You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

2 hours ago, JustTosh said:

I hate using the FFP as an excuse. Sounds like a boy coming home from school with a bleeding nose, complaining how unfair it all was as the boy beating him was two years older. Never mind that, son, only one thing to do: Go up to him again and try to beat him. If you can’t do it take pride in the fact you tried.

Injustice is the name of our planet. FFP doesn’t even reach top 100.

And it's not over. Go to your local bookie and ask for the odds on both MCity and Liverpool to win their remaing 3 matches. I bet you'll get more than 1:1 on that. We might be the one who fails, then again, maynbe maybe it's them.

Fucking post of the year this

2 hours ago, JustTosh said:

I hate using the FFP as an excuse. Sounds like a boy coming home from school with a bleeding nose, complaining how unfair it all was as the boy beating him was two years older. Never mind that, son, only one thing to do: Go up to him again and try to beat him. If you can’t do it take pride in the fact you tried.

Injustice is the name of our planet. FFP doesn’t even reach top 100.

And it's not over. Go to your local bookie and ask for the odds on both MCity and Liverpool to win their remaing 3 matches. I bet you'll get more than 1:1 on that. We might be the one who fails, then again, maynbe maybe it's them.

I agree with this. We are a club that spent 75 million on a centre half and over 50 million on a goalkeeper and have spent hundreds of millions on crap players over the last two decades. If we don't win it it will simply be down to a couple of poor results,probably losing to City and drawing with the bitter bloos. The likes of say Burnley or Bournemouth,who are both having to spend way above what they should just to stay in the PL probably have the biggest right to moan as they and about 14 other teams play to avoid relegation and may as well be in a different country to City,ourselves and United for example. Supporters have allowed football to become this way without doing much to change it. Look at the effect the walkout our fans did against Sunderland and how it has at least kept prices down,even though they are still obscene. Imagine if those walkouts or stay aways happened on a national scale and how they would make the football authorities and their sponsors react if they thought their gravy boat was being upturned? Fans themselves have to take action if they truly want to change the game unless it will continue to carry on as is. Imagine demonstrations outside stadiums and roads around them when matches are being played in half empty stadiums,I bet that wouldn't be allowed to go on for long without some forms of compromises or changes of heart. Fans are now customers and if customers refuse to use their product then the company has to change to survive,so customers change your habits and call their bluff if you truly want change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The shitness for me is that the evidence of Man City completely breaking all the FFP rules is all out there, and yet the authorities show no sign of doing anything about it.

And the overwhelming majority of journalists / pundits never, ever mention it. Martin Keown did, and got told he couldn't!

Shit, I saw something today from Mark Ogden complaining that City aren't getting the credit they deserve because "it's all been about Liverpool".

Honestly, it's fucking mad. I keep using this analogy, but this is like praising Ben Johnson for beating Carl Lewis.

How come nobody ever mentions their rampant, blatant, rule breaking?

7 minutes ago, dave u said:

And the overwhelming majority of journalists / pundits never, ever mention it. Martin Keown did, and got told he couldn't!

Shit, I saw something today from Mark Ogden complaining that City aren't getting the credit they deserve because "it's all been about Liverpool".

Honestly, it's fucking mad. I keep using this analogy, but this is like praising Ben Johnson for beating Carl Lewis.

Haven't they merely been investigated for breaking rules?   At this stage they're allegations and nothing more.  If there is an enquiry in process, it makes sense that Keown has been told to STFU while that is still ongoing.

7 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Haven't they merely been investigated for breaking rules?   At this stage they're allegations and nothing more.  If there is an enquiry in process, it makes sense that Keown has been told to STFU while that is still ongoing.

There's ways of mentioning it though. This isn't the Duckenfield trial.

There's no way journalists have been told "don't mention City's alleged breaches of the rules" for fear of damaging any investigation.

I don't need an investigation to know what they're doing. They never sell out their stadium, they have no worldwide fanbase, yet they're spending way more than anybody else ever has.

The question isn't if they're cheating, it's merely how they're doing it.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The shitness for me is that the evidence of Man City completely breaking all the FFP rules is all out there, and yet the authorities show no sign of doing anything about it.

