You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Quite how a self serving organisation based in Switzerland managed to grab control of the worlds most widely played and followed sport escapes me, How difficult would it be to organise a World Cup  every 4 years without it turning into a shitfest of bribes, corruption and nepotism ?  Personally I would start with a reformed EUFA in conjunction with the South American association and organise a competition with all the main footballing nations, If , at the risk of sounding disparaging , any of the Mickey Mouse footballing countries wanted to join the party they could subject to them not expecting to wag the tail of the dog or get squillions in kick backs, No countries with repressive regimes and no massive disruptions to the domestic European season,  The whole thing to based in the EU and subject to proper scrutiny and taxes.  Oh and no way is it played in fucking Quatar.   

I thought it was when the European and South American FA's decided to set up the Jules Rimet(?) Trophy aka the World Cup and the English FA ignored it until the 50's?

Although Stanley Rous managed to get himself as the head of FIFA by then the ability of any single FA to steer FIFA had long gone.

And if you're wanting to get away from corruption, surely some of the South American FA's are the last you invite to the table?

• Upvote 1

It was like something out of a Greek tragedy.  A young player looking woefully out of his depth, sporting a new haircut to compliment the flashing bright lights of his name being advertised everywhere he looked, having to struggle around the pitch whilst the whole world watches.

Who on earth advises him?

Beckham started this type of thing, but this lad has taken it to a new level.

He's not a footballer, he's a promotional entity.

"Just a little pinprick
That'll keep you going through the show
Come on it's time to go."

11317756_ori.jpg

A story on United’s official website, entitled “Pogba makes Twitter emoji history” - seriously, what has football come to? – took pride of place on the homepage over the weekend and throughout the course of the game, until someone obviously realised it didn’t do them any favours and opted to move it somewhere more discreet. That same story was accompanied by United’s group managing director, Richard Arnold, once again talking up the club’s purported 659 million followers and how “this emoji is another great tool for our supporters to connect with the club through a digital environment, particularly as the excitement builds for Sunday’s match against Liverpool”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/16/manchester-united-selling-paul-pogba-short-hyping-emoji-nonsense/

Pogba's first tweet with his new emoji?  "let's have fun and kick some ass!"

How did that work out for you, then?

A story on United’s official website, entitled “Pogba makes Twitter emoji history” - seriously, what has football come to? – took pride of place on the homepage over the weekend and throughout the course of the game, until someone obviously realised it didn’t do them any favours and opted to move it somewhere more discreet. That same story was accompanied by United’s group managing director, Richard Arnold, once again talking up the club’s purported 659 million followers and how “this emoji is another great tool for our supporters to connect with the club through a digital environment, particularly as the excitement builds for Sunday’s match against Liverpool”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/16/manchester-united-selling-paul-pogba-short-hyping-emoji-nonsense/

Pogba's first tweet with his new emoji?  "let's have fun and kick some ass!"

How did that work out for you, then?

Is his emoji and little man in a red shirt with his arm up handling a football ?

I have no problem with Pogba, his emoji, his brand.. any of that shit. I do have a problem with grown Mancunian men thinking he's cool. I can just picture them now. It starts off with a simple dab, but before long they're squeezing into jeans way too tight for them, wearing snapbacks and asking their sons if they want to go see that Skepta. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Get that lad a beer. Nail on the head all over the shop there.

What is it with players talking to each other and hiding their mouths either behind there hands or their shirt. I saw Sterling and Danny Rose doing it last week and Sturridge is always doing it. What are they saying? "Got are few slappers at the lowry later if your interested" If I was the manager I'd tell all of my team to cut it the fuck out. And get decent haircuts.

Get that lad a beer. Nail on the head all over the shop there.

What is it with players talking to each other and hiding their mouths either behind there hands or their shirt. I saw Sterling and Danny Rose doing it last week and Sturridge is always doing it. What are they saying? "Got are few slappers at the lowry later if your interested" If I was the manager I'd tell all of my team to cut it the fuck out. And get decent haircuts.

Hard to argue with most of what he said............far too many half scarf wearing, selfie stick wielding beauts at the match these days.

Hard to argue with most of what he said............far too many half scarf wearing, selfie stick wielding beauts at the match these days.

I agreed with all of it. Particularly the bit about of you were watching the match at home would you get up on 42 minutes and leave the room? Yet you see loads of beauts walking back to their seats with pizza boxes. Football (certainly the premier league ) is becoming like baseball.