You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Which goes back to my point about none of us being clean in any of this and it's all just a pointless exercise in finger pointing and faux outrage (albeit at varying degrees).

No individual fan of any club cares about the good of the game over and above their own interests, as long as we get what we want on our terms and come out of it pretending to be righteous thats all anyone really cares about.

Same goes for everyone else at every level of football.

Not sure everyone entirely agrees with that. Yes, some fans of clubs like chelsea, city and now newcastle have sold their souls in exchange for being propelled from non entities to trophy winners when sufficient money is thrown at them.

Even on here there are some fans who want our owners to pour more money into the transfer kitty to achieve that success.

All fans want to see their club win trophies although lower down the leagues, I suppose just having their club exist is what many want.

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Which goes back to my point about none of us being clean in any of this and it's all just a pointless exercise in finger pointing and faux outrage (albeit at varying degrees).

I suppose you nod eagerly in agreement when Sympathy for the Devil comes on the radio and Sir Mick announces that the Kennedys were killed by 'you and me'! 

Unless you acknowledge huge differences in terms both of explicit and implicit consent, and degrees of involvement, and appreciate the significance of those differences, then you may as well hold responsible most people you meet for national debts, dubious education policies or war crimes. Many fans have a keen enough moral sense, but also a practical awareness of what they can and can't do to act on that sense. 

It's no good, or help, just lazily saying 'we're all to blame' and then dozing off back to sleep like Andy Capp wrapped in old Guardians.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

No individual fan of any club cares about the good of the game over and above their own interests, as long as we get what we want on our terms and come out of it pretending to be righteous thats all anyone really cares about.

Same goes for everyone else at every level of football.

I'll still support LFC in The Conference and if that's what happens because we refuse to be taken over by corrupt regimes then so be it. I'm hardly enamoured by our current owners but most people currently work in companies with little difference to how LFC are run and at least they seem to know how to run a business without slaughtering opposing opinions quite literally.

So FIFA cram all sorts of pointless friendlies in any spare spot in the calendar that they can find. 

Then you come to the play-offs at the end of a long qualification process. Outside of actual tournaments, these games are as big as it gets. So let's make it a single game in a neutral venue. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, A_S said:

So FIFA cram all sorts of pointless friendlies in any spare spot in the calendar that they can find. 

Then you come to the play-offs at the end of a long qualification process. Outside of actual tournaments, these games are as big as it gets. So let's make it a single game in a neutral venue. 

Why blame FIFA for friendlies?

Surely that's the respective FAs?

Splain it to me...

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

Why blame FIFA for friendlies?

Surely that's the respective FAs?

Splain it to me...

FIFA's stated aim is to put international football 'back' at the top of football as the elite level.

It is FIFA who define the international breaks to align the footballing calendar. Once this is done, the confederate associations of FIFA then schedule 'friendlies' amongst the qualifers for either the World Cup or their own international competitions.

For the life of me, I dont get why international managers need a friendly game before or after an international qualification game. Club managers dont get friendlies before cup games.

Yes, national FAs share responsibility but they are just component parts complicit in FIFAs actions.

10 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Some of the responses especially the dig at Liverpool, furloughing staff which we didn't but a fair few others did why no outrage when the big companies furloughed their staff, clubs are miniscule compared to the big stores, tech companies, banks the Motor industry and god knows who else furloughed their staff. Front runners of the ESL no more front runners than any of the other 6 clubs or elite sides involved no more different a move than those sides involved in forming the premier league, amazing how many fans whose sides cant get within a million years of the champions league were so annoyed it might get replaced, i was pissed off because i love the european cup and also sporting integrity of not getting relegated in it was compromised. Standard chartered sponsorship I'd be happy for them to cancel it I doubt there's a bank in the world that isn't corrupt to fuck but I guess before you can cancel a contract you need to be legally able too. Its an example of sportwashing in order to defend a cheating despotic nation state you scrape the barrel in order to defend their honour. City are a political plaything and they've made football far worse for it.