You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

4 hours ago, Trumo said:

In the case of Norwich, I can't see why they even need 3 kits given that their home kit barely clashes with any other team's kit. In the case of Watford, their home kit is a half-and-half (yellow and black) with black shorts, so would clash with Newcastle's black-and-white (mostly black) home kit. Watford away kit for this season is dark navy so would also clash, hence why they had to use their green away kit from last season.

But I agree with the crux of your point, of teams using away kits when there is no clash. We've been guilty of it in the past ourselves. I seem to recall us playing at Spurs wearing our black away kit a few years ago. It is nothing but a cynical ploy to sell more kits.

I'd imagine that, even though I completely agree with the gist of your point,smaller PL teams and lower league teams get a fair chunk of their profits from shirt sales. Its more shitness that this bollocks has to happen.

On 01/09/2019 at 13:54, Le Duan said:

Two clear examples yesterday of away teams unnecessarily changing their kit. Watford and Norwich - both play in bright yellow for fucks sake - unless they’re playing each other or Wolves - why do they need to use their all-dark second kit to play Newcastle and West Ham respectively? So fucking cynical and clearly aimed at ‘selling’ yet more shirts. Premier League need to rule on this to prevent it. 

I thought we should have been in our white kit against Burnley on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

I thought we should have been in our white kit against Burnley on Saturday.

Agreed - the only difference in tone of colour, was the sleeves (pale blue). If they’re claret, then the Kits are almost indistinguishable-anyone watching in black & white would be lost. And maybe that’s the test that should be applied....how different would these look like in black/white?

Fair comment VI , I only mentioned that number initially because it was the first one on screen

67,22,42,8,17,19,49.33.23.2.6.21,13,15. were the numbers of the fourteen players Celtic used.

I understand there will be some players with a specific attachment to a number but that sequence above seems ridiculous for what was ( presumably for an old firm game ) Celtic's best team.

( Not a jab at Celtic specifically either , don't watch many full games other than ours & it caught my eye )

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

Fair comment VI , I only mentioned that number initially because it was the first one on screen

67,22,42,8,17,19,49.33.23.2.6.21,13,15. were the numbers of the fourteen players Celtic used.

I understand there will be some players with a specific attachment to a number but that sequence above seems ridiculous for what was ( presumably for an old firm game ) Celtic's best team.

( Not a jab at Celtic specifically either , don't watch many full games other than ours & it caught my eye )

I agree its stupid but once 1-11 and subs disappeared it became open season.

5 hours ago, sir roger said:

It wasn't their best starting 11 and teams don't often change numbers round in the summer. A few of them players were signed in the summer and peter broke through mid-way through last season. Still.... as important as 67 is it is still ridiculous. 

Todays gripe from me - 2 year loan deals. I understand loaning out young players to lower leagues for a s eason to get them some competitive game-time but fuck me a decent players career is rarely more than about 15 years at the top level and Rebic (Cracking player) has gone to Milan for 2 years.....on-loan. Load of bollocks. I know Rodriguez did it between Real and Bayern a few years ago. Its a joke. 

Oh and Sanchez saying he enjoyed his time at UTD. I bet he fucking did. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

It wasn't their best starting 11 and teams don't often change numbers round in the summer. A few of them players were signed in the summer and peter broke through mid-way through last season. Still.... as important as 67 is it is still ridiculous. 

Todays gripe from me - 2 year loan deals. I understand loaning out young players to lower leagues for a s eason to get them some competitive game-time but fuck me a decent players career is rarely more than about 15 years at the top level and Rebic (Cracking player) has gone to Milan for 2 years.....on-loan. Load of bollocks. I know Rodriguez did it between Real and Bayern a few years ago. Its a joke. 

Oh and Sanchez saying he enjoyed his time at UTD. I bet he fucking did. 

Is T-I-M-E a new-fangled term for money now? Honestly, kids these days...

On 31/08/2019 at 23:33, Chocoholic said:

Fair play to Spurs for this. The prevalence of betting company sponsorships is really depressing and a fundamental element in the shitness of modern football. 

They need to have a unified message, though. Harry Kane is part of a campaign in Kenya where there's a massive gambling problem and a huge spike in suicides linked to gambling debts.

I don't think they dropped them because they're a betting company, they dropped them because they had their UK operating license withdrawn. We've taken them down off our website, but as far as I know not cancelled the relationship yet. 

7 hours ago, cloggypop said:

ED8JKbhW4AYcZ0I?format=jpg&name=small

Normally that's the kind of photo that someone famous would do everything in the their power to prevent ever seeing the light of day. In this case it seems to be a genuine photo opportunity.

Black trousers and yellow socks? At least they go with the car.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Normally that's the kind of photo that someone famous would do everything in the their power to prevent ever seeing the light of day. In this case it seems to be a genuine photo opportunity.

Black trousers and yellow socks? At least they go with the car.

Is that a homeless guy next to the car?

On 02/09/2019 at 14:08, Le Duan said:

Agreed - the only difference in tone of colour, was the sleeves (pale blue). If they’re claret, then the Kits are almost indistinguishable-anyone watching in black & white would be lost. And maybe that’s the test that should be applied....how different would these look like in black/white?

I believe there are some rules around kits that teams wear based on colour blindness of viewers on TV. I've only heard of them in relation to international football though, so can't say exactly if the FA / PL have similar. 

15 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

I believe there are some rules around kits that teams wear based on colour blindness of viewers on TV. I've only heard of them in relation to international football though, so can't say exactly if the FA / PL have similar. 

The thing with every team changing every strip every season, probably forces clubs to feel they have to change when there's no clash, just so some away kits are worn just once or something.