You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Guest Pistonbroke
14 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I didn't know where else to put this, but FFS...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50221110

Especially considering the amount of Racist crap which goes on over there. I worked with quite a few Italian lads who got awful tetchy when you slagged off religion, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Cardiff City face a three-window transfer ban if they fail to pay Nantes the first installment of the £15m fee for striker Emiliano Sala.

I was just reading about that, you watch them pay up now. Obviously under protest, the cunts. 

On 30/10/2019 at 12:28, Pistonbroke said:

Especially considering the amount of Racist crap which goes on over there. I worked with quite a few Italian lads who got awful tetchy when you slagged off religion, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. 

Facism and all its prejudices are fine but mention your imaginary friend in a bad light and woe betides.

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Cardiff City face a three-window transfer ban if they fail to pay Nantes the first installment of the £15m fee for striker Emiliano Sala.

They'll be lucky if it's just that.  The other clubs should be putting pressure on them, if they don't fulfil their obligations then why would any other club trust them in the future.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Stickman said:

What's with all the "Game Day" shite ?

All the time now on the radio it's looking forward to see how Leicester and Arsenal line up on "game day" or will such and such be fit on "game day"....Not sure where it's come from but it's fucking annoying 

North American thing. 

4 hours ago, Stickman said:

All the time now on the radio it's looking forward to see how Leicester and Arsenal line up on "game day" or will such and such be fit on "game day"....Not sure where it's come from but it's fucking annoying 

Same with 'rounds' when referring to the league as well.

9 hours ago, Stickman said:

Yet another inexorable part of our march to being a 51st state, on a similar note the next time I hear "game changer" I think I'll relay a Glaswegian kiss.

Guest Pistonbroke

Apparently UEFA are looking at holding the 2024 CL final in the United States. 

Never heard of these, maybe's one of our fans in the USA can say if they can be taken seriously. 

https://morningconsult.com/2019/11/08/uefa-targeting-new-york-area-for-2024-champions-league-final-sources-say/

BY ALEX SILVERMANNovember 8, 2019 at 5:41 pm ET

UEFA, the governing body of soccer in Europe, has informed potential commercial partners that it is trying to bring the 2024 UEFA Champions League Final to the United States, according to people familiar with the discussions. If the organization’s efforts are successful, it would be the first time the prestigious club championship is played outside of Europe.

TEAM Marketing AG, a Swiss agency that represents UEFA’s commercial interests for its club soccer properties globally, has informed potential corporate partners and media rights holders that the organization is targeting the New York market for the event, according to people familiar with the talks, and one person with direct knowledge said MetLife Stadium in New Jersey was the preferred venue.

In an email, a UEFA spokesperson said the organization’s position on holding a Champions League Final outside of Europe has not changed since last year, when the organization refuted a claim by the chief executive of its Spanish rights holder, Mediapro, that the organization was “investigating the feasibility” of holding a future edition of the event in New York.

TEAM did not respond to a request for comment.

While it is unclear how far along UEFA is in the process of planning the 2024 Final in the United States, those familiar with the discussions said UEFA and TEAM have not been shy about sharing their intentions with relevant stakeholders.

On Friday, UEFA awarded the U.S. media rights for its club soccer properties, including the Champions League, to CBS Corp. and Univision Communications Inc. from 2021-2024, as was first reported by Sports Business Daily. One person with direct knowledge of the bidding process, which took place over the course of the past week, said TEAM pointed to a potential 2024 final in New York as a selling point in presentations to potential bidders for the three-year package.

UEFA has already announced that the 2022 and 2023 Champions League finals will be held in Munich and London, respectively, but has not selected a location for 2024.

In addition to the Champions League, UEFA’s club rights package includes the second-tier UEFA Europa League and the UEFA Super Cup, which is contested by the previous season’s Champions League and Europa League winners. The package awarded Friday also included the rights for the new third-tier UEFA Europa Conference League, which launches in 2021, and the UEFA Youth League for the first time, according to a person with direct knowledge of the bidding process.

The United States has already proven to be fertile ground for high-profile European soccer clubs, many of which regularly tour the country for preseason exhibitions. Previous efforts by foreign leagues to play competitive games in the United States, however, have faced resistance from the sport’s domestic stakeholders.

Earlier this year, New York-based Relevent Sports Group, which operates a preseason tournament in the United States featuring foreign clubs called the International Champions Cup, filed an antitrust suit against U.S. Soccer, the sport’s domestic governing body, for allegedly working with FIFA to prevent the firm from bringing competitive European soccer matches to America.

One sports media consultant expressed skepticism that U.S. Soccer — which would have to authorize UEFA to hold a final stateside — would be willing to do so given its past posture.

Neither Relevent nor U.S. Soccer responded to a request for comment on the prospect of a Champions League Final being held on U.S. soil.

Could have put this in the City thread but I suppose it’s just an example of what happens no matter who people support.

It’s this ridiculous support for footballers and attempts to justify everything they do just because they play for the team ‘you’ support.

This Sterling thing, you want to see that Bluemoon ‘Raz should tell them to fuck off’ ‘Southgate’s a cunt’ ‘Gomez should be sent home as well’ 

Same for Bernardo Silva, because he plays for City they defend him, if he played for someone else they’d be wanting him nailed to a wall. 

I understand that it’s just tribalism and people will talk about ‘defending your own’ but it’s people not accepting the possibility it might be that the player is a cunt no matter who he plays for. 

Do they think if they got in trouble that any of the players would give even the smallest turd about defending them. It’s just a job to most players and I bet they think fans are just oddballs that are there to be tolerated. 

And I know that’s not all, you see and hear of some doing good work in the community or being generally nice lads but these City fans cannot be deluded enough to think Sterling cares about them. 

Also, I cringe when I see people type ‘Raz’ as though he’s their mate. 

• Upvote 2