You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Another thing that's grown worse: replays. It started out quite sensibly that, if anything really significant happened, TV would show a replay of it the next time there was a break in play. Now there are so many cameras that it seems that directors are determined to get their money's worth out of them, so even the most banal thing will get multiple replays from multiple angles, and - this is what really drives me crazy - it will get them immediately, regardless of what's actually happening on the pitch. And seeing as the likes of Alisson can make a save, throw the ball half the length of the pitch to Salah or Mane, who will sprint straight at goal, you can miss an entire counter attack in the time it takes for one replay, let alone the three or four they foist on you. 

There was a game we played a few weeks ago - that happened. Becker made a save, we went to the replays, and when they finally cut back to the action, Trent had just taken a corner. I think that's a major reason (along with the inane chatter the likes of Tyler churn out) why watching on TV is so much more stressful than being in the stadium - you miss about a quarter of the action!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, gkmacca said:

Another thing that's grown worse: replays. It started out quite sensibly that, if anything really significant happened, TV would show a replay of it the next time there was a break in play. Now there are so many cameras that it seems that directors are determined to get their money's worth out of them, so even the most banal thing will get multiple replays from multiple angles, and - this is what really drives me crazy - it will get them immediately, regardless of what's actually happening on the pitch. And seeing as the likes of Alisson can make a save, throw the ball half the length of the pitch to Salah or Mane, who will sprint straight at goal, you can miss an entire counter attack in the time it takes for one replay, let alone the three or four they foist on you. 

There was a game we played a few weeks ago - that happened. Becker made a save, we went to the replays, and when they finally cut back to the play, Trent had just taken a corner. I think that's a major reason why watching on TV is so much more stressful than being in the stadium - you miss about a quarter of the action! 

Agreed. It's a fucking joke. The cuts to closeup shots of players who the production team think are about to dribble or cross is fucking disgraceful as well, I want to watch the match, not a fucking one-on-one which probably isn't going to result in anything interesting anyway.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, however, i put sky sports on just then and two lads where playing fifa 19. At first, i was baffled as to why this was on sky sports but it was to get worse.

Apparently its the final and Man Utd vs Chelsea. You can imagine my surprise when it goes to extra time and apparently Son has scored to put Man U ahead. It started to get a bit odd when Son also appeared to be playing for Chelsea. This was not a one off. It transpired that Virgil  also plays for both teams, with De Bruyne also playing for both. Indeed captaining one. I think De Gea and Kante were the only players to remain.

This shit used to be confined to Games Master on CH 4, which usually involved an ex pro and was free. 

What is this shit i am paying for and why has it replaced La Liga and Champions League footy on Sky?

Article on the BBC about how Bolton's players and staff have again gone unpaid this month as the owner again looks to sell the club. One of the interested parties is a former owner of Watford who was banned for 3 years in 2013 from holding a position of authority at a Football League club for financial misconduct and dishonesty. And yet he's in line to take control of a football club again. These fit and proper persons test clearly don't do anything because it's still too easy for shitehawks to get in and fuck clubs up.

Bolton Wanderers: Players and staff are still waiting for March salaries to be paid

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Trumo said:

Article on the BBC about how Bolton's players and staff have again gone unpaid this month as the owner again looks to sell the club. One of the interested parties is a former owner of Watford who was banned for 3 years in 2013 from holding a position of authority at a Football League club for financial misconduct and dishonesty. And yet he's in line to take control of a football club again. These fit and proper persons test clearly don't do anything because it's still too easy for shitehawks to get in and fuck clubs up.

Bolton Wanderers: Players and staff are still waiting for March salaries to be paid

They sat and let Oyston bleed Blackpool dry for donkey's years until the courts did their job for them , so this chancer won't worry them.

On 20/03/2019 at 10:30, gkmacca said:

There was a game we played a few weeks ago - that happened. Becker made a save, we went to the replays, and when they finally cut back to the action, Trent had just taken a corner. I think that's a major reason (along with the inane chatter the likes of Tyler churn out) why watching on TV is so much more stressful than being in the stadium - you miss about a quarter of the action!

The other element to this is the constant use of slow motion so that it is standardised and isn't even alluded to, I think it allows for very unfair critiques of players. The pace the game is played at is one of the main vectors for why errors happen, by slowing the play constantly it gives the indication that players are just always making erroneous decisions in plenty of time rather than a continual stream of snap judgements. Often an incident is never actually replayed again in real time, but this suits commentary and pundits.

1 hour ago, Moctezuma said:

The other element to this is the constant use of slow motion so that it is standardised and isn't even alluded to, I think it allows for very unfair critiques of players. The pace the game is played at is one of the main vectors for why errors happen, by slowing the play constantly it gives the indication that players are just always making erroneous decisions in plenty of time rather than a continual stream of snap judgements. Often an incident is never actually replayed again in real time, but this suits commentary and pundits.

