You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Qualifying for the CL group stage is the new winning at football.

They're both Johnny come lately money teams. That said you can win the EC/ CL and go into freefall years later like Forest and even Villa, it's more about doing it for a period of time even though you may not be doing it now. We earned the tag over 30 years despite not being up there currently. They have merely a platform.

Guest Pistonbroke

They're both Johnny come lately money teams. That said you can win the EC/ CL and go into freefall years later like Forest and even Villa, it's more about doing it for a period of time even though you may not be doing it now. We earned the tag over 30 years despite not being up there currently. They have merely a platform.

A platform that has reaped no European benefits to date and is unlikely to improve this season. For the sheer amounts of money they have both spent you can argue that they have paid way over the odds to win domestic silverware as well. 

A platform that has reaped no European benefits to date and is unlikely to improve this season. For the sheer amounts of money they have both spent you can argue that they have paid way over the odds to win domestic silverware as well.

City have wasted more on defence than two Bush Presidents.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

"Mersey Monday" Must have taking months for the sky promo team to come up with that.

Someone stroked their chin for a whole day whilst emptying an industrial sized coffee machine earning about 10 grand in the process to come up with it. 

Someone stroked their chin for a whole day whilst emptying an industrial sized coffee machine earning about 10 grand in the process to come up with it. 

They started last weekend bigging it all up mate. Woodison under the lights being special and there is no other place like it in the PL,  I hope we piss on Sky's chips and go 2 or 3 up quickly and have the place half empty by 80 minutes , Unfortunately more likely it will be all played at 100 mph with a fair amount of luck on th side of the winners   

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

They started last weekend bigging it all up mate. Woodison under the lights being special and there is no other place like it in the PL,  I hope we piss on Sky's chips and go 2 or 3 up quickly and have the place half empty by 80 minutes , Unfortunately more likely it will be all played at 100 mph with a fair amount of luck on th side of the winners   

I think under Klopp we'll approach it more sensibly and destroy them in the first half with our pace as they sit back and try to counter with long balls up to Lakaku. . 

I think under Klopp we'll approach it more sensibly and destroy them in the first half with our pace as they sit back and try to counter with long balls up to Lakaku. . 

They played well against Arsenal in the second half last weekend, Lukaku was a real handful and Coleman and Baines were as good as I've seen them this season. Even Barclay looked a threat again,  They will go for the fast start against us and imperative we don't let them in and try and punish them on the counter, Neither defense is great so it could be down to the better organised team with the better midfield and work-rate, That should be us,.

• 2 weeks later...

My father-in-law is a West Ham season ticket holder.  He was telling me the other day about some of the details of their stadium financing.  Basically, they got it nice and cheap, but the Government are able to collect revenue from it when it's used for other events such as athletics or concerts.  To accommodate these events, the lower tiers of seating are supposed to be retractable.  A company won a contract to move the seating twice a year, for an annual cost of £300,000.  That company went bust and, when the contract was retendered, the best bid was for £8 million a year.  That will probably be charged, ultimately, to the taxpayers. 

Guest Pistonbroke

My father-in-law is a West Ham season ticket holder.  He was telling me the other day about some of the details of their stadium financing.  Basically, they got it nice and cheap, but the Government are able to collect revenue from it when it's used for other events such as athletics or concerts.  To accommodate these events, the lower tiers of seating are supposed to be retractable.  A company won a contract to move the seating twice a year, for an annual cost of £300,000.  That company went bust and, when the contract was retendered, the best bid was for £8 million a year.  That will probably be charged, ultimately, to the taxpayers. 

I wonder who has shares in the company that won the 8 million contract?