You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Seems at odds to bitch and moan at the commercialization of football (as if it's a new concept) on a forum littered with posts about spending money hand over fist on the latest shiny new players or giving existing player 'whatever they want' in remuneration their services.

No-one is suggesting that it's a new concept. It's starting to price more and more people out though, especially as wages stagnate and living costs increase.

I must admit i'm really surprised by your lack of compassion, said no-one ever, to you.

• Upvote 4

No-one is suggesting that it's a new concept. It's starting to price more and more people out though, especially as wages stagnate and living costs increase.

I must admit i'm really surprised by your lack of compassion, said no-one ever, to you.

Compassion for who, some blerts on the internet who spend their lives complaining that we're only fifth in the wages table or we don't spend 50 million on a player yet bitch about deals that may facilitate the things they want?

You genuinely think THOSE are the people worthy of compassion?

Pretty much cost neutral for them, they have to fill the stadium as much as they can and they're essentially getting the stadium for free (15 million plus 2 million a season rent).

The benefits of state aid.

Compassion for who, some blerts on the internet who spend their lives complaining that we're only fifth in the wages table or we don't spend 50 million on a player yet bitch about deals that may facilitate the things they want?

You genuinely think THOSE are the people worthy of compassion?

I haven't seen anyone do that. I have seen plenty moan about ticket prices.

I have seen plenty moan about us not investing enough to compete.

I don't think the same points come from the same people though but feel free to point it out.

Just as the Premier League killed us, it has gone gone to kill football - at least the football that those old enough remember pre-PL.

I don't even care that much for football anymore, only can stand to watch it when we're playing and if some other match has relevance to our season. Even then watch little. It's all just canned, predictable tripe.

Not that I needed any more incentive to tune it out but the news that Henderson has been rewarded with a 100 grand a week for his efforts is such a monumental piss take of fans still going to the matches and paying way over price for anything connected with the club that any working person whose politics are even a little to the left of Genghis fucking Khan should just say enough.

• Upvote 2

Just as the Premier League killed us, it has gone gone to kill football - at least the football that those old enough remember pre-PL.

I don't even care that much for football anymore, only can stand to watch it when we're playing and if some other match has relevance to our season. Even then watch little. It's all just canned, predictable tripe.

Not that I needed any more incentive to tune it out but the news that Henderson has been rewarded with a 100 grand a week for his efforts is such a monumental piss take of fans still going to the matches and paying way over price for anything connected with the club that any working person whose politics are even a little to the left of Genghis fucking Khan should just say enough.

Premier league didn't kill us, it tried to give us an advantage along with united and Arsenal. It's just that we were owned and run by a pair of know-nothings, and do even fucking less' who sat fiddlng his tache whilst rome was burning.

• Upvote 2

A large part of my footy soul died when I first saw a half and half Liverpool/Chelsea scarf on the Kop. I am not exaggerating when I say I nearly shed a tear. It was like something left my body.

Liverpool - Celtic/r*ngers (I know), european team or even everton )if it is some sort of symbol of the city) I can accept. But Chelsea? fuck right off. We and most if not all premier league clubs are being run like an American football franchise. I fucking detest it.

• Upvote 2

Premier league didn't kill us, it tried to give us an advantage along with united and Arsenal. It's just that we were owned and run by a pair of know-nothings, and do even fucking less' who sat fiddlng his tache whilst rome was burning.

Well said.

It can't be underestimated how much we've managed to contribute to our own slide into mediocrity in the last 25 years.

• Upvote 2

Whenever I hear stuff like this I always think of A Bronx Tale when Sonny the main gangster tells C to stop caring about baseball.

Young Calogero: Bill Mazeroski, I hate him. He made Mickey Mantle cry. The papers said the Mick cried.

Sonny: Mickey Mantle? That's what you're upset about? Mantle makes $100,000 a year. How much does your father make? If your dad ever can't pay the rent and needs money, go ask Mickey Mantle. See what happens. Mickey Mantle don't care about you. Why care about him?

Teenage Calogero: [narrating] After that, I never felt the same way about the Yankees.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to watch the game through the eyes of a casual fan with no team allegiances, just able to watch the game with no stress, knowing it doesn't really matter in the grands scheme of things. Then I think of how much of a faff that would be because merely dragging them down into the basement first looks like a lot of hard work!

I've been going the match with my old man since I was about 8 and managed to get a season ticket of mine around ten years ago, but it's becoming harder and harder to justify. The cost, for one thing, is fucking scandalous in comparison to how much fans pay on the continent for season tickets. I've always said when it hits a grand, I'm out simply based on the principle of paying four figures to watch football. I may even do it before that though. I'm 28 later on this year and am giving thought to jibbing it when I'm 30.

