You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

What is this attempt to manufacture a rivalry between Man City and Liverpool? No one cares about them besides Manchester United and even then they mostly care more about Liverpool than City.

Same with Spurs and Chelsea tried it 10 years back.

As a complete nerd I now feel vindicated that my two main gripes have now been looked at.

I have been boring mates at the game for years about our shit throw-ins and lack of ball-boys.

I can now die happy.

You’re not alone. I’ve been pissed off by tha lack of ball-boys for as long as I can remember.

And if you take a look at some of the goals and chances against last season far too many came after throw-ins against us from what should be harmless positions. This throw-in coach apparantly doesn’t only coach the actual throwing of the ball, but also the tactics around throw-ins.

• Upvote 1

You’re not alone. I’ve been pissed off by tha lack of ball-boys for as long as I can remember.

And if you take a look at some of the goals and chances against last season far too many came after throw-ins against us from what should be harmless positions. This throw-in coach apparantly doesn’t only coach the actual throwing of the ball, but also the tactics around throw-ins.

The Sevilla one at home sticks in my mind, Joey. A nothing throw in halfway in our half, two touches & bang.

Re ballboys, I have recurring nightmares about watching opposition goalkeepers walking very slowly towards the corner flag to pick up a ball , walking back very slowly to the far edge of the 6 yard box and then taking another age before actually taking the kick.

The Sevilla one at home sticks in my mind, Joey. A nothing throw in halfway in our half, two touches & bang.

Re ballboys, I have recurring nightmares about watching opposition goalkeepers walking very slowly towards the corner flag to pick up a ball , walking back very slowly to the far edge of the 6 yard box and then taking another age before actually taking the kick.

Yep, we should make sure we have a few ball balls down in the corner areas to just get the ball back into play as quick as possible in these situations.

Shitness of modern football

Burnley not played in Europe since 1967 and empty seats in the final qualifier tonight. 3-1 down going into the home leg against bang average Greek team.

They played okay but couldn't finish.

But you would expect a full and rocking stadium

• Upvote 1

Shitness of modern football

Burnley not played in Europe since 1967 and empty seats in the final qualifier tonight. 3-1 down going into the home leg against bang average Greek team.

They played okay but couldn't finish.

But you would expect a full and rocking stadium

I detest Burnley, Stoke wannabees and their manager can fuck right off with his Maureen style of play. 

That said it is ridicously poor not to qualify for the group stages. There won't be many european nights for them in the future.

I detest Burnley, Stoke wannabees and their manager can fuck right off with his Maureen style of play.

That said it is ridicously poor not to qualify for the group stages. There won't be many european nights for them in the future.

I don't mind Burnley,they know where their strengths lie and play in a way they can use them best. Dyche is ok too. Teams below the top six are now so far behind those top clubs that they,and the top half championship clubs,are playing in a totally different league. Below those championship clubs the budgets and standards drop again dramatically. I don't think you can blame clubs for cutting their cloth appropriately.

I don't mind Burnley,they know where their strengths lie and play in a way they can use them best. Dyche is ok too. Teams below the top six are now so far behind those top clubs that they,and the top half championship clubs,are playing in a totally different league. Below those championship clubs the budgets and standards drop again dramatically. I don't think you can blame clubs for cutting their cloth appropriately.

You are probably right. But the money in the PL is insane. Most of them should be able to buy decent footballers, not just alehouse cloggers. The Mourinho style catenaccio days are pretty much over. The problem is the education of british coaches it is definetly below par. We see it time and time again, that the british LMA disciples keep failing. It took years for Germany and especially Belgium to change their ways. The guy responsible for Belgiums turn around was  called crazy and should be commited when he visited clubs and gave them all new training regimes and strategy in developing players. In the end it took and look at them now.

It's a grassroot change that needs to be done, but as long as alehouse is the go to survival tool things will have a really hard time adopting to a new era, where defenders can play football and not just head and kick it long into row Z. Where big physical kids get selected for youth and techniqal players weeded out because they can't kick an opponent as well as the twice as big kid, who will never develop into a good senior footballer. Not saying the physical ones can't develop aswell, but over the years it have proven the wrong selection formula. 

