You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Just watched the 73 Cup Final on the BBC’ iPlayer when the cup meant something and at a time when a second division side could have that dream that they could win the oldest cup in the world .
To think they beat City in the quarters , Arsenal in the semi final and then Leeds , Shows how much the Premier League and Sky money have fucked up the joy of football 

Loved the trophy Ian Porterfield  got for scoring the winning goal

7b47bc101b5ed9cae85d316febd346654b95e103

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stickman said:

Just watched the 73 Cup Final on the BBC’ iPlayer when the cup meant something and at a time when a second division side could have that dream that they could win the oldest cup in the world .
To think they beat City in the quarters , Arsenal in the semi final and then Leeds , Shows how much the Premier League and Sky money have fucked up the joy of football 

Totally agree.

4 hours ago, Stickman said:

I love the ‘73 Cup Final. Bob Stokoe was ace. 18 years earlier, Stokoe and Don Revie faced each other, as players, in the 1955 Cup Final.

7C3EBA93-1606-46CD-B077-8A907F2A1C95.jpeg

4 hours ago, Stickman said:

Remember it well. Just about the whole country except Newcastle and Leeds was rooting for Sunderland.

Still, it was the exception rather than the rule that a 2nd Division club got to the final back then never mind won it.

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Remember it well. Just about the whole country except Newcastle and Leeds was rooting for Sunderland.

Still, it was the exception rather than the rule that a 2nd Division club got to the final back then never mind won it.

Southampton and West Ham, as well, of course.

57 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I love the ‘73 Cup Final. Bob Stokoe was ace. 18 years earlier, Stokoe and Don Revie faced each other, as players, in the 1955 Cup Final.

7C3EBA93-1606-46CD-B077-8A907F2A1C95.jpeg

Never knew that and Stokoe won that one too....
Also contained the greatest cup final save ....Probably only bettered by Jertzy  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stickman said:

I watched a bit of the BBC 1 stuff today about the FA cup. Cracking bit where they were taking about the reporters on the day during the build-up and one of them was on a Lime St to London train for one of the Liverpool / Everton finals. He stood there surrounded by blues and this kid was decked out in Blue. Shirt, scarf the lot. About 13 years old and the reporter goes "Whose going to win today then?" The kid looked at him like he was a nobhead then went "Who do you think" hahahahaha 

The BBC can play a big part in making the FA Cup special again. Fuck all these starting the broadcast 5 minutes before kick-off right off. Have 3/4 games over Cup weekend on and replays mid-week. Then Final day should be like it used to be. Start the coverage early and make it a full day, a proper event. get the kids who are footy mad looking forward to staying in. Film the coaches as they travel to wembley from the hotel etc. It didn't matter to me who was in the final, I was always sat on the floor in-front of the telly for 5/6 hours on cup final day then straight out the door with my ball once the cup gets lifted. Sky/BT have monopolised the league and european footy so the BBC needs to make the cup its baby. The fucking snooker gets more airtime and broadcast effort (Not that I'm complaining, I fucking love the snooker me) than the cup. 

I ate my words in the end (Thankfully) but I was absolutely raging when I saw our line-up before the Everton cup game. Not only was it the cup but it was a fucking derby as well. We all probably expected to at least get to the champions league final this season the way we are playing but fuck me wouldn't you just love an FA cup final day? 8 years since we lost to Chelsea in the final, we should have got there until we decided to let villa piss on us the other year. I fucking love the Cup.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Alan Smith is a cunt.

I used to do OT in Fords most nights, so had to get this done that night, went to the car radio and said we're a goal down, anyway got back to the pub where I was staying and where it was getting watched, as I was going up the stairs to put my gear away I heard them all shouting, I knew what had happened and I actually fell on my knees in despair absolutely gutted and then faced them cunts in the bar 

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/02/2020 at 07:23, TheHowieLama said:

Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil, 31, was offered a move away from Arsenal on transfer deadline day which manager Mikel Arteta was willing to approve.

On 12/05/2020 at 07:33, TheHowieLama said:

Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil, 31, will not leave the club this summer and instead see out the remaining year left on his Gunners contract.

Former Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil wants to see out the final year of his Arsenal contract but the Gunners want to offload the 31-year-old, who is on £350,000 a week, this summer for financial reasons.

Having to listen to yet another manager on Mesut fuckin Ozil:

The 31-year-old German, who has a year left on his current Arsenal contract, does not appear to be part of Arteta's plans at the Emirates, having not played a single minute since the Premier League restarted.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Huddersfield have sacked the Cowley brothers after 10 months in charge, 2 days after they beat West Brom to stay up! Hope they finish bottom next season!

They have previous,  sacking Jurgens mate for getting relegated from the Prem rather than giving him a blow job for ever getting them there and having them there for 2 seasons. He's doing alright at Schalke I believe.