You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

hows Can getting on over there? His worked out not far off that with his signing on fees didn't it? 

No idea, mate. I watch hardly any foreign footy. The odd half here and there if I’ve got a team in an accumulator. 

What’s the tax rate in Italy? Howie’s post is the first I’ve seen suggesting Ramsey will be on £300k p/w. Everything I read last week said it would be £140k after tax. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

No idea, mate. I watch hardly any foreign footy. The odd half here and there if I’ve got a team in an accumulator. 

What’s the tax rate in Italy? Howie’s post is the first I’ve seen suggesting Ramsey will be on £300k p/w. Everything I read last week said it would be £140k after tax. 

it's 43% according to wiki. but i think they announced figures like that for Can and then shortly after it came out he was on another 80k per week for 2 years as a signing on fee. i suppose sadly though the way fees are, ramsey under contract would cost you 40m .... which over a 5 year contract pays a big slice of those wages. 

• Upvote 1

170k a week after tax

Aaron Ramsey will join Juventus next season on a four-year contract worth £300,000 a week, making him among the best-paid British footballers.

The 28-year-old midfielder signed the paperwork on Sunday and will complete a free transfer from Arsenal after 11 years at the London club. Ramsey was eligible to sign a pre-contract agreement with foreign clubs this month because he is out of contract in the summer. There is believed to be no signing-on fee in his deal but the total value of the contract is about £62 million.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Expected goals, just a further commodification of the game into the realms of statistics and finance. It's part of the reason why I dislike VAR so much 'there's too much money riding on decisions' who gives a fucking shit, can't the GAME (I capitalise to emphasise the fact it is still a game, a piece of entertainment) not just be left unaltered by the needs of those with financial considerations at the top of the pile all of the time.

This.

When they say there's so much money riding on the decision, the folks mostly impacted are already multi-millionaires... 

It's a game of mistakes, the drama & unpredictability is what makes it great. That it's essentially the same game at the top level as it is at the bottom is the great equaliser. It's what has made it the global game. I'm all for raising standards, but not at the expense of creating a different game. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Shitness also comes from the possibility of one of the finalists playing at home! Its happened before of course, with us in '84 but is still shite.

Fair point but it's not a permanent situation. Spurs have done the decent thing anyway and waved the white flag in both domestic cups this time around.

I object to the FA cup semis being at Wembley.  Just takes away from the final .

People moan about the FA cup being 2nd rate these days but a lot of its glamour has been reduced by the FA itself not only by having the Wembley semis but by limiting replays and penalty shoot-outs . Perhaps we should have just one cup comp involving the PL clubs

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2019 at 12:55 PM, magicrat said:

Fair point but it's not a permanent situation. Spurs have done the decent thing anyway and waved the white flag in both domestic cups this time around.

I object to the FA cup semis being at Wembley.  Just takes away from the final .

People moan about the FA cup being 2nd rate these days but a lot of its glamour has been reduced by the FA itself not only by having the Wembley semis but by limiting replays and penalty shoot-outs . Perhaps we should have just one cup comp involving the PL clubs

The shitty half five kick off does it no favours either.

53 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Teams not trying to win the fucker has put the biggest dampener on it. 

I think it's fair enough when teams chasing the title don't take the cup seriously, and I can even understand those in a relegation scrap also resting players for the cups.

What blows my mind is the number of mid table sides who make loads of changes for the cup. The likes of Everton, Leicester, Watford, West Ham etc

They should be going balls out to try and win it.

• Upvote 3

I'm sure its already been mentioned on here (possible even by me) but I need to vent about it. This fucking holding your hand over your mouth when talking to each other on the pitch. I'm not talking about a quick word in the ear before a corner that you don't want the opposition to hear, I'm taking about every fucking time they speak. Normally walking off at half or full time. Often not even to one of their own teammates. What are you slags saying to each other? Arranging a cock wrestle back in the hotel? I bet it fucking is you over-paid thick sly twats. Ive even seen managers do it. The game has gone to shit. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm sure its already been mentioned on here (possible even by me) but I need to vent about it. This fucking holding your hand over your mouth when talking to each other on the pitch. I'm not talking about a quick word in the ear before a corner that you don't want the opposition to hear, I'm taking about every fucking time they speak. Normally walking off at half or full time. Often not even to one of their own teammates. What are you slags saying to each other? Arranging a cock wrestle back in the hotel? I bet it fucking is you over-paid thick sly twats. Ive even seen managers do it. The game has gone to shit. 

Politically correctness is that bad days it's probably mandatory as literally anything they say could be misconstrued. 

And their witty, new-found wealthy supporters have repeatedly sung 'Sign On' and 'You'll Never Win Fuck All' at our recent meetings. They're from Wolverhampton. Yes, you heard it right, WolverFUCKINGhampton.

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/lonely-planet-brands-wolverhampton-fifth-3935062

• Upvote 2