You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

went past the titantic hotel last yesterday on the way to work about 9 in the morning yesterday and there was about 100 whoppers all waiting, presumably for the players to walk past them and get on the coach.

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

went past the titantic hotel last yesterday on the way to work about 9 in the morning yesterday and there was about 100 whoppers all waiting, presumably for the players to walk past them and get on the coach.

It's a bit embarrassing isn't it. The Hollywood-isation of modern football is sickening. It wouldn't be so bad if it was isolated to the pro game but the ridiculous idea that little Jack or Johnny can be the next Messi is killing the game at the grassroots and recreational level while hoovering up all the funds.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, No2 said:

Pausing 15 minutes into a game for Ramadam. How about not fucking with kick off times and let these players refuel like they normally would?

Every game would need to kick off after sunset during Ramadan month to avoid pausing the game specifically, which is simply not feasible, partly because transport and policing is a factor at any kick-off time, never mind for late games, and also because the actual sunset time can fluctuate meaning setting a match date and time weeks/months in advance is very tricky.

I actually think the drinks break to allow those players observing Ramadan in particular to break their fast is a positive move, given that they are already at a disadvantage prior to games and training by not being able to fuel and refuel in a way that suits their professional preparation as well as their religious beliefs. From our squad, other than Mo I'm not sure who else follows Islam. Probably Ibou and that's about it. Mo was very off-key in the second half against Sheffield United and I think it can partially be explained by the impact fasting has on his preparations to be at his best.

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Every game would need to kick off after sunset during Ramadan month to avoid pausing the game specifically, which is simply not feasible, partly because transport and policing is a factor at any kick-off time, never mind for late games, and also because the actual sunset time can fluctuate meaning setting a match date and time weeks/months in advance is very tricky.

I actually think the drinks break to allow those players observing Ramadan in particular to break their fast is a positive move, given that they are already at a disadvantage prior to games and training by not being able to fuel and refuel in a way that suits their professional preparation as well as their religious beliefs. From our squad, other than Mo I'm not sure who else follows Islam. Probably Ibou and that's about it. Mo was very off-key in the second half against Sheffield United and I think it can partially be explained by the impact fasting has on his preparations to be at his best.

I'm not talking about every match, specifically I'm referring to games they have brought the kick off forward on only to stop 15 minutes in. Fuck that shit.

35 minutes ago, Trumo said:

One could argue that it's their choice to fast and aren't forced to starve themselves?

9 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's a bit embarrassing isn't it. The Hollywood-isation of modern football is sickening. It wouldn't be so bad if it was isolated to the pro game but the ridiculous idea that little Jack or Johnny can be the next Messi is killing the game at the grassroots and recreational level while hoovering up all the funds.

Beyond cringe 

Grown men aswell 

14 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

What a load of shite. So Middle East autocracies will still be given the nod of they want to buy a club as we can’t risk our trade selling them fighter jets and various other weapons. 

Well they've sold off our utilities and infrastructure to foreign state-owned companies to their own countries' benefit, so this looks about right.

16 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I was watching the Arsenal highlights and Martinelli started doing the whipping up the crowd thing 6 minutes into the game.

They do it all the time. It's part of the reason I think they'll end up with fuck all. They are way too hyped up and this really shows it head when they are desperate. Brentford they started crying and diving, last night the same. Doesn't help when you've got some demented lego man windmilling his arms on the touchline.

17 minutes ago, aws said:

They should give a side drawn against a Prem team the home draw and all gate receipts. 

Surely for finances they'd be better going to tbe bigger stadium and getting tbe gate receipts 

I've got a crazy idea to make fixture pile up less a issue. Stop having international breaks in Sep/Oct/Nov and March

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

FA Cup replays being scrapped altogether. One less chance for small clubs to make some money.

Yes.

24 minutes ago, aws said:

They should give a side drawn against a Prem team the home draw and all gate receipts. 

Yes.

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I've got a crazy idea to make fixture pile up less an issue. Stop having international breaks in Sep/Oct/Nov and March

And yes.

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Surely for finances they'd be better going to tbe bigger stadium and getting tbe gate receipts 

I've got a crazy idea to make fixture pile up less an issue. Stop having international breaks in Sep/Oct/Nov and March

They would but the whole point of the FA Cup should be about upsets and excitement.  We could just let the Prem sides buy their way through to the next round I suppose.  

Agree completely about the useless international breaks.