We've established what it is; we're merely haggling over the shitness.

40 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I agree with this. We are a club that spent 75 million on a centre half and over 50 million on a goalkeeper and have spent hundreds of millions on crap players over the last two decades. If we don't win it it will simply be down to a couple of poor results,probably losing to City and drawing with the bitter bloos. The likes of say Burnley or Bournemouth,who are both having to spend way above what they should just to stay in the PL probably have the biggest right to moan as they and about 14 other teams play to avoid relegation and may as well be in a different country to City,ourselves and United for example. Supporters have allowed football to become this way without doing much to change it. Look at the effect the walkout our fans did against Sunderland and how it has at least kept prices down,even though they are still obscene. Imagine if those walkouts or stay aways happened on a national scale and how they would make the football authorities and their sponsors react if they thought their gravy boat was being upturned? Fans themselves have to take action if they truly want to change the game unless it will continue to carry on as is. Imagine demonstrations outside stadiums and roads around them when matches are being played in half empty stadiums,I bet that wouldn't be allowed to go on for long without some forms of compromises or changes of heart. Fans are now customers and if customers refuse to use their product then the company has to change to survive,so customers change your habits and call their bluff if you truly want change.

Well said, Ulyanov.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dave u said:

There's ways of mentioning it though. This isn't the Duckenfield trial.

There's no way journalists have been told "don't mention City's alleged breaches of the rules" for fear of damaging any investigation.

I don't need an investigation to know what they're doing. They never sell out their stadium, they have no worldwide fanbase, yet they're spending way more than anybody else ever has.

The question isn't if they're cheating, it's merely how they're doing it.

I hear what you're saying but while it's still ongoing it's fair enough that the mainstream media outlets keep it off limits, in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, dave u said:

It's clear why though, City have enough money to bury any newspaper and the likes of Sky or BT are not known for rocking the boat.

A couple of weeks back the journalist that broke the story about the 100k loan by John Delaney to the FAI was interviewed by the second captains podcast. He works for the Irish Times and basically set out how newspapers in general are operating at such tight margins that they can't afford to lose any sort of legal case. With City it wouldn't be about winning or losing, it would be about actually getting your day in court after being flung through hoops for 10 years. UEFA themselves appear to be have scared of by this tactic the first time round. 

The real issue is that until the other clubs actually do something about it and demand action, fuck all is going to get done.

Neither UEFA or the FA will do anything at all against City unless pressure is put on them by clubs who actually have some gravitas.

There were reports a few months back that 12 PL teams had complained to the FA. No idea if that was true or not, but my immediate reaction was "why aren't the other six* complaining too?"

* obviously Everton don't count as they'd be happy for City to burn Goodison to the ground as long as they were ensuring we aren't winning the title.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dave u said:

The real issue is that until the other clubs actually do something about it and demand action, fuck all is going to get done.

Neither UEFA or the FA will do anything at all against City unless pressure is put on them by clubs who actually have some gravitas.

There were reports a few months back that 12 PL teams had complained to the FA. No idea if that was true or not, but my immediate reaction was "why aren't the other six* complaining too?"

* obviously Everton don't count as they'd be happy for City to burn Goodison to the ground as long as they were ensuring we aren't winning the title.

3 of the 6 are probably the promoted teams, Dave with the other 3, the 3 clubs who just finished outside the previous season's relegation places.

To be honest, as you say, it needs the top 6 or so clubs in each of the other major European leagues to complain about them and PSG but with most of them probably hoping for the next big investment to be in their club, that will never happen.

It fucking sucks that we're doing so well to stay just above them with 1 game in hand yet it can still be for nothing if they just take the points in these last games. I'm about done with being as into football as I have been over the years, it's got too stupid now. I think I've already kind of drfited off over the last couple of years anyway.

Didn't watch tonight as the nerves are starting to prevent me from enjoying watching now and it's getting a bit too stressful. If City drop points I'm not sure how I'm going to watch our final games either. Even when we're something like 2 goals ahead with 5 mins left I can't stop thinking that if we let 1 goal in it's back to freaking out, and that thought alone freaks me out. Not good for anxiety at all and it can be exhausting.

