You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

3rd Kits alone make me want to puke

The only slightly ok thing about goalie shirts these days is that they are nowhere near as bad as they were in the 90's

Ipads at the match. at the match. at the fucking match.

The lack of 'local' lads playing for their teams. We hardly have any scousers. Same with other teams, 1 in a million chance of playing professional footy for your favourite team these days. Shit for kids that.

The queue's for a pint are still horrendous

3rd Kits alone make me want to puke

The only slightly ok thing about goalie shirts these days is that they are nowhere near as bad as they were in the 90's

Ipads at the match. at the match. at the fucking match.

The lack of 'local' lads playing for their teams. We hardly have any scousers. Same with other teams, 1 in a million chance of playing professional footy for your favourite team these days. Shit for kids that.

The queue's for a pint are still horrendous

The lack of younger lads and fellas at matches who know anything about the club, its history, songs or former players is astounding.

Even when they sing about the mancs and shite it tends to be pretty witless and just done to order, as if it's what they feel they're supposed to be doing as Liverpool fans, while Googling song lyrics and checking the time.

I've personally never been exposed to the tribalism of football, never had a dad or mates who were minded that way - even now, for some reason, most of my mates are bitters. So I've never known what that was like, to be a hard core match goer, but when I have been to games it's not what I thought it'd be on that score, at all. I imagine it once was.

• Upvote 1

Do the champions still get a gold badge on their arm? not noticed for ages but I remember my mate in primary school getting one on his Liverpool shirt even though we hadn't won it. The blue-noses took the piss, I just didn't know how to react so ignored the whole scenario as best I could at the time.

I wanted Fowler on the back of my shirt that year (the kit with the three stripes coming up from the hips either side) but my dad was having none of it. Cheap cunt.

The lack of younger lads and fellas at matches who know anything about the club, its history, songs or former players is astounding.

Even when they sing about the mancs and shite it tends to be pretty witless and just done to order, as if it's what they feel they're supposed to be doing as Liverpool fans, while Googling song lyrics and checking the time.

I've personally never been exposed to the tribalism of football, never had a dad or mates who were minded that way - even now, for some reason, most of my mates are bitters. So I've never known what that was like, to be a hard core match goer, but when I have been to games it's not what I thought it'd be on that score, at all. I imagine it once was.

Kids don't read any more. When we were young, you'd ready your Liverpool (or City) books over and over, and stare at pictures of players past and present - because there wasn't really that much 'current day news' like today.

Kids now are just bombarded with 'here and now' and so don't even bother to do history research, they are too busy seeing what Mario or Sergio has put on twitter.

That's my theory anyway. 

Oh, and money arguments aside... kids ( and adults) are now just complete consumer junkies.... who are we going to buy next season (i.e. who are we going to buy to bring success). For all the talk of developing young players, every set of fans is underwhelmed if nobody is bought. 

• Upvote 4

Posted this loads of times but it is still relavant today.

I remember my old man taking me to the game just after we had won the 2nd or 3rd European Cup and I was telling him how much I love the club. His reply has a big suprise to me.

Dont ever give a toss about the club. Support the team but never do a dam thing for the club. We are the most successful team in the world but we still have to queue up like peasants get not one single facility in the ground where we stand packed on a concrete slab are forced to piss against a wall and pay £1 for a cup of tepid piss tea. Whilst others recline in leather chairs after a five course lunch.

He had been going since the 50's. Never bothers anymore.

That's how I feel now. Ian Ayre and FSG? Wouldn't piss on any of them if they were on fire.

Paying £59 for Ludogorets was the straw that broke the camel's back I think, especially as my seat is essentially an obstructed view.

For whatever reason you choose your team, it's a bond that essentially makes you dependent on them. A junkie for all intents and purposes.

Clubs know it, and they are little more than your supplier.

Get made redundant and struggle to buy a season ticket for a year.... you're more or less right to the back of the queue.

You can't help loving your club, it's what fans do, but fans do need to need to wake up to the reality of modern football. We're mugs, and the clubs the know it.

• Upvote 2

That's how I feel now. Ian Ayre and FSG? Wouldn't piss on any of them if they were on fire.

Paying £59 for Ludogorets was the straw that broke the camel's back I think, especially as my seat is essentially an obstructed view.

To be fair Dave, we've had games this season where they would have been justified charging a premium for that...

Might not be the right thread for this but it drives me nuts how the cameras always do close ups of players and managers after a missed opportunity or a bad tackle instead of following the fucking ball that's still in play. This isn't fucking Eastenders, it's football, I don't want to see Danny fucking Welbeck's disappointed grid or Mourinho complaining for the 4 billionth time, I want to see the fucking ball. But there will be some non-fan editor cunt somewhere rubbing their hands and insisting this is what people want

• Upvote 6

Kids don't read any more. When we were young, you'd ready your Liverpool (or City) books over and over, and stare at pictures of players past and present - because there wasn't really that much 'current day news' like today.

