You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

The way any daft new trivial shit becomes a big deal in the ever widening search to fill time on TV and column inches, like that shaving foam shite from the world cup. You'd get an ITV closeup and Chiles going 'so what do we make of the foam then gents?'. Who gives a flying fuck, how about you read up on the opposition team and give us some, you know, insights instead.

• Upvote 2

Teams having a new 3rd kit that gets worn 3-4 times a season at most, and only because they have to wear it as part of some contractual agreement with the sponsor rather than because it's necessary. In Liverpool's case, the 3rd kit hasn't actually been used at all yet this season and it's unlikely to be used in the away fixtures at Palace and Bournemouth, because the yellow away kit will provide a better contrast to those teams' home kits. The 3rd kit should be the previous season's away kit and only be used if necessary.

Teams having a new home kit every season. Changing them every couple of years was bad enough.

Football has always had a tendency to throw good money after bad, but in today's game that wastefulness can be counted in the billions. Transfer fees and wages are ridiculous enough, but so is the fact that so many infrastructure projects are signed off without having their inadequacies addressed. With architecture and planning technology so advanced these days, I find it amazing that you still find brand new stadiums with restricted view seats all over the place. Not to mention white elephant stadiums getting built just to host a few World Cup games for example. Too much money on style over substance.

The way any daft new trivial shit becomes a big deal in the ever widening search to fill time on TV and column inches, like that shaving foam shite from the world cup. You'd get an ITV closeup and Chiles going 'so what do we make of the foam then gents?'. Who gives a flying fuck, how about you read up on the opposition team and give us some, you know, insights instead.

Or better still, rack up a few lines of cyanide.

The way so many people on forums, or in newspapers get mortally offended by pretty much anything anyone does or says. They will dissect a comment to try and find any nuance that can be considered xenophobic, homophobic, racist, sexist, or just offensive.  My personal favourite is the discussions on forums as to whether or not a person should be offended by something. 

I just really fucking hate people.

Not really a football gripe, that.

When Mourinho was on about the Chelsea fans being shit, radio Merseyside had some Chelsea fan journo on who said he'd recently been sat next to a woman at the game who was asleep with a blanket over her.

Sure that wasn't Roy on an England observation mission?

There is a lot of stuff that bugs me about the modern game, but to be fair none of our young fans have to run the very real risk of getting their heads kicked in if they want to follow their team away like us oldies did in the 70's and 80's.

This

Yeah, you need to get a 2nd mortgage out to go to the game now but the stadiums are generally safe with a modicum of comfort; the bogs are generally better than a dank, smelly wall and the opposition fans aren't howling for your blood and pelting you with sharpened coins, darts and anything else they can get their hands on

It was fun at the time but i cringe when i think about it now

And to add to that the death of the also once brilliant League Cup.

Spot on. Trophies no longer seem to be important, the FA Cup is almost a consolation prize these days before the lord mayor's parade that is the Champions League. It's fucking shit. It's like fans have been conditioned to think finishing fourth is the be all and end all of football because it's all the money men are interested in, yet the likes of us and Arsenal could see a time where that's our whole raison d'etre, to finish fourth year after year, so we can buy players to help us - erm - get back into the champions league. Footballing purgatory is what it is, neither heaven nor hell, just there. Bullshit.

The way Sky and BT sport have harvested the last of the free football also fucks me off. The CL won't be on ITV any more and I doubt I'll watch it again. Anything they can get their grubby little hands on they'll carve up. If I suddenly developed a liking for the Belgian league on Channel 5 one of the cunts would end up buying that too, slap a picture of Natalie Sawyer on the front and charge me 18 grand to watch it. Fuck off.  

• Upvote 1

And to add to that the death of the also once brilliant League Cup.

Spot on. Trophies no longer seem to be important, the FA Cup is almost a consolation prize these days before the lord mayor's parade that is the Champions League. It's fucking shit. It's like fans have been conditioned to think finishing fourth is the be all and end all of football because it's all the money men are interested in, yet the likes of us and Arsenal could see a time where that's our whole raison d'etre, to finish fourth year after year, so we can buy players to help us - erm - get back into the champions league. Footballing purgatory is what it is, neither heaven nor hell, just there. Bullshit.

The way Sky and BT sport have harvested the last of the free football also fucks me off. The CL won't be on ITV any more and I doubt I'll watch it again. Anything they can get their grubby little hands on they'll carve up. If I suddenly developed a liking for the Belgian league on Channel 5 one of the cunts would end up buying that too, slap a picture of Natalie Sawyer on the front and charge me 18 grand to watch it. Fuck off.