You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

14 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Isn't there trial late Saturday kickoffs in preparation for the next TV deal? They're seeing if it is good or bad for viewing figures. 

Considering Italian and Spanish games kick off later(our time) and are well viewed by the football fan at large I'd say it's fine for the tv viewer but stinks for the matchgoer. Hence it will most likely become a thing because matchgoers are not important in the minds of the passengers of the gravy train,tv execs et al.

I can’t see it having great viewing figures unless you count everyone who is in a pub that has it on whether they’re watching or not.

having said that, for the “at home” tv viewer, 5:30 has to be a worse time for a kick off, surely.

On 11/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, VladimirIlyich said:

Considering Italian and Spanish games kick off later(our time) and are well viewed by the football fan at large I'd say it's fine for the tv viewer but stinks for the matchgoer. Hence it will most likely become a thing because matchgoers are not important in the minds of the passengers of the gravy train,tv execs et al.

It's also international audiences though isn't it? Better for USA. 

It's mainly because Saturday 3pm broadcasts aren't allowed in the UK. Something about it affecting Saturday retail etc. If you look at the state of most UK city centres, they are awash with takeaways, bookies, vape shops etc so there really isn't an awful lot to protect, and online shopping is also helping to kill off High Streets. Bookies and pubs are unlikely to be affected if the government allow live football to be broadcast at 3pm in my opinion, because it fits in well with the usual matchday activities of a lot of fans, and 3pm is still the best time slot for football at the weekend because it is less awkward for fans travelling to and from matches.

I still think that it is possible for the league to have only 2 weekend windows for matches, on Saturday and Sunday (I'd prefer Saturdays only but with some teams playing European football on Thursdays, the Sunday time slot in necessary), with all matches kicking off at the same time. I also think the TV companies can provide live coverage of all the matches and let the fans choose which match they want to follow, along with a format like Soccer Saturday or the European Goals Show where a panel talk around and show us key moments.

The opportunity is there and the audience is there, and I don't think the money side of it would be affected at all.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

It's mainly because Saturday 3pm broadcasts aren't allowed in the UK. Something about it affecting Saturday retail etc. If you look at the state of most UK city centres, they are awash with takeaways, bookies, vape shops etc so there really isn't an awful lot to protect, and online shopping is also helping to kill off High Streets. 

A bit dismissive of Charity Shops and Greggs there, Trumo.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

It's mainly because Saturday 3pm broadcasts aren't allowed in the UK. Something about it affecting Saturday retail etc. If you look at the state of most UK city centres, they are awash with takeaways, bookies, vape shops etc so there really isn't an awful lot to protect, and online shopping is also helping to kill off High Streets. Bookies and pubs are unlikely to be affected if the government allow live football to be broadcast at 3pm in my opinion, because it fits in well with the usual matchday activities of a lot of fans, and 3pm is still the best time slot for football at the weekend because it is less awkward for fans travelling to and from matches.

I still think that it is possible for the league to have only 2 weekend windows for matches, on Saturday and Sunday (I'd prefer Saturdays only but with some teams playing European football on Thursdays, the Sunday time slot in necessary), with all matches kicking off at the same time. I also think the TV companies can provide live coverage of all the matches and let the fans choose which match they want to follow, along with a format like Soccer Saturday or the European Goals Show where a panel talk around and show us key moments.

The opportunity is there and the audience is there, and I don't think the money side of it would be affected at all.

Was it not to protect lower league / non-league attendances, rather than the high street? 

And to remain on topic for this thread, you’d just know our owners would be involved in this shitshow:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/02/five-english-clubs-named-in-super-league-plan-chelsea-manchester-city-united-arsenal-liverpool

I think that would be the end of my interest in modern top level football, I would honestly rather watch my local non-league team than that money driven nonsense.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

And to remain on topic for this thread, you’d just know our owners would be involved in this shitshow:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/02/five-english-clubs-named-in-super-league-plan-chelsea-manchester-city-united-arsenal-liverpool

I think that would be the end of my interest in modern top level football, I would honestly rather watch my local non-league team than that money driven nonsense.

Me too, a super league as described here is not for me. I like the whole domestic leagues with a separate European competition. Would soon get bored of watching a few rich clubs play each other over and over again.

Separately the BBC website report suggests we weren't involved in the initial discussions...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46078651

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RedPaul said:

Me too, a super league as described here is not for me. I like the whole domestic leagues with a separate European competition. Would soon get bored of watching a few rich clubs play each other over and over again.

Separately the BBC website report suggests we weren't involved in the initial discussions...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46078651

Fucking hell, it’s even worse than I thought reading that.

Arsenal as one of the instigators? Hardly European royalty with their one Fairs Cup and a Cup Winners Cup. The cheek of it. 

Hopefully fans of all these clubs will make their thoughts known and this gets kiboshed before it gets off the ground. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Fucking hell, it’s even worse than I thought reading that.

Arsenal as one of the instigators? Hardly European royalty with their one Fairs Cup and a Cup Winners Cup. The cheek of it. 

Hopefully fans of all thesefore it gets off the ground. e clubs will make their thoughts known and this gets kiboshed b

I doubt the real fans will have much of a say, the ones that can afford the corporate hospitality and the outrageously expensive ticket prices will be quite happy watching Bayern or Barca week in week out.

26 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I doubt the real fans will have much of a say, the ones that can afford the corporate hospitality and the outrageously expensive ticket prices will be quite happy watching Bayern or Barca week in week out.

Agree.

Indeed, it'll probably be a world wide circus, you could easily see games in the US or Australia - and they might sell out quite a few.