You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

When Gary fucking Neville is considered to be the country's best football pundit. 

I don't get all this "He's actually quite good." stuff.

He's a little fucking rat & should be drowned like one.

• Upvote 2

Guest Super Sub

The root of our problem is Sky.

And Capitalism.

A poisonous combination.

You talk about Sky as if they went around the top 22 clubs in England beat the chairmen over the head with a blunt object and the following day our beloved clubs were on board a ship legally bound into service.

Guest Super Sub

What's the competition?

Fletch and Sav?

Got to say but Say but Fletch and Sav are a guilty pleasure of mine on a Saturday morning.

You talk about Sky as if they went around the top 22 clubs in England beat the chairmen over the head with a blunt object and the following day our beloved clubs were on board a ship legally bound into service.

There was no blunt object, just a suitcase full of cash.

Guest Super Sub

There was no blunt object, just a suitcase full of cash.

While I do share your sentiments on a more positive note the coverage and the amount of football on TV is miles better than it was before Sky.

While I do share your sentiments on a more positive note the coverage and the amount of football on TV is miles better than it was before Sky.

Yeah it's much better when most of the population can't watch it as they can't afford sky.

What are the viewing figures for a match on sky? 1m? 2m?

They used to get 15m on terrestrial.

And there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

• Upvote 1

Guest Super Sub

Yeah it's much better when most of the population can't watch it as they can't afford sky.

Yeah but fucking snooker used to get that as well and snooker is shit. I don't believe that most of the population can't afford it, it only costs £46 per month for sky sports. That is not a huge amount of money, maybe the low viewing figures are for the shit matches. Not only that but because you have channels dedicated to sport and you pay a subscription you also get more football related content that you wouldn't get on free view. All that content has to be paid for somehow

• Downvote 2

That's the thing though mate, everything is cut to the bone these days, and £46 can be harder to find than you think, even if you're on a fairly decent wage.

Not to mention that the unemployed never used to get slaughtered for having a TV license, but having sky when you're unemployed, you're seen by the great and good as taking the piss!

Difficult to quantify sky viewing figures. I mean if you get 200 people in a pub watching the game, is that counted as 1 sky subscription so only one 'viewer'?

Do that across hundreds of pubs and the viewing figures look totally different.

Fuck, the FA Cup Final used to get almost half the nation watching it but now, BBC get about 7m I think.

Guest Super Sub

That's the thing though mate, everything is cut to the bone these days, and £46 can be harder to find than you think, even if you're on a fairly decent wage.

Not to mention that the unemployed never used to get slaughtered for having a TV license, but having sky when you're unemployed, you're seen by the great and good as taking the piss!

If your unemployed you can't afford Sky but you can't afford fucking anything if your signing on as its only something like £290 a month. You can't really blame Sky for the dole being so low, if your on the sick then you can easily afford Sky. I travel through council estates in Liverpool and every fucker has Sky dishes up.

Or afford to go to games. 

Guest Super Sub

Sky has ruined Football.

I wouldn't point the finger at Sky I would say it's club owners and chairmen who want to make more money out of their clubs than they were doing beforehand.

While it is a fucker having to pay for Sky the coverage and the amount of football is much better. Also are people blaming Sky for the fact that Liverpool aren't able to compete financially with the top 4 cause IMO that isn't Sky's fault that is down to the poor management of the club in the past.