You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Cup winners cup.

European super league.

Actual "champions" tournament.

Any other thoughts on what it could be that they are planning?

It is stated that 96 teams will play in the comps as opposed to current 80.

That smells to me like 3 lots of 32.

CL will remain as is but my guess would just see the top however many leagues represented...maybe a lot less qualifiers/qualifying rounds

The champions of the shitter leagues/those failed to qualify in 2nd comp...

The rest that would have made up most of Europa league shunted into a the 3rd comp

Thought Agnelli's comments about 'modernising' the current formates were pretty telling. Obviously this is just speculation, I wouldn't be surprised if this in some way a move towards a European Super League with the two other tournaments being of an equal stature offering token promotion slots to the winners as a form of lip service to competition or some kind of jeopardy involved.

The removal of jeopardy from the sport is obviously an imperative aim of the big clubs because it severely impacts on their ability to make money. Rumenigge said it was disgraceful- or words to that effect- when Bayern drew Juve in the last 16 of the CL a few years back, meaning that one of the big hitters was going out, while other ties in that round included Wolfsburg v Gent and Zenit v Benfica.

Similar to the late 80's when the movement towards the CL started on account of Real Madrid drawing Maradona's Napoli in the first round and Berlusconi thought it was mental because one of the big draws going out so early would have an impact on TV viewing figures.

The irony is that it's the element of jeopardy that keeps us going back in the first place. Really, who the fuck is tuning in to watch, say, PSG v Juve in what could conceivably be a midtable dead rubber in a Super League format? Plus, a whole host of gimp fans at clubs have grown not used to seeing their club lose, so could see a load of fairweathers jacking it in easily. Plus, all you'd need is for Barca and Real to suffer a string of defeats- again, perfectly conceivable in such a format- and the toys would go out the pram and demands for further rejigging would grow.

I’d only watch PSG v Juve if it was the European Cup Final. Otherwise I’d have pretty much zero interest in it. I’m borderline bored with football outside of Liverpool, my Irish League team & Northern Ireland Internationals.

So basically a revamped Cup Winners Cup which they got rid of.

Yep. And a very good competition it was. The Champions League has usurped both the old European Cup and UEFA Cup and turned them into one competition. Bin off the Europa League and re-ignite the CWC so teams will take cup competitions more seriously. That won't happen but its a better suggestion than having three competitions again.

Everton won't like that.

I thought that they would like that.

Isn't it the only trophy they've won that we haven't? As it stands it doesn't count of it doesn't exist anymore, or if you want to wind them up say the cwc and uefa cup are now the same thing, so we've won it more than they have.

Not sure where to put this but I guess I'll post it on here as for every Sterling , Ali and young player who make it and come across as a bit of a tit at times it's still a very tough profession to make it in.

Although maybe not as tough as back in the day....

• Upvote 4

The better we do and the more nights like last night, the more anxious I get about our manager and best players being touted to Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG.... They will all be looking over and preparing their cheques/fake agent blabs/newspaper stories/absolute shithousery. 

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The better we do and the more nights like last night, the more anxious I get about our manager and best players being touted to Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG.... They will all be looking over and preparing their cheques/fake agent blabs/newspaper stories/absolute shithousery. 

If there is a player in our side who after seeing that bunch of mercenary shithouses last night wants to join PSG then you know what he can fuck off - they are welcome to him. That isn't a football club or team in anything other than name.

As for those other clubs - the best way to keep the wolf from the door is to be seen as a club where players will fulfil their aims to win things and compete at the very highest level.

If we carry on on our current trajectory we will do just that and even become a club the best and most ambitious want to be at

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

WARNING! WARNING!

Don't give the twerp who created the above video the satisfaction of a click. 

Some of the shit coming out of his mouth is truly deserving of shitness of modern football. How do people make a living out of this shit? Never seen him before and I'll be happy not to see him again.