If you look at our league though and France, and what's gone on with Barca and Real for years on end, it's just getting fucking stupid and it ceases to be as interesting. Money has fucked the game up so much and if it's ever going to be sorted out there's going to have to be really strong rules to do that. That doesn't seem to be the case right now and who knows if it ever will be.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

It fucking sucks that we're doing so well to stay just above them with 1 game in hand yet it can still be for nothing if they just take the points in these last games. I'm about done with being as into football as I have been over the years, it's got too stupid now. I think I've already kind of drfited off over the last couple of years anyway.

Didn't watch tonight as the nerves are starting to prevent me from enjoying watching now and it's getting a bit too stressful. If City drop points I'm not sure how I'm going to watch our final games either. Even when we're something like 2 goals ahead with 5 mins left I can't stop thinking that if we let 1 goal in it's back to freaking out, and that thought alone freaks me out. Not good for anxiety at all and it can be exhausting.

If you look at our league though and France, and what's gone on with Barca and Real for years on end, it's just getting fucking stupid and it ceases to be as interesting. Money has fucked the game up so much and if it's ever going to be sorted out there's going to have to be really strong rules to do that. That doesn't seem to be the case right now and who knows if it ever will be.

http://www.flashscore.com

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Haha, yeah I use this one : https://www.livescore.com/

If I can't watch I just check that every 10 mins or so while feeling a bit ill. It's still better than watching with the almost full on freakout unless we're 3 goals ahead or something. Rarely drink now and often feel crap for hours after if I do, but if it goes to the last game will probably just watch, drink and deal with it!

• Upvote 1

Absolutely nothing is shit about modern football tonight. Irrespective of anything else, it’s seeing the rebirth of the club into a true powerhouse again after decades.

This manager and this squad obviously deserve to finish it off with silverware, but can’t ask anymore of them then what they’ve given and I’m not letting the oil barons steal any of the enjoyment that’s bringing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Bolton Wanderers v Brentford called off as the Bolton players are striking because their wages haven’t been paid. Sad to see such a long-standing club in this position because of what money has done to the game. On 5 Live yesterday they said the EFL had advanced them £160k from their next payment, just to allow them to pay match day staff for the last couple of games.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/48067603

Bolton's game against Brentford on Saturday has been called off by the English Football League after Bolton's players said they would not play until they receive the wages they are owed.

The match was called off 16 hours before it was scheduled to kick off.

None of the March wages owed to the Wanderers' players have been paid.

"As a result of these disappointing developments, the league has been forced to suspend Saturday's fixture," an EFL statement said.

"The club [Bolton] is now deemed to be guilty of misconduct and will be referred to an Independent Disciplinary Commission.

"The EFL Board will now consider the matter of determining whether the fixture will be played or not."

In a club statement, Bolton said they "would like to apologise for the inconvenience this will cause".

Brentford's squad travelled north from London on Friday in preparation for the Championship game, which was due to be played at the University of Bolton Stadium.

Bolton's relegation to League One was confirmed on 19 April when they lost to Aston Villa.

Players' decision 'not taken lightly'

Earlier on Friday, Wanderers' squad had issued a joint statement, saying the financial situation was "creating mental, emotional and financial burdens for people through no fault of their own".

They added that it was "placing great strain on ourselves and our families".

The players also apologised to supporters for what "may be seen as drastic action" but stressed the decision had "not been taken lightly" and that they had taken the stance "with deep regret".

The Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) said on Friday afternoon that it supported the players' actions, adding they had shown "great patience and loyalty" to the club, but had "reached a point where action is necessary".

"The PFA has been working with the club since the beginning of the season and we have done all we can to resolve this issue, including giving Bolton Wanderers a substantial loan to cover players' salaries in December," the statement added.

Earlier this month, Bolton's players refused to train for 48 hours in support of club staff after March wages went unpaid. Full-time non-playing staff eventually received their March wages after a delay.

On Friday night - before the EFL called the game off - prospective new owner Laurence Bassinihad said he would work to ensure Saturday's fixture went ahead.

He told Sky Sports News that the players' wages would be paid and that he would speak to the EFL in an attempt to find a resolution.