You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

Christ, even games companies are shying away from this shite. Embarrassing. 

Only a few are, the rest are running head first into the worst kind of NFT's

The only redeeming factor with the LFC ones seems to be they aren't being peddled as investment items and are instead being pitched as shit collectibles with Sotheby's rather than some of the shitty shady companies.

Has Andy Robertson bailed out on his NFT's yet?

32 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

NFTs seem a load of bollocks to me but, I dont think the club can afford to jib this stuff when clubs at home and abroad will be piling into these schemes and generate even more income for themselves.

So far most of them seem to have screwed the general public out of their money propped up by celeb endorsement.

The ape kids club, for example, that was being pushed by John Terry with the help of current and ex players lost 90% of it's value and then those players quietly backed away from the project. 

Comes on the back of shit like the Football Index which, while not an NFT was the kind of gambling/investment nonsense that clubs and players should stay clear of pushing.

Rest easy. Our self-elected representatives, The Spirit of Stalin, have got involved to say that they have no say in the matter but will not endorse it. That showed them! Gawd bless ya, Mr Kite!

"In January, Spirit of Shankly attended a two-hour meeting with the club, as part of the revised approach to open engagement, in order to discuss their plans for this new venture. NFTs are a digital phenomenon that have exploded over the past year and we asked them why they were considering a move into this market.

"We were able to challenge, scrutinise, and question their desire to enter into this. We also raised concerns about financial, environmental sustainability and other risks involved.

"LFC do not require our consent in relation to merchandise and up to now we have not endorsed any LFC merchandise, digital or otherwise and similarly it is not for us to endorse this product.

"It is a fan’s decision alone what they choose to buy from the club. We only hope that the risk involved here is apparent and we expect LFC to assess this marketplace constantly and communicate with supporters."

Maybe I’m missing something but really who cares? either the club makes money out of it or it doesn’t either way I won’t be buying them.

looking at the reaction on social media you’d swear people were told they had to buy them & they’d no choice. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

We’d still have that corner shop in the main stand car park if our fans had anything to do with it. NFTs are Nathan Barleyesque in the extreme but so what. Maybe they’re totally Mexico I don’t know but if dickheads want to buy them then go for it.

Ah, those were the days queuing to get into that 'souvie shop'! Packed in like sardines, one way only and in 10 steps you'd gone in the entrance and out the exit back into the car park!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Ah, those were the days queuing to get into that 'souvie shop'! Packed in like sardines, one way only and in 10 steps you'd gone in the entrance and out the exit back into the car park!

Simpler times but fuck me if anything represented how we rested on laurels being run like a corner shop well into the 90s it was that place. Now it’s NFTs baby we’re back!

6358C438-8DF5-467C-BD17-3233037F6311.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mark M said:

Maybe I’m missing something but really who cares? either the club makes money out of it or it doesn’t either way I won’t be buying them.

looking at the reaction on social media you’d swear people were told they had to buy them & they’d no choice. 

As previously said, most NFT's are hugely predatory, like dodgy crypto, it's beneficial to be in at the ground floor and then bail before the value plummets leaving those you've convinced to buy with nothing.

The club at the very least look like they're trying to mitigate that but when you have people with influence and in positions of power trying to convince people to make an investment that could lose them money it sit's uncomfortably.

See John Terry pushing pictures of monkeys to kids with the help of the likes of Tammy Abraham and Ashley Cole, seeing them lose 90% value and then those players walking away. It's pushing gambling.

It goes in the same bin as lootboxes, football index and FIFA points. 

• Upvote 1

Didn’t know where to share it but this guy Mitchell apparently has a good track record in analysing and predicting future football trends. I was positive about our hopes of Salah sticking around until listening to this. Sounds like a difficult few years ahead for lots of clubs in the wider game, wouldn’t like to be a blue listening to it anyway.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-transfer-window/id1254836234?i=1000554882330

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

To be honest,you tended to feel more like a fan at least rather than just a cash machine with legs. You felt the club actually needed you to function rather than you just being another money making opportunity.

10 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Rest easy. Our self-elected representatives, The Spirit of Stalin, have got involved to say that they have no say in the matter but will not endorse it. That showed them! Gawd bless ya, Mr Kite!

"The Spirit of Stalin" - That made me laugh out loud!! 

Which goes back to my point about none of us being clean in any of this and it's all just a pointless exercise in finger pointing and faux outrage (albeit at varying degrees).

No individual fan of any club cares about the good of the game over and above their own interests, as long as we get what we want on our terms and come out of it pretending to be righteous thats all anyone really cares about.

Same goes for everyone else at every level of football.

28 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Which goes back to my point about none of us being clean in any of this and it's all just a pointless exercise in finger pointing and faux outrage (albeit at varying degrees).

No individual fan of any club cares about the good of the game over and above their own interests, as long as we get what we want on our terms and come out of it pretending to be righteous thats all anyone really cares about.

Same goes for everyone else at every level of football.

I agree with your general point that none of us are entirely clean but I think you need to speak for yourself on some other things in there.

Some of us can see the bigger picture & some of us have voted with our feet as well.

• Upvote 1