Absolutely agree. It particularly gets me when pundits watch a super slo-mo of a player being tackled, and start projecting all kinds of thoughts and intentions on him that simply wouldn't have been possible in real tie: 'You see that, he's just about to be touched and he's thinking "I'll move my foot ever so slightly to the left..." and then he goes down too easily'. It's ridiculous. They ought to try filming a few people in the office being tripped up, watch it back in slo-mo, then see how many of them fall down in 'weird' or 'unnatural' ways. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get to fuck. 

Benfica's 19-year-old Portuguese midfielder Joao Felix tops a transfer shortlist issued by Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 34, to his club. Two of the Portugal forward's former Real Madrid team-mates - Spain midfielder Isco, 27, and France defender Raphael Varane, 25 - also feature. (Corriere dello Sport, via Mirror)

Alternatively, Ronaldo has approved a £100m bid by the Serie A champions for his compatriot Felix, who has a buy-out clause of 120m euros. (A Bola, via Metro)

5 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Get to fuck. 

Benfica's 19-year-old Portuguese midfielder Joao Felix tops a transfer shortlist issued by Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 34, to his club. Two of the Portugal forward's former Real Madrid team-mates - Spain midfielder Isco, 27, and France defender Raphael Varane, 25 - also feature. (Corriere dello Sport, via Mirror)

Alternatively, Ronaldo has approved a £100m bid by the Serie A champions for his compatriot Felix, who has a buy-out clause of 120m euros. (A Bola, via Metro)

Yeh I read that too.  Made me smile.

Be glad when the prick hangs up his boots. Great player that he is/was doesn't compensate for all the cuntery that surrounds him

In 83-84 season Everton drew at home with Man Utd (our nearest challengers ) in May meaning we could/would win the league the following week with a draw against Notts County.

I can't recall any of this back then "hope we lose so the redshite don't win the league" narrative that is very common with supporters nowadays .

• Upvote 1

I think it's over.  

I hope I'm wrong.

We are a wonderful side.  

I hope we win our next two League games and make it go down to the last day.

We deserve that at the very least.

And if we end up losing it with 97 points, us old cunts can console ourselves emptily with the thought that in the old 2-points-for-a-win days, we'd have won it by a point.

I can curse a couple of draws as losses.

And yet we might end up "invincibles", but for one game.

Oil etc.  

The shitness of modern football.

Perhaps we'll win the European Cup. 

This team deserves something great.

Perhaps there's a miracle somewhere in the League yet.  A hand of God.  Something.  But it would be a miracle I think.

I'll keep hoping.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Caramac said:

It certainly wasn't as prevalent as it is these days thats for sure. Was at Meadow Lane for that game. 0-0 final score, shite game but we got the point we needed.

Went to that myself and it was an horrendously bad game. Massive anti climax but at least we became champions.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, skaro said:

I think it's over.  

I hope I'm wrong.

We are a wonderful side.  

And if we end up losing it with 97 points, us old cunts can console ourselves emptily with the thought that in the old 2-points-for-a-win days, we'd have won it by a point.

Oil etc.  

Perhaps there's a miracle somewhere in the League yet.  A hand of God.  Something.  But it would be a miracle I think.

I'll keep hoping.

I just have a feeling that there will be a significant twist in the remaining games. Whether that is to our benefit or not, I don't have a scooby. 

20 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I've given up. 

Yeah, I think it's done in the league. However shit United are, they're still better than City's other remaining opponents. 

There aren't many better consolations than a Champions League semi final though.

8 hours ago, skaro said:

I think it's over.  

I hope I'm wrong.

We are a wonderful side.  

Oil etc.  

I'll keep hoping.

The shitness for me is that the evidence of Man City completely breaking all the FFP rules is all out there, and yet the authorities show no sign of doing anything about it.

34 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

The shitness for me is that the evidence of Man City completely breaking all the FFP rules is all out there, and yet the authorities show no sign of doing anything about it.

I hate using the FFP as an excuse. Sounds like a boy coming home from school with a bleeding nose, complaining how unfair it all was as the boy beating him was two years older. Never mind that, son, only one thing to do: Go up to him again and try to beat him. If you can’t do it take pride in the fact you tried.

Injustice is the name of our planet. FFP doesn’t even reach top 100.

And it's not over. Go to your local bookie and ask for the odds on both MCity and Liverpool to win their remaing 3 matches. I bet you'll get more than 1:1 on that. We might be the one who fails, then again, maynbe maybe it's them.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JustTosh said:

I hate using the FFP as an excuse. Sounds like a boy coming home from school with a bleeding nose, complaining how unfair it all was as the boy beating him was two years older. Never mind that, son, only one thing to do: Go up to him again and try to beat him. If you can’t do it take pride in the fact you tried.

Injustice is the name of our planet. FFP doesn’t even reach top 100.

And it's not over. Go to your local bookie and ask for the odds on both MCity and Liverpool to win their remaing 3 matches. I bet you'll get more than 1:1 on that. We might be the one who fails, then again, maynbe maybe it's them.

Nah, you’ve just been brainwashed by the system. Cheats prosper, consider yourself lucky to have a job, you won’t need a pension, and the environment will be fucked for your grandkids.

Whatever you do don’t try and get any sort of justice though, as you’ll be seen as a whinging moaner.

• Upvote 1