The atmosphere, for one thing, is fucking crap. It's absolutely disgraceful and downright shameful. I can count on one hand the amount of times this season it's been decent. All of the Champions League games were shite- especially Basel, what was a must win game- and the nadir was the Besiktas game in the Europa League. Their fans were fucking class all game while ours just sat on their arse. When Balotelli scored the pen, it was excruciating watching thousands of people- kids and grown men who fucking should know better- all stand up in unison and start pointing to the away end going 'you're not singing anymore'. Really, is that what we've become?

The United game was fucking shite and the worst thing was at half time when Pele was asked what he made of the 'famous Anfield atmosphere'. The Mancs rightfully laughed their arses off because I know I'd be doing the same if I was in the away end at Old Trafford and they wheeled him out and was asked the same question after 45 mins of complete silence.

That's the thing though now- the 'famous Anfield atmosphere' is just something used to sell the club to sponsors and day trippers. In reality, it's fucking bollocks and has been for some time. Case in point, Wembley was whopper central on Sunday and the atmosphere was completely abysmal. In a fucking cup semi final. We were outsang by Villa fans for the whole 90 mins, and I don't think their players were the only ones who wanted it more.

I'm not having a go at OOTers and I don't want anyone to think I am. I know some great reds from outside the city and outside Merseyside who get the club. A mate of mine is from New York, for example, is clued up on the club and has fantastic knowledge.

It's just a whoppers mentality which I can't get my head around. I went to a St Pauli game earlier this year with a few mates and we basically watched the match with a beer and got involved with a bit of the singing (well, the bits we could understand because none of us speak German). That was pretty much it. I really can't understand what would possess a grown man to go the match wearing a captain's armband or dressed in a Liverpool superhero costume or with a camera strapped to his head, as in some pictures I've seen doing the rounds.

That's the thing now, we're a club every knobhead wants a piece of and the club are more than happy with that even if it is to the detriment of the atmosphere and culture of the club, so long as they're willing to spend a wedge on merchandise. We've sold our soul for sausage rolls.

How do so many of these whoppers get tickets in the first place?

There are people who weren't even born when that shithouse of a club were rescued and transformed by the blood money of the Russian clapping seal, who are now almost teenagers and only know that Chelsea are some footballing powerhouse that hoovers up trophies every year whereas Liverpool are just an above-average Premier League club that maybe wins a cup every few years. No wonder you hear of (and maybe see) loads of kids walking around wearing Chelsea shirts. To these people, Chelsea are almost certainly the bigger and more decorated club.

That shit ain't right, to put it mildly.

• Upvote 4

How do so many of these whoppers get tickets in the first place?

A mix between Thomas Cook and some season ticket holders selling their tickets for big games for top dollar. I've heard of one fella who sells his season ticket for games against the Mancs, Chelsea and Arsenal and gets £200 for each game. That pays for the bulk of his season ticket. Even te Steven Gerrard charity game tickets were being sold on some ticket exchange website for £95 even though the face value was £25-£30. Virtually none of those tickets went on general sale either.

I had to move out of my house a few years ago and stay in a hotel. When Liverpool played at home the hotel would be rammed full of mainly Irish fans who had been able to obtain tickets for Games like Norwich, West Brom & West Ham. I asked one how much they paid overall and he said that he paid £500-£550 for his package. That included a flight from Ryanair and a Premier Inn stay, also a coach ride to and from the game. Way overpriced but he said it was the only opportunity for him to ever get to a game. Oh, he got a half Liverpool half Norwich scarf as part of the package.

A mix between Thomas Cook and some season ticket holders selling their tickets for big games for top dollar. I've heard of one fella who sells his season ticket for games against the Mancs, Chelsea and Arsenal and gets £200 for each game. That pays for the bulk of his season ticket. Even te Steven Gerrard charity game tickets were being sold on some ticket exchange website for £95 even though the face value was £25-£30. Virtually none of those tickets went on general sale either.

I had to move out of my house a few years ago and stay in a hotel. When Liverpool played at home the hotel would be rammed full of mainly Irish fans who had been able to obtain tickets for Games like Norwich, West Brom & West Ham. I asked one how much they paid overall and he said that he paid £500-£550 for his package. That included a flight from Ryanair and a Premier Inn stay, also a coach ride to and from the game. Way overpriced but he said it was the only opportunity for him to ever get to a game. Oh, he got a half Liverpool half Norwich scarf as part of the package.

I get people selling season tickets for home games etc.

But why would so many season ticket holders sell FA cup semi final tickets to Wembley?

Just winds me up as a member I struggle to get tickets to one or two games per season.