You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

43 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It makes a mockery of the league. We should have the same ball all season. Changing the ball halfway through the league totally ruins the integrity of the competition and this season's title winners should have a big asterisk next to their name. 

Null and void. 

Unbelievable, the fuckin' ball for chrissake, I couldn't read anymore after it said it'll reflect the intensity of the end of the season, how that happens fuck knows

Why isn't it just white or orange or like the boss red and white continental casey I had as a kid,with fuck all on it? 

Beyond ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

One of the biggest anomalies that. A country so rooted in capitalism and chasing the money has gone to great lengths to ensure a more even spread of wealth and resource distribution in its top tier sports. I suppose not having relegation helps quite a bit though.

Nothing to do with a healthy amount of the top earners in US sport being African American while owners are almost exclusively rich(obviously)and white? 

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It makes a mockery of the league. We should have the same ball all season. Changing the ball halfway through the league totally ruins the integrity of the competition and this season's title winners should have a big asterisk next to their name. 

Null and void. 

Is right

4 hours ago, John102 said:

I liked the Liverpool page on Facebook as it seemed a good place to get the starting 11.

Now, every time Liverpool post anything, the first comment is some lad fro Africa or Asia saying how shit we are and how Liverpool are shit, with some shit pun/put down in garbled English. Im not against foreigners, but these are bad cunts. 

That last sentence made me spit my tea out.

10 hours ago, John102 said:

I liked the Liverpool page on Facebook as it seemed a good place to get the starting 11.

Now, every time Liverpool post anything, the first comment is some lad fro Africa or Asia saying how shit we are and how Liverpool are shit, with some shit pun/put down in garbled English. Im not against foreigners, but these are bad cunts. 

Social Media in being full of cunts shocker.

As it’s Jimmy Greaves birthday here’s his debut goal for West Ham...Shame they don’t still occasionally have pitches like this anymore ....

Used to be great playing on these when you were a kid and coming in caked in shite while your mum went utterly ballistic 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fans. The Internet on the modern football fan. The amount of hate, bile and bullshit surrounding football on even the most mundane topic. I won't talk football with other people anymore in person, it's like talking politics or to a flat earther, it's a no win situation people are just completely blinded. 

I think its more me, the more I get exposed to other people's opinions the less I think of people. I hope the vaccine makes us all sterile and the species disappears with a whimper.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Fans. The Internet on the modern football fan. The amount of hate, bile and bullshit surrounding football on even the most mundane topic. I won't talk football with other people anymore in person, it's like talking politics or to a flat earther, it's a no win situation people are just completely blinded. 

I think its more me, the more I get exposed to other people's opinions the less I think of people. I hope the vaccine makes us all sterile and the species disappears with a whimper.

Hopefully just as Everton are about to lift their first title in 117 years 

On 23/02/2021 at 17:49, Bobby Hundreds said:

It’s like the aunty you always liked as a kid posting racist, Tory, Brexit little Englander shit on a daily basis to the point you start to think actually she’s a cunt. Just one of the reasons for coming off Facebook.

On 20/02/2021 at 10:19, Stickman said:

As it’s Jimmy Greaves birthday here’s his debut goal for West Ham...Shame they don’t still occasionally have pitches like this anymore ....

Used to be great playing on these when you were a kid and coming in caked in shite while your mum went utterly ballistic 

That's right, a good sliding tackle in the mud. There wasn't much that could stop you having a game of footy

Pretty much all of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/08/andrea-agnelli-champions-league-reforms-premier-league

Andrea Agnelli says agreement on 'ideal' new-look Champions League is close

• ‘Swiss system’ would see 36 teams each play 10 group matches
  • Transfer ban between Champions League clubs is discussed

Agreement on a new “ideal” Champions League is imminent, according to the man who represents Europe’s biggest clubs, which may put pressure on the Premier League to reduce its fixture list in future if it is to benefit.

Andrea Agnelli, the chairman of the European Clubs Association, said on Monday he expects a reshaped Champions League to be agreed within weeks. The Juventus president wants an expanded competition to be just the start of wide-ranging reforms at the top of the game that could mean the overall number of domestic games in England is reduced and a ban on transfers between elite sides.

Uefa is expected to ratify plans for an expanded Champions League of 36 teams, with each club playing 10 group matches in a “Swiss system” that would see them ranked in a single league table. This would bring an end to recurring rumours of a breakaway Super League, something Agnelli says he has always been keen to avoid.

“I think we’re very close to my ideal Champions League, I think the Swiss system is beautiful,” he said. “I think it will provide great opportunities for those teams participating in that competition. It will provide the knockouts that are the essence of any competition. It’s very, very close to an ideal Champions League. We’re maybe just a couple of weeks away.

“My attention for quite a long time has been to make sure we find a solution with Uefa. We had fights with Alex [Uefa’s president, Alexander Ceferin] in the autumn months because we wanted to find the balance between continental and domestic competition. It’s [about] having a balanced competitive landscape.”

Agnelli, whose organisation represents 246 clubs across Europe including nine in the Premier League, says he wants the domestic calendar to take up only two thirds of any season. The Premier League have pushed back against the new Champions League proposals due to their effects on the calendar but Agnelli believes it is the larger domestic competitions, such as the English top flight, that will eventually have to compromise.

“If we look back in time the Champions League had four more games than it has today,” Agnelli said. “I think the balance that we are trying to strike is one third international [European competition] and two thirds domestic. We can take a look at the overall calendar, we have countries like England with a maximum number of games at 53, If I’m not mistaken, Germany is 43 and so is Italy.

“We do think that currently for competitive balance purposes 20 teams in leagues are too many. There is an overall element that could actually be worked out altogether in the interests of everyone.”

With the new competition not set to start until 2024, Agnelli would like any restructuring to be made in tandem with wider reform. He wants an end to financial fair play in its current form, with clubs scrutinised on their overall balance sheet rather than annual profit and loss. He also said the ECA had discussed changing the transfer system so Champions League clubs could no longer buy from or sell to each other, instead trading only with lower-ranking clubs.

“No triple-figures transfers between Champions League participating clubs maybe would [mean] focusing instead on champion players in smaller countries allowing us only to buy players there,” Agnelli said. “These are elements we are discussing but certainly cost control will be one of the biggest challenges in terms of reforms going forward.”

Agnelli also stressed that football must think of ways to attract younger viewers in an increasingly crowded marketplace. “We could imagine a subscription for the last 15 minutes of a specific game,” he said. “The attention span of today’s kids and tomorrow’s spenders is completely different to the one I had when I was their age.

“If you take golf, if it’s interesting at all, it’s only the last six holes on the final day. You are not going to watch the whole thing on the TV unless you are a hardcore fan.”

• Upvote 1