You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

It's getting harder and harder to justify renewing my season ticket each season.

A lot of games these days are just teams sitting back and asking us to break them down, then people wonder why the atmosphere suffers. Look at the Leicester game, the city game and the Everton FA Cup game, they were exciting and had the crowd up on their feet. I like Klopp but when he's moaning at us does he know we're paying £50 a pop (and all the other rip off expenses) to sit there and watch crap, utter crap. It's not all of our fault, the reason most teams sit back the way they do is because it's so hard to deal with it. Nobody gives a shit though, city can spunk £500m on trying to deal with it because money is no object to them.

It's supposed to be an entertainment apparently, an escape from the hum drum of life. It's not though, it's as annoying as most other things these days and nobody gives a shit about the fans that go to the match.

The money that has been thrown into the game from TV has filtered into players and agents pockets, it hasn't helped anyone else as player prices and wages have gone up so much to absorb it. They could have reduced ticket prices to £10 a ticket and still have made a shit load of cash but why would they.

The rot started to set in when Sky took over, then Chelsea and their cash, now Citeh who are the player that cheats at Monopoly. First isn't something you can aim for nowadays, top four is the new first.

I haven't got the stomach for another load of protests, it's not just our owners, it's everything about football and how do you protest that? I'll tell you, you walk away. That money will be better spent on almost anything else than sitting there freezing watching multi millionaires flouncing around and falling on the floor when they get a hint of a breeze.

Last night I'm sitting there watching us on BT Sport, this time away and once again a shithouse team intent on not playing football but trying to strangle the game, it's like being at Anfield without the cold and shit PA system. I could have just opened my window, thrown £50 outside, charged myself £3 for a cup of hot water with white powder floating in it and then sat in my car for an hour with the engine running afterwards while throwing another £10 out of the car window.

I could list a shit load of things that football could do in order to try to make football great again, I'd be wasting my time. As long as the cash flows nothing will change.

I'm going to see if any of the kids want my season ticket, if not I'm handing it back. I'm done and I'll check the results on my phone. I care not a shit anymore, I don't need to hand it over for a season or two, I basically don't give a fuck. Are we signing anyone else, who cares, is this or that person fit to play, who gives a shit. What's the fucking point?

Word.

Pretty much exactly sums up the way I feel over the last few years. The title push season put the feelings on hold as I thought I might see the one thing I’ve been waiting for all these years and the atmosphere at those games on the run in was bouncing and the football with Suarez was sensational and exciting, but it was only a temporary pause.

I’m even going to change from mobile mode to desktop mode so I can rep you.

It all really does suck the life out of you....hard yo argue with any of that above....BUT it is a bug that is inside you and no matter how much it narks, how much tv and money and shithouse agents, players owners etc spoil it all the reason we get angry/upset etc is because we love LFC as an institution that has been a part of our lives since we were running around pretending to be Dalglish, Rush, etc.

It is a drug, but it is also in our DNA and hate it as much as we often do we also love it...posts like the cracker above and all the rucks on here are born out of that frustration but also that love.

• Upvote 2

It's getting harder and harder to justify renewing my season ticket each season.

A lot of games these days are just teams sitting back and asking us to break them down, then people wonder why the atmosphere suffers. Look at the Leicester game, the city game and the Everton FA Cup game, they were exciting and had the crowd up on their feet. I like Klopp but when he's moaning at us does he know we're paying £50 a pop (and all the other rip off expenses) to sit there and watch crap, utter crap. It's not all of our fault, the reason most teams sit back the way they do is because it's so hard to deal with it. Nobody gives a shit though, city can spunk £500m on trying to deal with it because money is no object to them.

It's supposed to be an entertainment apparently, an escape from the hum drum of life. It's not though, it's as annoying as most other things these days and nobody gives a shit about the fans that go to the match.

The money that has been thrown into the game from TV has filtered into players and agents pockets, it hasn't helped anyone else as player prices and wages have gone up so much to absorb it. They could have reduced ticket prices to £10 a ticket and still have made a shit load of cash but why would they.

The rot started to set in when Sky took over, then Chelsea and their cash, now Citeh who are the player that cheats at Monopoly. First isn't something you can aim for nowadays, top four is the new first.

I haven't got the stomach for another load of protests, it's not just our owners, it's everything about football and how do you protest that? I'll tell you, you walk away. That money will be better spent on almost anything else than sitting there freezing watching multi millionaires flouncing around and falling on the floor when they get a hint of a breeze.

Last night I'm sitting there watching us on BT Sport, this time away and once again a shithouse team intent on not playing football but trying to strangle the game, it's like being at Anfield without the cold and shit PA system. I could have just opened my window, thrown £50 outside, charged myself £3 for a cup of hot water with white powder floating in it and then sat in my car for an hour with the engine running afterwards while throwing another £10 out of the car window.

I could list a shit load of things that football could do in order to try to make football great again, I'd be wasting my time. As long as the cash flows nothing will change.

I'm going to see if any of the kids want my season ticket, if not I'm handing it back. I'm done and I'll check the results on my phone. I care not a shit anymore, I don't need to hand it over for a season or two, I basically don't give a fuck. Are we signing anyone else, who cares, is this or that person fit to play, who gives a shit. What's the fucking point?

Repped. The FlashScore app is excellent.