Kids now are just bombarded with 'here and now' and so don't even bother to do history research, they are too busy seeing what Mario or Sergio has put on twitter.

That's my theory anyway. 

Oh, and money arguments aside... kids ( and adults) are now just complete consumer junkies.... who are we going to buy next season (i.e. who are we going to buy to bring success). For all the talk of developing young players, every set of fans is underwhelmed if nobody is bought. 

Excellent post.

Does anyone remember those weirdly-sized Liverpool "annuals"?  They were released in the early 80s maybe?

I read them cover to cover.  I knew how much we paid for who, who they used to play for (which is why when I saw Doc Johnson in the alehouse the other year I could shout, Hey, mate, didn't you used to play for thingio, er, Ipswich?), how many career goals/appearances they had, where they were born etc etc.

I knew the full history of the club.

And I never used to like buying new players as they would push out our lads.

I also agree with the love the team, not the club.  They've always been shoddy even when I was a kid.

Mind you, I'm 43 and still obsessed with Liverpool.

Might not be the right thread for this but it drives me nuts how the cameras always do close ups of players and managers after a missed opportunity or a bad tackle instead of following the fucking ball that's still in play. This isn't fucking Eastenders, it's football, I don't want to see Danny fucking Welbeck's disappointed grid or Mourinho complaining for the 4 billionth time, I want to see the fucking ball. But there will be some non-fan editor cunt somewhere rubbing their hands and insisting this is what people want

True.

I think what football needs is more super slo-mo sock pulling.

Nothing more annoying than when the director is showing Mourinho as he's doing that 'look at me' leaving shite, before the end, with a match still happening.

For whatever reason you choose your team, it's a bond that essentially makes you dependent on them. A junkie for all intents and purposes.

Clubs know it, and they are little more than your supplier.

Get made redundant and struggle to buy a season ticket for a year.... you're more or less right to the back of the queue.

You can't help loving your club, it's what fans do, but fans do need to need to wake up to the reality of modern football. We're mugs, and the clubs the know it.

I remember many many years ago walking into the local newsagent and seeing the front cover of “Shoot” magazine with a picture of Ian Rush in an Everton jersey with the headline of how he couldn’t turn them down.  I was distraught.  I had to wait for the news that night to see if there was any news of this massive transfer.  But of course, back then, the BBC 9 o’clock news didn’t even give latest scores on evening matches, never mind footy transfer news.  News at 10 would give full time results, but I didn’t know for sure if they’d do transfer news. They didn’t say anything, so I had to wait until the next day to see the newspapers (again, walking to the shops to read them) to see if there was any mention in the sports sections.  It wasn’t until the next match that Rushie was playing for us that I knew for certain it was rubbish.  It turned out to be an April fools joke that Rush played along with.

Nowadays, someone would post the pic of Rush in the Everton jersey, and immediately one of the official accounts (“5 Times” or the likes) would say it was nonsense, and the joke would be done in the amount of time it’d take to write #WTF.

It’s all so shite

i will add though that one I don't miss is siting in front of teh TV staring at ceefax willing the score to change for the good.

Or worse again.

"3:42pm - Liverpool 1 v Coventry 0"

"3:43pm -  (correction) Liverpool 0 v Coventry 1"

Followed by much swearing.

• Upvote 1

I remember many many years ago walking into the local newsagent and seeing the front cover of “Shoot” magazine with a picture of Ian Rush in an Everton jersey with the headline of how he couldn’t turn them down. I was distraught. I had to wait for the news that night to see if there was any news of this massive transfer. But of course, back then, the BBC 9 o’clock news didn’t even give latest scores on evening matches, never mind footy transfer news. News at 10 would give full time results, but I didn’t know for sure if they’d do transfer news. They didn’t say anything, so I had to wait until the next day to see the newspapers (again, walking to the shops to read them) to see if there was any mention in the sports sections. It wasn’t until the next match that Rushie was playing for us that I knew for certain it was rubbish. It turned out to be an April fools joke that Rush played along with.

Nowadays, someone would post the pic of Rush in the Everton jersey, and immediately one of the official accounts (“5 Times” or the likes) would say it was nonsense, and the joke would be done in the amount of time it’d take to write #WTF.

It’s all so shite

Ha, that one got me to. Walked into Easons on Patrick st. Cork to get my Match magazine and saw that Shoot! cover. My guts nearly dropped through my arse at the sight of it.

Have always felt like this about going the match to be honest, along with night clubs and open air concerts, it's the least respected you'll ever be as a paying customer.