You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

4 hours ago, Baltar said:

Is it really necessary to have a token bird on every football show? Even on the BBC full time show, you got 2 female presenters. Just seems so forced and frankly, out of place.

What if the "token bird" is more knowledgeable and coherent than a lot of the male pundits?

Imagine taking a look at the shitshow of almost every aspect on the telly and thinking "you know what I hate? Birds on the telly!"

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What if the "token bird" is more knowledgeable and coherent than a lot of the male pundits?

Imagine taking a look at the shitshow of almost every aspect on the telly and thinking "you know what I hate? Birds on the telly!"

From my limited watching time it seems they aren't any better than the clowns they already have. I'd rather they binned them all regardless of gender but it wont happen.

14 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

To clarify, I don't mind them as presenters, it's more of the punditry that's the issue. I expect the experts that are babbling on to have at least played the game at the level they're commenting on. That's never going to be the case with female pundits.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not saying she is, but why wouldn't you consider her as one, given your general opinion on the subject? 

It wouldn't get more token than a woman who is the daughter of an influential person.

Because she's not token, and she's not a pundit.

She's a presenter. I never had a problem with Gabby Yorath or a whole host of other female presenters.

I am not interested in anything any of the female pundits they've put on have to say, and that's open to change at any time.

It's the same for the majority of the men, but at least they're men I've watched play at highest level.

That's surely the minimum requirement if you have nothing insightful to say.

I have a problem with Richards and Jenas too, because they offer nothing more than Keane, Souness, Shearer, Wright, Carragher, Neville, Barnes and loads of other players who have actually won things and played regulartly at every level and on every stage.

If insightful, I couldn't give a toss what gender, breed or sexuality you are or what planet your from. Let's hear it.

There are loads of pundits/commentators I despise number one being Alison Mitchell on Test Match Special and on the telly too. Interviewing players like their her team mates “ Broady, Jimmy, Stoaksey” oh fuck off.

Any other commentater, “ keeping a disciplined line here Stoakes making the batsmen play and looking for a mistake “

Mitchell “ yeah Stoaksey is looking for a mistake from the batsman by keeping a good line”

Fuck off! 

• Upvote 1

In truth, I tend to swerve most of them, except the post-match analysis on MOTD, occasional bits of Soccer Saturday and the co-commentators on a live match. I think, for the most part, they're more or less equally capable of stringing a sentence together and saying things like "he needs to hit the space behind the defenders". I don't think a person's gender or even their playing experience is a good indicator of how well or badly they can do that.

19 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

In truth, I tend to swerve most of them, except the post-match analysis on MOTD, occasional bits of Soccer Saturday and the co-commentators on a live match. I think, for the most part, they're more or less equally capable of stringing a sentence together and saying things like "he needs to hit the space behind the defenders". I don't think a person's gender or even their playing experience is a good indicator of how well or badly they can do that.

Most in here could do it probably, boils my piss how thick some of them are on the telly. Merson, Richards, Cole, Genius/ Jenas and a load of others who were totally crap players too.

I'm not arsed about what gender the pundits/co-commentators are or what level they played the game at. What I find annoying is when they resort to the every-pass/tackle/block/save/shot-must-hit-the-mark standard of opinion. Even the greatest sides ever didn't get everything 100% right.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I'm not arsed about what gender the pundits/co-commentators are or what level they played the game at. What I find annoying is when they resort to the every-pass/tackle/block/save/shot-must-hit-the-mark standard of opinion. Even the greatest sides ever didn't get everything 100% right.

The truth is that 99% of the stuff that happens on a football pitch doesn't require any comment or explanation; but these people have to keep talking to justify their jobs.

• Upvote 1