You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Based on what I have read, I would say most of them thought it was the right decision. There certainly isn't the outrage that's all over the media and that's being proffered by non-Leicester fans.

It seems that a club whose recent managers have been of the standard of Nigel Pearson before Ranieri, deserve deluded supporters. Will be very interested to see who they think is good enough to replace Ranieri.

PS,this is the kind of decision Far Eastern businessmen make when in charge of your club so careful what you wish for.

It might be interesting to look at the stats for the last 5-6 years to see how many teams threatened with relegation have replaced their manager with 10-15 games remaining. As the TV money rises exponentially, the more likely it is that club owners will panic and make such a late change in the hope of turning it around and staying aboard the gravy train.

Just as Ranieri played a significant part in the unlikeliest of title wins, he's also played a significant part in the club's return to its natural level.

It seems that a club whose recent managers have been of the standard of Nigel Pearson before Ranieri, deserve deluded supporters. Will be very interested to see who they think is good enough to replace Ranieri.

PS,this is the kind of decision Far Eastern businessmen make when in charge of your club so careful what you wish for.

It was a proactive decision to try to prevent them from being relegated.  While it's sad, this is football these days. 

http://www.football365.com/news/mails-forget-sentimentality-ranieri-sack-is-right

• Upvote 1

He earned the right to try and keep them up and to try and bring them back for my money...

Leicester being in a relegation battle is their normal level - what isn't their normal level is the incredible achievement Ranieri led them to last year.. that achievement absolutely should buy him the chance to see this season through and see if he can keep them up for me.

I hope they go down.

Let it sink in...He led them to the Premier League title last season - Leicester fucking City a nomark, tinpot club who have spent less than half the last 20 years in the top flight, who have won virtually fuck all ever until last year - won the league last year.

It was a proactive decision to try to prevent them from being relegated.  While it's sad, this is football these days. 

http://www.football365.com/news/mails-forget-sentimentality-ranieri-sack-is-right

I remember watching a discussion of the Premier League's collective TV deal where a profound point on the nature of modern football was made by Gordon Taylor. No, not Graham, Gordon . . . come back, I can explain! He was up against some Square Mile spiv who believed that clubs should be able to negotiate deals separately. Competition would do what it does, squeezing even more money for everyone from the various TV companies. It took Taylor to point out that any market, from football to footwear, will tend towards monopoly. The successful companies thrive and the failures go out of business. That's not what we want in football though ,where punters are frowned upon if they take their business/support elsewhere and organising against owners who change the colour of the team's shirt is viewed as mainstream. Yet (and Taylor, part of an organisation that double-dips the football TV deal, doesn't strike me as being willing to follow through on the logic of his own statement) most of the money in football is hoarded among the haves. To fall out of the Premier League is rightly seen as a calamity, and the people bemoaning Ranieri's demise are not going to make up the income gap for Leicester's owners should they get relegated. It's pat to say this, but the one to blame here is modern football.  

• Upvote 1

There's the rub. It isn't your money.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  The Leicester owners, backed in general by the fans, thought it was the right thing to do.  What a supporter of another clubs thinks isn't that relevant.  Put it like this, if we'd won the league under Rodgers and were sitting in this position, I doubt many would be being guided by a sense of loyalty. It's a sorry state of affairs but it is what it is. 

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  The Leicester owners, backed in general by the fans, thought it was the right thing to do.  What a supporter of another clubs thinks isn't that relevant.  Put it like this, if we'd won the league under Rodgers and were sitting in this position, I doubt many would be being guided by a sense of loyalty. It's a sorry state of affairs but it is what it is. 

Don't think we could ever compare ourselves to Leicester.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The Leicester owners, backed in general by the fans, thought it was the right thing to do. What a supporter of another clubs thinks isn't that relevant. Put it like this, if we'd won the league under Rodgers and were sitting in this position, I doubt many would be being guided by a sense of loyalty. It's a sorry state of affairs but it is what it is.

I don't think you can compare us winning it and being where Leicester are now..Leicesters current position is their 'norm' (although that is being slightly kind, you could argue they are a championship club as that is where they have been most in last 15-20 years)

What happened there last year was a freak, a complete outlier...lets say Rodgers won the league and the following season we were 6th-8th (our normal level in recent times) would you back him being sacked then? Or would you give him time due to him finally ending our drought?. I'd say that is a fairer comparison - although of course Leicesters title win is even more amazing than if we won it.

