You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Is it potentially any more boring than the endless predictability of Man City and the rest of the top 4 smashing the shite that clogs up the PL week in week out.....is it any more boring than lifeless atmospheres for home games v the dross where all you can hear is a load of small time meffs going through the small time meffs songbook as their team get bummed?

Imagine being close to Man City in that table and pushing to win it and we've just beat Chelsea and instead of hoping Fulham can pull off a fucking miracle against them before seeing them lose 4-0, or looking and seeing they are 5-0 up at home to Cardiff when you really need them to drop points they are away at Bayern Munich or have Juventus.

I think done right without it being a closed shop and with proper feeding in and out with national leagues it could refresh things and provide proper competition where every week results are genuinely in the balance.

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

Is it potentially any more boring than the endless predictability of Man City and the rest of the top 4 smashing the shite that clogs up the PL week in week out.....is it any more boring than lifeless atmospheres for home games v the dross where all you can hear is a load of small time meffs going through the small time meffs songbook as their team get bummed?

Imagine being close to Man City in that table and pushing to win it and we've just beat Chelsea and instead of hoping Fulham can pull off a fucking miracle against them before seeing them lose 4-0, or looking and seeing they are 5-0 up at home to Cardiff when you really need them to drop points they are away at Bayern Munich or have Juventus.

I think done right without it being a closed shop and with proper feeding in and out with national leagues it could refresh things and provide proper competition where every week results are genuinely in the balance.

It's the feeding in and out that would be the problem. 

The advent of the Premier league created a bit of a gulf in income compared to the championship downwards. 

This is just going to create another Elite level, where only the top 4 can potentially qualify for the super league. Those top 4 getting even more income, further solidifying their place. 

6 minutes ago, Aventus said:

It's the feeding in and out that would be the problem. 

The advent of the Premier league created a bit of a gulf in income compared to the championship downwards. 

This is just going to create another Elite level, where only the top 4 can potentially qualify for the super league. Those top 4 getting even more income, further solidifying their place. 

I agree the feeding in and out would be a big problem as of course travel would be for fans too.

But I personally would like to see better competition than what the PL has become and is increasingly becoming.

Week after week after week the top sides just walking over teams with zero ambition, very little quality and worse still a lot of the time resigned to defeat before they even start, saving themselves for 'winnable' games to ensure they can solidify their place in the PL money pit.

It is ironic really that yeah there is an issue with top sides solidifying their place but also because the rewards for mediocrity are so vast the PL sees teams desperate to and even worse happy to solidify rank mediocrity 

This European super league is why all the Americans are here. They'd just want an nfl style cash cow. Boring as shit. I've been falling out of love with football for a long time, very soon they'll get why they want. They'll be rid of us who've been for years and the stadiums will be 75% hospitality watching meaningless games, but nobody will care about as they're pissed in the lounges. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry Wom said:

This European super league is why all the Americans are here. They'd just want an nfl style cash cow. Boring as shit. I've been falling out of love with football for a long time, very soon they'll get why they want. They'll be rid of us who've been for years and the stadiums will be 75% hospitality watching meaningless games, but nobody will care about as they're pissed in the lounges. 

And 5/10 years later the sport will reboot as it will become increasingly difficult to market the "drama" of a sport when there is no-one in the stadium creating an atmosphere. 

Actually, perhaps they'll just pipe in some noise.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

And 5/10 years later the sport will reboot as it will become increasingly difficult to market the "drama" of a sport when there is no-one in the stadium creating an atmosphere. 

Actually, perhaps they'll just pipe in some noise.

There'll be a few thousand behind the goals who they'll get singing and they'll pay for that if they need to. The  CL final is a step on that direction already. 

On 11/3/2018 at 8:58 AM, Vincent Vega said:

And to remain on topic for this thread, you’d just know our owners would be involved in this shitshow:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/02/five-english-clubs-named-in-super-league-plan-chelsea-manchester-city-united-arsenal-liverpool

I think that would be the end of my interest in modern top level football, I would honestly rather watch my local non-league team than that money driven nonsense.

Its just the CL with another name and jumping straight to the knockout stages by getting rid of the dross.

Rooney is unretiring from international football to play in a friendly against USA.

If the game has such little importance for anything other than branding purposes, field a full team of washed up nomarks and leave our players alone.

He is Englands all-time top scorer so no harm in them recognising that. The annoying thing is, its yet another pointless England game where clubs get shafted when their players get injured. I fucking love The World Cup and the Euros but other than that, International football can fuck off. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He is Englands all-time top scorer so no harm in them recognising that. The annoying thing is, its yet another pointless England game where clubs get shafted when their players get injured. I fucking love The World Cup and the Euros but other than that, International football can fuck off. 

I enjoy those tournaments much more when England aren't in them.

That Super League would be branded as the Mega-Super League within 10 years, the Juventus White Sox would relocate to London, Manchester Tiger Blues would move to Tampa or something and the Liverpool Reds franchise would be open to bids from any country who wants to take them on.

The only reason I quite like the talk about it is because it's giving the FA a taste of their own medicine when they snidely shafted the Football League in 1992.

Talk is fine, but it should not happen.

13 minutes ago, razor said:

That Super League would be branded as the Mega-Super League within 10 years, the Juventus White Sox would relocate to London, Manchester Tiger Blues would move to Tampa or something and the Liverpool Reds franchise would be open to bids from any country who wants to take them on.

The only reason I quite like the talk about it is because it's giving the FA a taste of their own medicine when they snidely shafted the Football League in 1992.

Rollerball lives!

16 minutes ago, razor said:

China Buys Liverpool Reds!