You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

The media regularly reporting comments from certain gobshite club chairmen/presidents who really shouldn't be given the platform. I'm talking about the likes of Aulas at Lyon, De Laurentiis at Napoli, Gold at West Ham and Hoeness at Bayern.

The media regularly reporting comments from certain gobshite club chairmen/presidents who really shouldn't be given the platform. I'm talking about the likes of Aulas at Lyon, De Laurentiis at Napoli, Gold at West Ham and Hoeness at Bayern.

No surprise given that all concerned are wealthy right wing pricks.

Threads dedicated to goalkeeping coaches and people preferring keeping an extra £150k per week in the club bank account rather than having a potential match winner sitting on the bench.

Perhaps these people would prefer having a match winner on the bench with that 150k a week.

Perhaps these people would prefer having a match winner on the bench with that 150k a week.

Who's the world class match winner happy to sit on the bench while our front three rip things up? 

I've all but given up on Sturridge, but Shaqiri is a good improvement on where we were last season.

Who's the world class match winner happy to sit on the bench while our front three rip things up? 

I've all but given up on Sturridge, but Shaqiri is a good improvement on where we were last season.

Plenty of other clubs manage it.  We could even sign one of the numerous players around the world who can play other positions, a Fekir with good knees.  There's plenty of minutes to go around when we're in four comps, just look at how much time we gave Solanke, Ings and Sturridge last season, knowing full well they'd offer fuck all.  We don't need to run three good players into the ground and have shit on the bench every week, even if it has been that way for some time.

Every single match thread for years now has been met with groans of state of that bench and tbh, it's going to continue next year too, unless Shaqiri suddenly turns into a better footballer than he's looked since his Basle days.   We'll no doubt sign an expensive forward the minute Sturridge is off the books.

• Upvote 1

Plenty of other clubs manage it. We could even sign one of the numerous players around the world who can play other positions, a Fekir with good knees. There's plenty of minutes to go around when we're in four comps, just look at how much time we gave Solanke, Ings and Sturridge last season, knowing full well they'd offer fuck all. We don't need to run three good players into the ground and have shit on the bench every week, even if it has been that way for some time.

Every single match thread for years now has been met with groans of state of that bench and tbh, it's going to continue next year too, unless Shaqiri suddenly turns into a better footballer than he's looked since his Basle days. We'll no doubt sign an expensive forward the minute Sturridge is off the books.

Agree with all of that.

Agree with all of that.

Just to clarify there too, I'm sure as fuck not complaining about one not coming in this summer cause we've spent a fortune on quality and will improve again no doubt.   Keep that going every summer and the squad will get there with time and patience.

Unless we manage to shift quite a few players in the next few weeks, I don't really think we can expect much more this summer, it's been all I could ask for.  Still slightly annoying knowing full well, squad depth will bite us in the arse again, like it's done the last two years.

We'll get there under Klopp if this type of backing keeps up.   Big IF though, one shallow doesn't make a summer.

Just to clarify there too, I'm sure as fuck not complaining about one not coming in this summer cause we've spent a fortune on quality and will improve again no doubt. Keep that going every summer and the squad will get there with time and patience.

Unless we manage to shift quite a few players in the next few weeks, I don't really think we can expect much more this summer, it's been all I could ask for. Still slightly annoying knowing full well, squad depth will bite us in the arse again, like it's done the last two years.

We'll get there under Klopp if this type of backing keeps up. Big IF though, one shallow doesn't make a summer.

There’s time to piss about and be a pussy and there’s time to act.

We’ve got the keeper hopefully sorted, we’ve brought in VVD, we’ve finally bought a fucking DM and we have Keita. The front 3 are top class and speak for themselves.

If we don’t go all out to win the league soon how long do you think it’ll be before we start loosing players and we’re back to trying to replace our best players and playing catch up.

We shouldn’t be making much money (relatively) from sales from now on as we don’t want to allow any of our best players to leave.

So the owners have to stump up the money.

There’s time to piss about and be a pussy and there’s time to act.

We’ve got the keeper hopefully sorted, we’ve brought in VVD, we’ve finally bought a fucking DM and we have Keita. The front 3 are top class and speak for themselves.

If we don’t go all out to win the league soon how long do you think it’ll be before we start loosing players and we’re back to trying to replace our best players and playing catch up.

We shouldn’t be making much money (relatively) from sales from now on as we don’t want to allow any of our best players to leave.

So the owners have to stump up the money.

I'd hope most of these players are smart enough to realise they look as good as they do cause of one man, none of that front three replicate their form elsewhere.

Probably giving them too much credit tbf.

Do people forget we had Owen, Fowler, Heskey and Limanen all in the same squad?

Litmanen (criminally) and Fowler got little enough of a look-in when all four were there, both leaving a while after. Was Anelka also a fifth for part of that time?

I'd hope most of these players are smart enough to realise they look as good as they do cause of one man, none of that front three replicate their form elsewhere.

Probably giving them too much credit tbf.

You're giving Jordan Henderson a bit too much credit there.

• Upvote 1

Threads dedicated to goalkeeping coaches and people preferring keeping an extra £150k per week in the club bank account rather than having a potential match winner sitting on the bench.

is that the same match winner who whilst sat on the bench would get a splinter in his arse and be out for 4 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Football socks are increasingly becoming the most useless bit of kit on a football pitch. Some players need tape to keep their shinpads up. Some players need tape to stop their socks from sliding down. Some players roll their socks above their knees to act as knee supports. Some players cut the feet off their socks and wear tennis socks because they provide better grip inside the boot. Some players cut holes in the back of their socks to reduce the tension on their calves and minimise muscle injuries.