You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

The 10 year anniversary of oil money coming to City being celebrated today

We’d have won a PL title if it wasn’t for those financially doped cunts.

I’ll never get the media fawning over them, everything they do just washes over me. The same with Chelsea. I despise the Mancs, and have no time for Spurs and Arsenal, but at least everything they do and have done have been done the proper way.

The lesser clubs know that if they try to play good football they will get hammered and drop out of the PL,lose their budget and best players so stick with what they know works well enough to keep them competitive enough. It's the pollution of money into the top of the game and the starvation of everybody else which has turned the game into a European Super League but without the actual title to go with it.

Bournemouth have survived for 4 years with one of the lowest budgets in the division and I'd say outside the top 6, they play the most offensive and attractive football. It can be done with the right manager and structure in place.

These other clubs don't get that for the most part, the mood around the club from the players to the supporters to the media is much more negative and less conducive to relative success when playing pragmatic, shite football. 

Bournemouth have survived for 4 years with one of the lowest budgets in the division and I'd say outside the top 6, they play the most offensive and attractive football. It can be done with the right manager and structure in place.

These other clubs don't get that for the most part, the mood around the club from the players to the supporters to the media is much more negative and less conducive to relative success when playing pragmatic, shite football.

Yet Bournemouth have never reached a European competition placing while Burnley and Stoke??? or similar have.

Stoke and WBA went down playing alehouse football. Swansea went with them trying to play ball but it was mismanagement rather style that did for them.

This season Wolves and Fulham will try play ball and will be alright, Cardiff will be back in the alehouse by Christmas with their prehistoric football.

The problem as I see it is not with the premier league clubs but the club's lower down the league's. Admittedly my evidence is based on occasional cup ties and the odd viewing of goals on Sunday but every one of them appears to have a big John Parkin up front and an 6.6" knacker at centre back. If you got 30 of the 60 odd clubs playing proper football the players would make their way through to the top clubs.

The best football a side like that could muster is two cuts below what a top clubs youth team can play at. There are no quality players being held back because of this - if anything it is keeping traditional English strikers and centre halves employed.

Be interesting to see what they’ve got planned. The Europa league was completely on its arse a few years ago and it’s only slightly recovered because of them introducing the qualification for the champions league by winning it. None of the champions league level clubs want to be in it because it doesn’t make them enough money and also then impacts on the league performances and subsequent chance of qualifying for the champions league.

Then you’ve got the lower level teams who do actually qualify for the Europa league getting knocked out early themselves nearly every single year. I think it’s partly down to the fact that they know in the later stages the champions league failures drop into the pot meaning it is near enough impossible for them to win.

What is a third competition going to achieve? I’ve seen people say money is the incentive, but what money? The Europa league doesn’t make enough for people to make it worthwhile so what will a third competition do? Nobody is going to be tuning in to Bournemouth v Alaves. I doubt even their own fans would.

Maybe I’m just looking at it from an English point of view. We have two cups already over here whereas in most countries there is just one. The other countries are probably trying to come up with other ways for their lower teams to make money so that they can compete in their 1/2 team leagues and make them more competitive. It’s obviously a no go that they actually spread the current money out more fairly. They don’t want to take some short term pain for the long term gain.

Maybe they would take it more seriously. I doubt it though. A third competition will die on its arse within a couple of years I think.

So basically a revamped Cup Winners Cup which they got rid of.

I can’t see it being that. Most of the teams that win their cup qualify for the champions league anyway and if it’s a third competition without the chance of qualifying for the champions league off the back of winning it then why would they want to enter that and not the Europa league. I can’t see them giving a new competition also the chance of qualifying for the champions league because that would potentially mean 6 teams from the same country. It’s a batshit idea.

Thought Agnelli's comments about 'modernising' the current formates were pretty telling. Obviously this is just speculation, I wouldn't be surprised if this in some way a move towards a European Super League with the two other tournaments being of an equal stature offering token promotion slots to the winners as a form of lip service to competition or some kind of jeopardy involved.

The removal of jeopardy from the sport is obviously an imperative aim of the big clubs because it severely impacts on their ability to make money. Rumenigge said it was disgraceful- or words to that effect- when Bayern drew Juve in the last 16 of the CL a few years back, meaning that one of the big hitters was going out, while other ties in that round included Wolfsburg v Gent and Zenit v Benfica.

Similar to the late 80's when the movement towards the CL started on account of Real Madrid drawing Maradona's Napoli in the first round and Berlusconi thought it was mental because one of the big draws going out so early would have an impact on TV viewing figures.

The irony is that it's the element of jeopardy that keeps us going back in the first place. Really, who the fuck is tuning in to watch, say, PSG v Juve in what could conceivably be a midtable dead rubber in a Super League format? Plus, a whole host of gimp fans at clubs have grown not used to seeing their club lose, so could see a load of fairweathers jacking it in easily. Plus, all you'd need is for Barca and Real to suffer a string of defeats- again, perfectly conceivable in such a format- and the toys would go out the pram and demands for further rejigging would grow.

• Upvote 5

Presuming it'll be a third tier competition, it'll siphon off the shitter teams from the Europa League and make it a bit less gruelling to win. Not sure who would be interested in watching AEK Larnaca vs. Videoton outside of their own fans like.

Everton might be in with a shout of getting some European silverware.