and the Spanish press treat Barcelona and Real Madrid as rival soap operas.

There's always rumours coming out which manager will get sacked, which players have fallen out with each other, the coach, president etc.

The press seem to lap it up and get over excited about the possibilities of new managers and players coming in like they are new characters as well as which players they will openly pursue and unsetllem

• Upvote 2

Both clubs are knobhead central; they cultivate the kind of fan that formed a million 1990's Man Utd stereotypes.

A mate of a mate works in Barcelona as an English teacher and he went out there having visions of going to the Nou Camp every other week, fully immersing himself in that 'more than a club' shite. He said it took him a few weeks to realise that their fans are massive cocks who mostly don't even like football as such so have no sense of perspective. A draw at a 'tough place to go' (to use the old expression) like Bilbao or Sevilla is given the white hankie treatment because of the sheer indignity of Barcelona failing to win a game.

As for Real- similar band of gobshites. A mate of mine is learning Spanish and has ingratiated himself with a bunch of ex-pats living in town as a means of improving his skills. Anyway, I joined him for a pint with them one time and get talking to one about footy and he comes out with some shite like 'I support Real, but only in big games. They played Eibar last week, I don't care. Next week is the Clasico so I will watch.' I mentioned this casually to my mate and he was onto it- saying he watched the Champions League final with them and they were up every five minutes going for biffters, only arsed when it went to pens.

I imagine the bulk of both clubs' fans are the kind of homogenised meff you get in this country who watches The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent.

• Upvote 1

That Guillem Balague was in sky last night and he was like a woman going on about a plot in Coronation Street.

"Ronaldo isn't happy because Zidane subbed him, he's the only manager ever able to stand up to him". He always goes on about what managers are linked with both jobs and what players they will try to tap up. The rumours always seem to start as soon as the transfer window closes so you have this endless cycle of speculative bollocks because their fans are obsessed about buying new players.

Whenever Barca or Real win something the other team usually responds by spending big to take away the limelight from the other club. Like some ratings war between two soap operas.

Both clubs are knobhead central; they cultivate the kind of fan that formed a million 1990's Man Utd stereotypes.

A mate of a mate works in Barcelona as an English teacher and he went out there having visions of going to the Nou Camp every other week, fully immersing himself in that 'more than a club' shite. He said it took him a few weeks to realise that their fans are massive cocks who mostly don't even like football as such so have no sense of perspective. A draw at a 'tough place to go' (to use the old expression) like Bilbao or Sevilla is given the white hankie treatment because of the sheer indignity of Barcelona failing to win a game.

As for Real- similar band of gobshites. A mate of mine is learning Spanish and has ingratiated himself with a bunch of ex-pats living in town as a means of improving his skills. Anyway, I joined him for a pint with them one time and get talking to one about footy and he comes out with some shite like 'I support Real, but only in big games. They played Eibar last week, I don't care. Next week is the Clasico so I will watch.' I mentioned this casually to my mate and he was onto it- saying he watched the Champions League final with them and they were up every five minutes going for biffters, only arsed when it went to pens.

I imagine the bulk of both clubs' fans are the kind of homogenised meff you get in this country who watches The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent.

Sounds about right that. I used to work with a Barcelona fan who was from Morocco who used to go on about how special they were and that them winning the European Cup in 1992 was the greatest night of his life. He had never ever been to the Nou Camp.

Every major club has them fans though. The more successful the knob heads join the bandwagon. Look how many Africans you find supporting chelsea cause they won a few titles with a few African players. They'd het abused today and beaten the shit out of had they turned up there for a game before the Russian rolled up

Whatever happened to just reacting with joy to the goal you scored?

Jesse Lingard reveals inspiration behind new celebration after Manchester United's win over Middlesbrough

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jesse-lingard-manchester-united-middlesbrough-drake-more-life-a7638186.html

Lingard has to be the ugliest footballer in the country. He looks like something that Jim Henson created.

From the club that gave us Nobby Stiles, John Fitzpatrick, Paul Scholes and Luke Chadwick. They should put a 'Parental Guidance' sticker on their match tickets.

• Upvote 1

From the club that gave us Nobby Stiles, John Fitzpatrick, Paul Scholes and Luke Chadwick. They should put a 'Parental Guidance' sticker on their match tickets.

We had a few ugly mugs but compensated by winning loads of trophies. Now we have loads of pretty boys and no trophies. I know what I'd rather have.

National teams releasing 3rd kits when they have even less use for them than club sides. Nike have just released a navy 3rd kit for England which will probably be used no more than twice between now and the World Cup. At least one of those instances will be when there is no obvious clash with the opponents' kit anyway. Then as is the way before major tournaments, Nike will supply its teams with super duper brand new designs with the latest technology to draw sweat from the skin despite most players wearing a base layer beneath their shirt anyway.