Looking at the English youth football, the lack of competitive games are a huge concern. Growing as a footballer means getting exposed to competitive football against likewise talented youth or seniors at at bit more low level. In Denmark your second team can play what equals fourth division, and alot of youth play in those games besides their respective youth leagues. But B teams in England will probably be a no go forever unless there is that grassroot change. 

Someone posted here a diagram for how it could look if B teams were allowed. Can't remember the name, but it was a real good option. 

You are probably right. But the money in the PL is insane. Most of them should be able to buy decent footballers, not just alehouse cloggers. The Mourinho style catenaccio days are pretty much over. The problem is the education of british coaches it is definetly below par. We see it time and time again, that the british LMA disciples keep failing. It took years for Germany and especially Belgium to change their ways. The guy responsible for Belgiums turn around was called crazy and should be commited when he visited clubs and gave them all new training regimes and strategy in developing players. In the end it took and look at them now.

It's a grassroot change that needs to be done, but as long as alehouse is the go to survival tool things will have a really hard time adopting to a new era, where defenders can play football and not just head and kick it long into row Z. Where big physical kids get selected for youth and techniqal players weeded out because they can't kick an opponent as well as the twice as big kid, who will never develop into a good senior footballer. Not saying the physical ones can't develop aswell, but over the years it have proven the wrong selection formula.

Looking at the English youth football, the lack of competitive games are a huge concern. Growing as a footballer means getting exposed to competitive football against likewise talented youth or seniors at at bit more low level. In Denmark your second team can play what equals fourth division, and alot of youth play in those games besides their respective youth leagues. But B teams in England will probably be a no go forever unless there is that grassroot change.

Someone posted here a diagram for how it could look if B teams were allowed. Can't remember the name, but it was a real good option.

The lesser clubs know that if they try to play good football they will get hammered and drop out of the PL,lose their budget and best players so stick with what they know works well enough to keep them competitive enough. It's the pollution of money into the top of the game and the starvation of everybody else which has turned the game into a European Super League but without the actual title to go with it.

The lesser clubs know that if they try to play good football they will get hammered and drop out of the PL,lose their budget and best players so stick with what they know works well enough to keep them competitive enough. It's the pollution of money into the top of the game and the starvation of everybody else which has turned the game into a European Super League but without the actual title to go with it.

Stoke and WBA went down playing alehouse football. Swansea went with them trying to play ball but it was mismanagement rather style that did for them.

This season Wolves and Fulham will try play ball and will be alright, Cardiff will be back in the alehouse by Christmas with their prehistoric football.

The problem as I see it is not with the premier league clubs but the club's lower down the league's. Admittedly my evidence is based on occasional cup ties and the odd viewing of goals on Sunday but every one of them appears to have a big John Parkin up front and an 6.6" knacker at centre back. If you got 30 of the 60 odd clubs playing proper football the players would make their way through to the top clubs.

Couldnt have put it better regarding ball boys. The complete opposite being the Spanish giants. If they’re chasing a game at home you’ll see a new ball thrown in immediately when the ball goes out of play. Not a second wasted on chasing the ball, a new one available straight away, to allow the home team to get going right away, or put pressure on the opponent to not waste time.

Their ball boys are as drilled as their first eleven for those situations.

• Upvote 1

Stoke and WBA went down playing alehouse football. Swansea went with them trying to play ball but it was mismanagement rather style that did for them.

This season Wolves and Fulham will try play ball and will be alright, Cardiff will be back in the alehouse by Christmas with their prehistoric football.

The problem as I see it is not with the premier league clubs but the club's lower down the league's. Admittedly my evidence is based on occasional cup ties and the odd viewing of goals on Sunday but every one of them appears to have a big John Parkin up front and an 6.6" knacker at centre back. If you got 30 of the 60 odd clubs playing proper football the players would make their way through to the top clubs.

WBA actually played ok football but neither they or Stoke seemed to have the players who wanted to dig them out. Managerial merry go rounds don't help either. It's all about the here and now in English football and nobody is willing to look 5-10 years ahead.