I don't think you can compare us winning it and being where Leicester are now..Leicesters current position is their 'norm' (although that is being slightly kind, you could argue they are a championship club as that is where they have been most in last 15-20 years)

What happened there last year was a freak, a complete outlier...lets say Rodgers won the league and the following season we were 6th-8th (our normal level in recent times) would you back him being sacked then? Or would you give him time due to him finally ending our drought?. I'd say that is a fairer comparison - although of course Leicesters title win is even more amazing than if we won it.

Well OK, forget the hypothetical example because a very similar thing happened with Mourinho last year and I don't recall many people questioning the decision. And they weren't even close to being relegated at the time. I also don't agree with the feeling that because Leicester have historically not been a successful side, that it means they should put up with significantly underperforming the year after winning the title and being in a position where they could very well be relegated. They are surely entitled to expect better? If they were sitting even 11th or so, 10 points clear of the relegation zone, he'd still be in a job.

• Upvote 1

Well OK, forget the hypothetical example because a very similar thing happened with Mourinho last year and I don't recall many people questioning the decision. And they weren't even close to being relegated at the time. I also don't agree with the feeling that because Leicester have historically not been a successful side, that it means they should put up with significantly underperforming the year after winning the title and being in a position where they could very well be relegated. They are surely entitled to expect better? If they were sitting even 11th or so, 10 points clear of the relegation zone, he'd still be in a job.

I reckon he'd still be in a job had they finished 14th last year and were sitting where they are now.

But it's happened and we will all have different views on it...i just don't see this season as them significantly underperforming as you do - I see this as their usual level...last season was just an unreal, mad over performance.

Wes Morgan for example - a journeyman championship level player, Vardy a non league or league 2 player in his late 20's still...etc. Where they are now is where they usually are and probably will be higher than they are for a while.

As I said earlier they have spent more time out of the pl since sky invented footy than they have in it...another sustained period outside it awaits imo..

I reckon he'd still be in a job had they finished 14th last year and were sitting where they are now.

But it's happened and we will all have different views on it...i just don't see this season as them significantly underperforming as you do - I see this as their usual level...last season was just an unreal, mad over performance.

Wes Morgan for example - a journeyman championship level player, Vardy a non league or league 2 player in his late 20's still...etc. Where they are now is where they usually are and probably will be higher than they are for a while.

As I said earlier they have spent more time out of the pl since sky invented footy than they have in it...another sustained period outside it awaits imo..

This logic doesn't make any sense to me though.  Because they over-performed last season, they should accept under-performing now?  Surely a natural result of their winning the league last year is raised expectations?  At least to some extent?  Therefore, the threat of relegation should be perceived as more disastrous and unfathomable than in the past, surely?

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The Leicester owners, backed in general by the fans, thought it was the right thing to do. What a supporter of another clubs thinks isn't that relevant. Put it like this, if we'd won the league under Rodgers and were sitting in this position, I doubt many would be being guided by a sense of loyalty. It's a sorry state of affairs but it is what it is.

Leicester fans are a bunch of bad whoppers. Let's not forget loads of people were happy when we sacked Rafa. Doesn't make them right. They'll end up with someone like Pards and even if they stave of relegation this season, they'll succumb to it sooner than later because they're a no mark club who sack the only manager they've had who has ever achieved anything.

Leicester fans are a bunch of bad whoppers. Let's not forget loads of people were happy when we sacked Rafa. Doesn't make them right. They'll end up with someone like Pards and even if they stave of relegation this season, they'll succumb to it sooner than later because they're a no mark club who sack the only manager they've had who has ever achieved anything.

Ranieri might have claimed the biggest domestic prize, but I would agree with the majority of Leicester fans who think O'Neill did wonders for them. He got them promoted to the Premier League, established them in mid-table and won the League Cup twice in the late 90s. Given Leicester's overall history, that is well above par.

This logic doesn't make any sense to me though. Because they over-performed last season, they should accept under-performing now? Surely a natural result of their winning the league last year is raised expectations? At least to some extent? Therefore, the threat of relegation should be perceived as more disastrous and unfathomable than in the past, surely?

I don't think there should be raised expectations - what happened there last season is the biggest one off in sporting history, and all they have done this is returned to their level. For me the sheer size of their over performance last season should grant the man who led them to it at least this season of normal performance/the chance to see it through to a conclusion...as i said i bet they would have been made up with 10th last year - it would be a massive over achievement and a great effort, would he be facing the sack now if they had finished there?...

They lost arguably their best player as well. Relegation for them is not unfathomable at all and hopefully it will happen now.