You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

One of the silliest aspects of the furore over the Super League plans was the twee depiction of masses of decent, down-to-earth fans of smaller clubs, when the reality is that nearly all of them have just the same, or in some cases even worse, monstrous egomania that's merely largely dormant.

I had the misfortune of being in London yesterday, and Sunderland fans were everywhere, being massive tits and generally trying to goad everyone they met into a fight. You could tell that lots of them weren't at all sure why they were doing it, but they knew it was what they should be doing, so they did it. They've been risibly inconsequential for years (it was amusing to hear their presence sparking puzzled discussions: 'Are they Southampton? No, I can't think who it is, maybe it's an away strip...') and yet they can't wait to start reviving their massive arsedom again. Christ knows how bad the Geordies will be in the next few years.

That's one of the features of modern football shiteness - the inability of most clubs' fans to simply obsess about their own team and ignore the rest. Everton are merely an egregious example of a general malaise.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I had the misfortune of being in London yesterday, and Sunderland fans were everywhere, being massive tits and generally trying to goad everyone they met into a fight. You could tell that lots of them weren't at all sure why they were doing it, but they knew it was what they should be doing, so they did it.

I saw a few stragglers congregating near Trafalgar Square from my seat on the bus this morning. Reminded me of George A. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead and the zombies being drawn back to the mall.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

The Community Shield taking place:

i) In July

ii) In Leicester

A double whammy of shitness.

I don't get it. Why not play it at Old Trafford if Wembley's not available, or if somewhere more 'neutral' is needed with a decent capacity, then the Spurs or Arsenal stadiums?

3 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Villa Park? Cardiff? Surely somewhere more suitable must have been available. No, let’s go for the 32,000 capacity stadium…

Newcastle or even Sunderland too. I'm assuming the clubs will end up with under 10K tickets each for this?

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, A_S said:

A kick-in would be treated more like a free kick, ie a lot of time deliberating over the ball. It'd waste even more fucking time! 

This is going to be tested in the Dutch second division in 2023. Other rules include a guaranteed minimum time played of 2 x 30 minutes. This is apparently slightly higher than a usual match so no time wasting. 

There's also stuff like a 5 minute penalty after a yellow card, dribbling allowed from a free kick and infinite substitutes. 

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

This is going to be tested in the Dutch second division in 2023. Other rules include a guaranteed minimum time played of 2 x 30 minutes. This is apparently slightly higher than a usual match so no time wasting. 

There's also stuff like a 5 minute penalty after a yellow card, dribbling allowed from a free kick and infinite substitutes. 

Why don't they just cut down on time wasting?

Kick-ins would be a needless addition to the rules. I would add a rule for throw-ins instead where the nearest player for the team whose throw-in it is has to take it. Especially if they are not going to stop the clock when the ball goes out of play.

Infinite subs is a waste of time, as is dribbling from a free kick.

10 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Wenger has turned into a right prick since he moved to FIFA. 

He always was, it's just he was managing the only team to compete with the red mancs so you didn't see it as clearly. 

City Football Group on the verge of adding an 11th club, Italian Serie B team, Palermo, to their list.

Makes you wonder whether UEFA and the national league will finally wake up to this shit when all the European teams in city's group and in other Confederations, start playing each other in their relevant club competitions.

FIFA should be outlawing this shit.

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

City Football Group on the verge of adding an 11th club, Italian Serie B team, Palermo, to their list.

Makes you wonder whether UEFA and the national league will finally wake up to this shit when all the European teams in city's group and in other Confederations, start playing each other in their relevant club competitions.

FIFA should be outlawing this shit.

Dont hold your breath.

3 hours ago, cloggypop said:

As soon as I read that article I knew it would have to be in this thread.  The lack of awareness of how this sounds is incredible:  Pogba says: “They’re bluffing. How can you tell a player you absolutely want him and offer him nothing? Never seen that.”