• Upvote 3

It all really does suck the life out of you....hard yo argue with any of that above....BUT it is a bug that is inside you and no matter how much it narks, how much tv and money and shithouse agents, players owners etc spoil it all the reason we get angry/upset etc is because we love LFC as an institution that has been a part of our lives since we were running around pretending to be Dalglish, Rush, etc.

It is a drug, but it is also in our DNA and hate it as much as we often do we also love it...posts like the cracker above and all the rucks on here are born out of that frustration but also that love.

I used to feel like this, but found walking away easier than I ever imagined it would be.

• Upvote 1

Members of a footballer's 'entourage' (that they actually have an 'entourage' is in itself another example of the shitness of modern football) telling the media that the player is "sad" or "depressed" or "angry" because his club have "ignored the player's rights" and denied the player a transfer. The media are only too happy to report all the shit-stirring because it's perfect for clickbait and betting odds.

• Upvote 1

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-city-defence-spending-countries-laporte/

Manchester City’s annual defence spending now exceeds that of 52 actual countries

Aymeric Laporte has joined Manchester City in a club record deal worth £57m ($80.5m), bringing the club’s annual spending on defence to £203.3m ($287.3m) – and that’s just on transfer fees, not wages, or agents.

Manager Pep Guardiola has invested heavily in his defence over the past year, with Laporte joining Benjamin Mendy (£49.3m), Kyle Walker (£45m) and Danilo (£26.5m) as well as goalkeeper Ederson (£34.9) at the back.

Laporte’s signing means City have spent an extra $80.6m on defence this January, on top of the $206.7m they spent in the summer, putting their defence budget above the annual military budgets of 52 actual countries.

• Upvote 2

I used to feel like this, but found walking away easier than I ever imagined it would be.

Same for me other than the fact I still watch most of out matches on streams, although, I do find myself occasionally even forgetting that we are playing. 

The club actually being representative of the fans or even remotely giving a fuck about the fans is long gone and unless the bubble bursts big time that isn't going to change.

Once you accept and understand that it's a piece of piss to walk away.

The club will never see another penny from me again. Partially because I see the above and partially because when I complained about issues with fan cards and getting on for tickets they replied to basically tell me if I didn't like it to fuck off. 

Same for me other than the fact I still watch most of out matches on streams, although, I do find myself occasionally even forgetting that we are playing.

The club actually being representative of the fans or even remotely giving a fuck about the fans is long gone and unless the bubble bursts big time that isn't going to change.

Once you accept and understand that it's a piece of piss to walk away.

The club will never see another penny from me again. Partially because I see the above and partially because when I complained about issues with fan cards and getting on for tickets they replied to basically tell me if I didn't like it to fuck off.

Tell us more about the last part - if you don't mind...

I've posted about it on here before. 

I couldn't even log on to try and get tickets, so I sent an e-mail complaining about the fact you essentially pay money for the opportunity to enter a lottery to get online and buy tickets.

The response I got was this

Dear Chris

Thanks for contacting Liverpool Football Club

I have checked on the system with the details you have provided and can see that you purchased a membership on 03.07.11 if you no longer want the memebrship and would like a refund then you will need to return the membership pack to the following address with a letter requesting this:

PSC
Units 4 & 5 Lumina Business Park 
Martindale Road 
Bromborough 
Wirral
CH62 3PT 

Please feel free to contact us again if you have any further enquiries.

Thanks for your continued support

Kind Regards

I've posted about it on here before.

I couldn't even log on to try and get tickets, so I sent an e-mail complaining about the fact you essentially pay money for the opportunity to enter a lottery to get online and buy tickets.

The response I got was this

Cunts.

Did they not answer the points in your actual complaint at all?

Not that I'm siding with the club, but the exact wording of the initial complaint might be different to what's been described in this thread.

Think what you want, if you want to assume I'm a liar then have at it.

I know what I sent and that was the reply I got.

Or you can trawl the MF as it was all posted on there at the time as a load of other people had issues, saying as I'm so fucking unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

Whoa, calm the fuck down man. I never called, nor am I calling you, a liar. All I suggested was that it's not immediately obvious what your grievance was based on the reply of theirs you posted. If indeed you told them exactly what you've told us, then the club's reply is definitely fobbing you off. In that instance, I wouldn't blame you for being angry with them.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/289209-historic-liverpool-fc-auction-to-take-place-at-anfield

FSG wringing more cash out of us - gotta admit their on the ball with the commercial game, pity it doesn't extend to fucking buying players.

Only a 'portion' going to the former players association/charity, the rest for the gold handles on the yacht's bogs.

Think what you want, if you want to assume I'm a liar then have at it.

I know what I sent and that was the reply I got.

Or you can trawl the MF as it was all posted on there at the time as a load of other people had issues, saying as I'm so fucking unbelievable.

giphy.gif

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/289209-historic-liverpool-fc-auction-to-take-place-at-anfield

FSG wringing more cash out of us - gotta admit their on the ball with the commercial game, pity it doesn't extend to fucking buying players.

Only a 'portion' going to the former players association/charity, the rest for the gold handles on the yacht's bogs.

6. The Ciudad de Marbella Trophy, made in Cordoba, a silver-plated trophy awarded to Liverpool Football Club for coming second in the pre-season mini tournament played in Marbella 13-15 August 1982, other competing teams comprising CD Malaga, Real Betis, Albacete Balompie and Bayer 04.

Hahaha!