You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Commercial income for Bundesliga clubs generally makes up the greatest percentage of their income.Over here, it's the TV deal. There is a lot to admire about how German football is run, and they gear pretty much everything towards making sure the national team takes priority with both player availability and mentality. That said, it's still very much Bayern versus the rest domestically.

What Bayern have always done is made sure that key former players still have a hands-on role at the club, and not just some sort of ambassadorial role. They've also made sure that there is a wealth of expertise in the boardroom for both the business and playing sides. I suppose it helps that, unlike the UK, German is still an industrial heavyweight.

I follow Linda Pizzutti on Twitter (because Boston is too far to stalk her in person). Every time she tweets anything- regardless of whether it's about football- she gets nobheads from all over the world (the kind of cunts who have profiles declaring their support of Zamalek, Real Madrid and Liverpool) giving her dog's abuse and telling her to spunk hundreds of millions on whichever player is in this week's headlines, usually signed off with #fsgout.

Hmmm.

I think the fact that you follow someone on social media, because she's the wife of a billionaire who is the head of a hedge fund that owns the club and uses her as a glorified mascot to help provide PR cover to the fact that he and his absentee friends are overseeing the worst decade -

in terms of trophy - this club has had since the 1950s is a better example of The shitness of modern football.

• Upvote 1

Neymar's birthday party.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-neymars-lavish-birthday-party-11977773

How can anyone look at this and not want to burn capitalism to the ground?

Capitalism sucks. It's just that all the other systems that have ever been tried by any community in history were so much worse (to change up the old Churchill quote).

Look at how largely irrelevant its become since the spineless cunts at the fa allowed their competition to be treated like shite. Huddersfield play United and Huddersfield don't really care because a relegation fight is more important(financially,of course) and United have a CL match a few days later so they get a bit of a free ride when it could have been an old fashioned cup upset. The only way the FA Cup becomes relevant is if it carries a CL place and they fuck finishing 4th to qualify off. I'd love that but it won't happen as winners don't need to be winners any more. The shitness of modern football strikes again.

Imagine if they did a similar thing to what they do with the champions league, winner of the FA Cup gets an automatic qualification to the Premier league, at the expense of whoever finishes 17th.

Hmmm.

I think the fact that you follow someone on social media, because she's the wife of a billionaire who is the head of a hedge fund that owns the club and uses her as a glorified mascot to help provide PR cover to the fact that he and his absentee friends are overseeing the worst decade -

in terms of trophy - this club has had since the 1950s is a better example of The shitness of modern football.

You're missing the point that I've met her and she's fit.
  • Upvote 1

LFC are auctioning off artefacts from the Main Stand & I originally thought I had heard that they were giving the money to the Ex-Players Association but now I note they will make ' a donation ' Hmmm.

To be fair the club announcement when first made said some money would go towards the ex players association not all of it.

Anyways, just got a mail from the club saying the season ticket renewal window will open in March to 22 May. It gets earlier every year.

• Upvote 1

To be fair the club announcement when first made said some money would go towards the ex players association not all of it.

Anyways, just got a mail from the club saying the season ticket renewal window will open in March to 22 May. It gets earlier every year.

22nd May? Fucking hell will this season even be finished?

Brazilian cryarse footballers.

Neymar gets injured? Crying. Gabriel Jesus gets injured? Crying. Coutinho doesn't get the move he wants in August? Crying. Robinho begging to stay at Real Madrid and being told they're selling him even after he tried getting them to bump his salary or sell him? Crying. Teammates at one of Spain's big two being told their fellow Brazilian international is being denied a transfer to their club? Cry about it to the Brazilian and Spanish media, and post incendiary shit about the player's club on social media.

Their fans are no better. They all went into a collective emotional meltdown when Neymar got injured at the last World Cup, and their team shit down their own leg in the first game without him, getting spanked 7-1 by the Germans. It's like this mentality has become ingrained in their culture. If things aren't going your way, become a hysterical fanny.

So far it seems as though Firmino is cut from a different cloth, and I hope that remains the case and he wants to remain here. However, hanging around all those cryarses when he goes away with his national team could begin to turn his head too. There's only so much of it you can take.

It is very strange. A mate of mine is friends with a Brazilian lad who supports Flamengo and decided to pay him a visit when the World Cup was held there four years ago. I caught up with him when he came home and asked if he was out there for the 7-1 defeat against Germany and he shook his head and puffed out his cheeks, exclaiming that he was glad he missed that. It turns out he flew home a few days after the beat Colombia in the Quarters, in the game Neymar injured his back. He said the following day was incredibly weird; more like a funeral atmosphere, as if a revered public figure had died. He said people were in bits at the injury, the newspapers had black back pages; all very odd and disconcerting. I could understand concern that your best player would be out of the Semis, but how would that temper the public joy at being in the last four and having the chance to lift the World Cup on home soil?

It's a very strange mentality. From afar, I can't recall this always being the case with the Brazilians either. It seems to be a fairly recent thing, because I certainly don't remember it being the case even a decade ago.

This is a great thread on Doncaster Rovers - not so much 'modern football is shit' but, more football could always be shit. 

https://twitter.com/vivarovers/status/968267981850636288

There's loads of tales like that from the lower leagues, like Chester City and Darlington. I don't know what it is about teams in the lower leagues that attracts such investors like flies on shit.